Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
I'm pretty sure that if you have physical access to a touchscreen device, there are ways to get the owner's fingerprint data—even if the device lacks a fingerprint scanner.

False. Screen has no way to pick up anything more than a slight heat signature

Screwtape

macrumors regular
May 10, 2009
The government would love this data. Imagine every citizen having their fingerprint added to the database?

You mean like when you get your driver's license at the DMV?
Most likely the government already has your fingerprint on file and, if not, there are much easier and full proof ways to get it than hacking into people's iPhones.

monkeybongo

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
Canada
This seems like a publicity move for Apple and an easy political move. Senator gets bonus points for looking out of concern citizens against huge corporations, Apple explains what they already released and gets a few positive articles in the press.

abraxian

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2013
(1) Is it possible to convert locally-stored fingerprint data into a digital or visual format that can be used by third parties?

Nope.

(2) Is it possible to extract and obtain fingerprint data from an iPhone? If so, can this be done remotely, or with physical access to the device?

Nope.

(3) In 2011, security researchers discovered that iPhones were saving an unencrypted file containing detailed historical location information on the computers used to back up the device. Will fingerprint data be backed up to a user's computer?

Nope.

(4) Does the iPhone 5S transmit any diagnostic information about the Touch ID system to Apple or any other party? If so, what information is transmitted?

Nope.

(5) How exactly do iTunes, iBooks and the App Store interact with Touch ID? What information is collected by those apps from the Touch ID system, and what information is collected by Apple associated with those interactions, including identifiers or hashes related to the fingerprint data?

Exactly the same as an existing password. Standard encryption.

Rest of it is "Apple Policy" which I can't comment on.

This guy, like most hilarious US politicians, is a hack. Just trying it on. Rubbish.

carfac

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
What an asshat, grand standing on a non-issue like this....

and yet lets the NSA do whatever it wants to our privacy....

Personally, I care much less about Google or Apple passing around digital copies of my fingerprint than I do about someone (NSA!) copying every bit of my digital life and storing it forever....

get your priorities in line, this IS the Al Franken decade!

MellowFuzz

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2013
Dear Mr Cook,

I am a technologically and scientifically illiterate professional comedian turned politician, so please allow me to forward onto you some stupid questions that my staffers wrote for me - you know, the people who I ask what my password is and to turn on my Google for me.

Also, please allow the NSA access to everyone's Apple devices at your earliest convenience.

Best regards,

Senator Franken.

Last edited:

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
This seems like a publicity move for Apple and an easy political move. Senator gets bonus points for looking out of concern citizens against huge corporations, Apple explains what they already released and gets a few positive articles in the press.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too

haydn!

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
UK
Pretty legitimate concerns, though I'm not sure how they propose, or expect Apple to control how it's competitors, and those that blatantly just copy, implement the technology and store the data... perhaps it's just seeing if it's something they need to regulate before it does end up on every device.

kcmac

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2002
From what Apple says, even if the Government asked for it, it would be impossible for Apple to get that information. It is stored in a part of the chip that has no communication to Apple servers, or any other servers for the matter.

This is what I understood at least.

++

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
The government would love this data. Imagine every citizen having their fingerprint added to the database?

Granted not everyone owns an Apple device, but when other devices start implementing this, it'll be in the homes all across America and beyond.

I'd like Touch ID to open my car door and house.

I wouldn't. I have misgivings about TouchID, but not because the NSA might get copies of your fingerprints.

As far as the NSA goes: they're going to have a heck of a time making sense of the data from the 5S, assuming they can easily gain access. They'll have no idea which finger(s) you took a print of, or know whether all the prints in your device belong to you, or other family members, or a spouse/signifcant other, or even your pet. So, good luck to the NSA on figuring all that out. As I've said before, there are more dependable methods of getting people's fingerprints that don't require getting into the internals of an iPhone.

The problem I DO have is that enabling fingerprint unlock means lack of any chance of fifth amendement protections. Let's say a law enforcement agency decides they want access to your device and its data. Maybe they think you did something wrong. Or maybe it's not because of something you did wrong, but maybe because they might've done something wrong and you recorded it, and they want to delete it. If your phone happens to be locked by passcode, it might be possible to stall or prevent them accessing the data by pleading the fifth, and refusing to divulge the passcode.

But if you have TouchID, you can't plead the fifth. They can just arrest you and use your fingers to unlock the device and get whatever they want.

Last edited:

repoman27

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2011
False. Screen has no way to pick up anything more than a slight heat signature

My screen picks up fingerprints CONSTANTLY.

Dusting for fingerprints is a technique that has been around for some time now. We leave our fingerprint data on thousands of surfaces every day, many of which are publicly accessible. You probably leave a fair amount of other biological data in bodily secretions on everything you're in contact with, so it's not just fingerprint data you leave behind.

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
People don't leave fingerprints on things they touch now?

Well, if Cook came over and dusted my phone for prints, I suppose that's a possibility. But the screen obtaining my print? In case you wanted some information to better help you understand:

Capacitive touch screens use a layer of capacitive material to hold an electrical charge; touching the screen changes the amount of charge at a specific point of contact. In resistive screens, the pressure from your finger causes conductive and resistive layers of circuitry to touch each other, changing the circuits' resistance.

Otis Bagotis

macrumors member
May 9, 2013
And what is someone going to do with your fingerprint if they do somehow hack into your device and get past the encryption? An electronic image of a fingerprint is pretty useless. You can't take it to the bank and scan it to gain access to their bank account, you can't plant it at a crime scene to frame someone, there's no reason to guard your digital fingerprint. I'm more worried about someone chopping off my fingers than I am about my TouchID being hacked, which is to say, not at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.