Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
will the iphone 5S use the same cases as iphone 5?

im bout to buy a 50 dollar iphone case, but id ont want to buy it and find out it doesnt fit

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I guess it's worth noting that soemthing like an otter box, where the home button is covered, might be problematic... if none of the front of the phone is covered you should be fine. Also be mindful of the camera cutout. Many cases for the 5 have a large oval, which isn't a problem. If the cutout for the flash is small on whatever ase you are getting it also might pose issues.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Just one caveat....Some case makers do not allow for the larger aperture required for the extra LED flash...5S wise. I double checked with my favourite maker ( Stilgut) and compared the holes...Their cases will fit fine, and I think most will, just be careful to allow space for the extra flash LED's.

OVERTASK

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2013
∞o
Wouldn't the larger flash be blocked with current cases?

Normally they make the camera and flash cutouts quite large so they don't reflect the flash when taking a photo due to proximity so it should work with the 5s also despite the duel flash.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Wouldn't the larger flash be blocked with current cases?

That's my point...I'd double check...the cases with smaller cutouts will probably do just that. Stilgut's have a large enough hole to allow for the new layout, and I would imagine that the top designs do too, but still worth checking before you buy one.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Ordered a Mophie Helium case designed for the Ip5 for my 5s. Not sure if it will fit. Will post later today if I get a 5s.

Macinva

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
Case-wise, yes. The one difference is the protective films for the back. Since the flash is different, those will need updating. I'm anal enough to put a protective film on the back before I put it in a case. :eek:

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Just one caveat....Some case makers do not allow for the larger aperture required for the extra LED flash...5S wise. I double checked with my favourite maker ( Stilgut) and compared the holes...Their cases will fit fine, and I think most will, just be careful to allow space for the extra flash LED's.

This is what I was looking at when browsing Monoprice's cases. I saw a lot that I liked better than the one with which I ended up, but most of them tapered off to the LED side. So I picked the one I liked best that looked like it would work with the new flash.

Even if I'm wrong, I'm out $4. I went ahead and got my Lightning cables since I know I'll need a few.

R.Stoychev

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2012
It really depends from the case, but you would bе able to use most of the cases. If the case have larger camera cutout there will be no problem using the flash :)

pilot1226

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
USA
Am going to go to Best Buy later today for a Mophie Air. Will double check on return policy and buy it if they say it's ok. They tried to sell me one today when I got my 5S but I didn't have my amazon printout for pricematch.

pilot1226

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
USA
Basically identical? It's either identical or it's not.

It's the same form factor, but there is a larger camera lens and larger flash in the rear. While I think there's enough of an opening for the camera to work properly I'm (and probably most others) are concerned about flashback from the case itself.

I may just ride my phone naked for a few days/week. Can't decide. A lot will depend on the BB return policy for the opened product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.