Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thekingofnerds

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
From CNBC

Michael Dell clinched shareholder approval on Thursday for his $25 billion offer to buy and take Dell private, ending months of conflict with the company's largest investors and removing the uncertainty surrounding the world's No. 3 PC maker.

Shareholders cast their votes at a special meeting on Thursday morning in Austin, Texas. Based on preliminary results, the buyout won their go-ahead and the deal is expected to close before the end of Dell's fiscal third quarter...

All Windows vs Mac, Apple Vs Dell BS aside - What do you guys think? Good or bad?

Maybe they can go back to focusing on what is most important - their customers. Supposedly they will be shifting and focusing more on enterprise solutions.

Dell, who founded the company from a college dorm-room in 1984, and partner Silver Lake fought for months to convince skeptical investors his offer was the best option. This week, he gained the upper hand after one of his staunchest opponents, activist investor Icahn, bowed out of the conflict because he said it was "impossible to win."

And on a good note - Icahn lost a fight. Everyone wins! Hah.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Doesn't mater who owns them at this point. They've completely missed out on mobile.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I'd like to know where Michael Dell is getting 25B bucks.

He won't be the sole owner and I'd guess the investors will have a say in how the company is run.

MyMac1976

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2013
It's a good thing now maybe dell can get back in the business of building good stuff again instead of satisfying share holders.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
So Dell is returning money to its shareholders?

More like Michael Dell succeeded in STEALING the money invested by the shareholders. The shareholders, at least those who have been around for years when DELL was worth a lot more, have lost most of their money. True, Michael Dell "bought back" his company, but in doing so he only paid back the investors a small fraction of what they originally invested in the company.

For the investors/shareholders... much pity to them.

For Michael Dell.... you are lucky you are getting away with this. Once a corporation goes public, it is a rare feat to reverse it back to a privately owned company. Michael Dell, you have accomplished a rare feat! Good on ya, you Robber Baron, you.

----------

On a bad note, he now is part of the Apple group. Icahn, for me, spells trouble. He will try to run Apple like he tried with Dell and in the process run over Apple's image.

Yes, this makes me apprehensive as well. Carl has gutted a lot of former iconic companies.... I remember TWA from my early childhood, one of the great international airlines in those days.

BittenApple

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
More like Michael Dell succeeded in STEALING the money invested by the shareholders. The shareholders, at least those who have been around for years when DELL was worth a lot more, have lost most of their money. True, Michael Dell "bought back" his company, but in doing so he only paid back the investors a small fraction of what they originally invested in the company.

For Michael Dell.... you are lucky you are getting away with this. Once a corporation goes public, it is a rare feat to reverse it back to a privately owned company. Michael Dell, you have accomplished a rare feat! Good on ya, you Robber Baron, you.

----------

Yes, this makes me apprehensive as well. Carl has gutted a lot of former iconic companies.... I remember TWA from my early childhood, one of the great international airlines in those days.

The markets aren't charity. You play to win.

darkplanets

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2009

Since when is share devaluation stealing? It's all a part of the game, and you play to win. Let's be honest for a moment -- investment is essentially legalized gambling.

Those who were smart enough sold their Dell shares long, long ago. Who's to say anyone still has Dell shares from their heyday? That'd be downright stupid. I doubt many were actually "burned" or "stolen from" since they probably bought in quite recently after the share price already tanked, or upon news of the impending buyback.

Regardless of peoples misconceptions, this is quite good for Dell and it's employees. Icahn would have driven a stake in the company and gutted it alive.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
This good because Micheal Dell will try to create something new and better out of Dell instead of making cheap crap and use financial tricks to push the share prices up like Icahn likes to do.

I hope Dell succeeds. Although of course the old (now outdated) quote about Apple comes to mind. However Micheal Dell proves that he follow through on what he promises.

I hope Dell comes up with something good (high end workstations, high end notebooks, servers, TV's or monitors that can be folded up, notebooks for $9.98 or whatever).

thekingofnerds

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2013
I hope Dell comes up with something good (high end workstations, high end notebooks, servers, TV's or monitors that can be folded up, notebooks for $9.98 or whatever).

Agreed - I know numerous tech companies that still rely heavily on their enterprise solutions (servers, workstations, networking, etc). They are a huge part of that market still.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.