Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greenythebeast

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
Did anyone else buy a Verizon 5s with an upgrade transferred from another line in order to keep your unlimited data plan? I transferred an upgrade from my -6471 line to my -4111 line and upgrade the -4111 line to the 5s. However, the confirmation email says the line was -6471 and My Verizon says the -6471 line has a new device that needs to be activated. Is this normal? My screenshot of the order confirmation page clearly states -4111 as the line I was upgrading...

Uln4321

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
Mine also did the same. I transferred the upgrade but the email shows the other line.

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2012
wait can you do this on apple's site? I just ordered it for the other line and will worry about it when it gets here.

Uln4321

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
wait can you do this on apple's site? I just ordered it for the other line and will worry about it when it gets here.

You cannot do it on Apple's sight but apparently it did not work on Verizon's site either haha

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I think this is normal with Verizon's transfer loophole.

Just activate phone when new iphone arrives with the current sim card that it ships with. (that activates phone on line with the limited data)

Than take sim card out of new iphone 5s and you are good to go to put whatever sim card you want (including your unlimited sim card line).

jumpman25

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2004
Yep, I transferred an upgrade and my account shows the same thing (new device is attached to the phone I transferred the upgrade from). Pretty sure this doesn't mean anything and it will still activate on the correct device.

greenythebeast

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
I think this is normal with Verizon's transfer loophole.

Just activate phone when new iphone arrives with the current sim card that it ships with. (that activates phone on line with the limited data)

Than take sim card out of new iphone 5s and you are good to go to put whatever sim card you want (including your unlimited sim card line).

Why do I need the sim card from the old unlimited phone? The old unlimited phone was a 4S. I don't even think the sim card is in the phone...I was under the impression that you could just activate the new sim card on the unlimited line but only after activating it on the non-unlimited line first.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Why do I need the sim card from the old unlimited phone? The old unlimited phone was a 4S. I don't even think the sim card is in the phone...I was under the impression that you could just activate the new sim card on the unlimited line but only after activating it on the non-unlimited line first.

gotcha (I currently use my unlimited LTE data in a LTE device).

Than in your case, take sim card out of the "newly activated tiered data line"

Go to verizon store and have them give u new lte sim (for your unlimited data line and deactivate your 4s which is CDMA based and doesn't need SIM for use on Verizon). Yes I am aware 4s has sim but it's really a CDMA device while in the USA.

All 4G LTE devices require 4G LTE verizon sims.

DSchwartz88

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2006
Having this problem as well. Keep trying to get through to VZW customer service but am being hung up on by their automated menu right after I put in my account password.

turtlebud

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
same boat, I think it's okay

just spoke with verizon about the same thing and confirmed that the upgrade would be applied to the correct line (not the line listed on the confirmation email). the number of the confirmation email is the one that was eligible for upgrade - the reason why it shows up there is because it's that's line contract that is being extended for 2 years, but the upgrade would be applied to the "other" line.

sounds like when you get the phone it'll show for the correct line - guess we'll find out in a week.

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
Can anyone confirm this scenario (I spoke to Verizon reps in store and they thought I was moron for thinking this could work):

My Account has the follow:

Unlimited line - transfer
Dummy Line - no transfer

I want to transfer the unlimited upgrade to the dummy line and keep unlimited, is this possible?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.