Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

appletv.jpg
Following the release of iOS 7 and the debut of its new iPhones, Apple has today pushed a new software update to its Apple TV set-top box following months of testing.

As expected, the update offers a number of new features for Apple TV users, including support for Apple's newly released iTunes Radio music service, iCloud Photos and Videos, iTunes Music Store purchases on the device, Podcasts, and AirPlay from iCloud.

With AirPlay from iCloud, iTunes users can play content purchased from the iTunes store on any Apple TV, streaming it via iCloud.
- iTunes Radio: Create your own radio stations and listen to them ad-free with iTunes Match.

- iTunes Music Store: Browse, purchase, and play music directly from the iTunes Music Store.

- iCloud Photos: Adds support for playing video from a shared photo stream and viewing photo streams from multiple contributors.

- AirPlay from iCloud: Apple TV will play content from iTunes in the Cloud instead of your AirPlay device when possible. Requires iOS 7 on AirPlay device.

- Podcasts: Sync your podcasts and podcast stations across Apple TV and all your iOS devices.

- Subtitles & Captioning: Automatic subtitle selection based on Apple TV language setting. Customize closed caption style.

- Conference Room Display: Lock Apple TV into Conference Room Display (for business and education environments) and show onscreen instructions for using AirPlay.

- Software Update: Keep your Apple TV always up to date by automatically installing software updates when available.

- Setup: Use an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 7 to automatically transfer network settings, your Apple ID, and language preferences. Not available on iPhone 4 and iPad 2.
apple_tv_software_6.jpg
Apple has been working hard to bolster its Apple TV content offerings in recent months and has added additional apps for Vevo, The Weather Channel, the Disney Channel, the Smithsonian Channel, and more. The company is also rumored to be working on an updated version of its Apple TV hardware, which could debut later this year.

Article Link: Apple TV 6.0 Software Update Released with iTunes Radio and AirPlay from iCloud Functionality

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
iTunes Radio on Apple TV could be quite handy, as it is already connected to my main receiver and a good set of speakers.

joshdammit

Suspended
Mar 6, 2013
What is this "Airplay from iCloud" feature?

EDIT: Looked it up, found the answer. Apparently it just allows you to play your iTunes purchases from your device to another person's AppleTV.

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
curious to see if they unveil a new apple tv model in october according to rumors..

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
Still no HBO Go on Apple TV for Charter Communications customers I wonder when will they fix this glitch.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
What is this "Airplay from iCloud" feature?

EDIT: Looked it up, found the answer. Apparently it just allows you to play your iTunes purchases from your device to another person's AppleTV.

It let's anyone (I think anyone but I haven't tested yet) on your wifi network play iTunes purchases from the cloud on your Apple TV. And instead of streaming from your iOS device, it streams from the internet directly to the Apple TV.

nemex

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
Mexico
What about Apple Remote App

Does anyone know when Apple will update the Remote App?
After iOS7 in an iPad is locked to portrait, can not do landscape

Will this Apple TV update will break the Remote App functionality as well? When iOS 6 came out it was broken for several days...

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
Hopefully they improved the caching performance... I hate renting a movie from iTunes and then being informed that it will be 3h:30m before I can start watching it... even with it set to 720p on a 25M connection. Fortunately I have no such issues with Netflix, Amazon, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.