Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Hopefully they improved the caching performance... I hate renting a movie from iTunes and then being informed that it will be 3h:30m before I can start watching it... even with it set to 720p on a 25M connection. Fortunately I have no such issues with Netflix, Amazon, etc.

never had it happen

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
Love me some apple tv update :)

I like the icloud queuing for one particular scenario: When Im at my parents, I can airplay a movie from my itunes purchases without it having to go through my phone and without having to add my account to their atv.

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
I'm surprised they didn't follow the os7 UI shift, given that (numerically at least) this looks like a major update.

Native radio will be a welcome addition to our living room!

Keithnteri

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2011
Hopefully they improved the caching performance... I hate renting a movie from iTunes and then being informed that it will be 3h:30m before I can start watching it... even with it set to 720p on a 25M connection. Fortunately I have no such issues with Netflix, Amazon, etc.

Never had that issue. When I do have an issue with streaming it usually takes a simple reboot of the cable modem. Not usually an Apple TV issue but rather a network issue. Just my experience YMMV.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I'm surprised they didn't follow the os7 UI shift, given that (numerically at least) this looks like a major update.

I'm sure a new UI will come in time. All that glossiness looks really out of place. It's probably just a matter of resources, Apple's UI designers have had a ton to do lately, and we are still waiting on iBooks, iWork, Find My iPhone, etc.

MarcelV

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2004

When I had a 12Mbps uverse connection it was always within 30 seconds or so. Now I have a 30Mbps cable connection and it takes less than 15 seconds. Where are you located? You're sure you don't have any channel interference? Because that just doesn't make much sense. And Amazon isn't on AppleTV.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009

It's hard to really use a light color scheme for a TV UI. Users tend to not like the bright colors (especially at night). The UI does need a serious refresh though (the text based lists in Netflix are just ugly as can be). Navigation is pretty horrible and Apple desperately needs to add universal search.

MisterPunchy

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2013
CA
It let's anyone (I think anyone but I haven't tested yet) on your wifi network play iTunes purchases from the cloud on your Apple TV. And instead of streaming from your iOS device, it streams from the internet directly to the Apple TV.

Thanks! So, I'm understanding you this way: a guest on your network uses their iPhone/ipad/iPod touch to access something they've purchased from icloud, and then tells their device to play it on your AppleTV, at which point the AppleTV pulls it down from the internet directly, instead of it streaming it from the device through the access point. Sounds good! But what's the advantage exactly, over the way it works now?

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011
There's no new apps. They don't generally do a software update to add apps.

I thought/hoped for sure we'd at least see an Apple TV Amazon Prime app since they (Amazon) recently added true AirPlay ability to the iOS app. Usually the timing of the addition of those kinds of features are no coincidence... Oh well.

Last edited:

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
But what's the advantage exactly, over the way it works now?

It will not kill your battery for one thing since it doesn't stream from your phone. And the advantage is you don't need to be logged into the Apple TV with your account to play a movie/tv show you have purchased. So it should work well with big families or people coming over to your house who want to play content. Of course, I haven't tested this so we will have to see how it really works.

MrMichaelJames

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2010
How would you play stuff not bought on iTunes from the Cloud?

I have this thing called a local network. It is my own PRIVATE cloud that contains a NAS full of video files that cannot be played within Apple TV because it isn't cataloged inside iTunes. My private cloud will forever be better than any other cloud service. More bandwidth, faster access, and practically unlimited space.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
I thought/hoped for sure we'd at least see an Apple TV Amazon Prime app since they (Amazon) recently added true AirPlay ability to the iOS app. Oh well.

I read a lot of people who said the same but I don't understand why adding AirPlay implies they would add an app to Apple TV. The two really have nothing to do with each other since AirPlay wouldn't use the app. I'm guessing Apple isn't going to let Amazon add such an app and that is why they added AirPlay.

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Wish they'd just let us play any file on it...

It's slightly less annoying now I found a program that can "hack" files from mkv/avi to mp4... but come on, it's just a useless stumbling block

Keithnteri

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2011
Wish List

Just wish that there was a quick alpha list like on iOS to quickly jump to a particular letter of the alphabet when searching. I have a very large music collection and it is a pain when there are thousands of artists to scroll through to find the right one especially when it is further down in the alphabet.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Still waiting for iTunes Extras support.....just waiting...waiting...waiting...

:(

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
Still no HBO Go on Apple TV for Charter Communications customers I wonder when will they fix this glitch.

I hate to break it to you buddy, but it is not a glitch. It was a conscious decision by Charter.

For example, I have Comcast. They support HBO Go on xbox 360 and Apple tv. However, HBO Go does not work on Roku. And that's just what it is, by decision.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.