Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Infinity Blade III, the third game in the Infinity Blade series, is the first iOS game that has been fully optimized to take advantage of the 64-bit processor and OpenGL ES 3.0 standard in the iPhone 5s.

According to Chair co-founder Donald Mustard, who introduced the game during Apple's September 10 iPhone event, Infinity Blade IIIis able to run five times faster on the iPhone 5s than the iPhone 5, thanks to the considerable improvements to the hardware in the 5s.

Earlier today, the game was updated to take full advantage of the 64-bit processor in the iPhone 5s, featuring full screen anti-aliasing, bloom, full screen vignettes, distortion, high resolution shadows, and environmental reflections.

Our sister site TouchArcade has gone hands-on with a newly released iPhone 5s running the newest version of Infinity Blade III to test out the game's performance enhancements, providing a high-definition video showcasing Infinity Blade III's gameplay and graphics (a video of the unoptimized version of Infinity Blade III is also available for comparison).

TouchArcade notes that while the game runs better, it is difficult to ascertain graphical differences between the two versions unless looking closely. The site has also provided several screenshots that compare Infinity Blade III's graphics on both the iPhone 5 and the iPhone 5s which reveal minor improvements.

Infinity Blade III can be downloaded from the App Store for $6.99. [Direct Link]

Apple's iPhone 5s went on sale this morning and is currently seeing 7-10 day wait times for new orders.

Article Link: See 'Infinity Blade III' Running on the New iPhone 5s

CHMK

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2012
great game ... my iphone 5 also runs it well to my pleasant surprise.

my iphone 4 was so laggy with infinity blade 2 when it came out back then.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
But is the gameplay actually better?
I got sick and tired of hack-slash-parry-hack-slash on the original.
Great technology demonstrator but not terribly exciting to play.

Maybe some finishing moves and "FATALITY" moves? Please?

Trik

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2011
Washington, DC

I agree, it's like my ex girlfriend. Great to look at and completely boring after a few minutes.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix

I feel the same way about it. Shiny graphics horrible game play. Sells like hotcakes tho. I understand why they gave up on making a real in depth game tho. Why invest all that time when you can reskin the same old game and make tons.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Fun game, but I would like less 'on-the-rails' gameplay -- not asking for a fully open world as I don't really want a 6GB game, but a few different paths and maps would be nice.

Though is it just me, or do the two videos look hardly any different on 5 vs 5s?

Uncle Ruckus

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2012
Is it just Uncle Ruckus but this **** looks like is all other IB.

On another note god bless the white woman

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles

I'm right there with you... stopped playing because it was repetitive.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
This game always seemed like fruit ninja for big people. I could never get into it.

OriginalClone

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
I feel the same way about it. Shiny graphics horrible game play. Sells like hotcakes tho. I understand why they gave up on making a real in depth game tho. Why invest all that time when you can reskin the same old game and make tons.

Sounds like the iDevice formula..lol

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
I would not replace my iPhone 5 for a 5s just for this game, however i hope i can experience difference when i get the iPad 5 letter this year.

Last edited:

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Iphone 5s first phone/consumer device to have Cortex a57 cores in it, this is why the A7 SoC is faster then the s800

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Looks awesome...too bad there's no point in playing a game like that on such a small screen :/

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
Fun game, but I would like less 'on-the-rails' gameplay -- not asking for a fully open world as I don't really want a 6GB game, but a few different paths and maps would be nice.

Though is it just me, or do the two videos look hardly any different on 5 vs 5s?

That is how it plays you realise? After each "boss" you select a path (sometimes secret.) Also as you play new paths/secrets become available.

While "on rails" it's actually quite a smart game once you get into it. The "infinity" kind of "on rails" path makes up a far more complex path/set of goals.

I'm a fan...

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I can't see any difference between the 5 and 5S in the TA post. I zoomed in on both pictures - still couldn't see a difference. At some point you have to ask why bother.

On another note - a lot of people are bashing mobile games in this thread. I'm curious - have you guys tried Cut the Rope? I've played a lot of games on iOS, and I have to say Cut the Rope is by and far the best. Tons of content - tons of variety in puzzles, and the solutions are always clever, never cheap.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
I'm not impressed. Especially for a game that you can't even explore off the rails. Any "on rails" game is not that hard to make pretty. If this was an open world RPG, then I would be impressed. In the meantime, yawn.

I made the mistake of buying the first IB and just thinking about it is making me sleepy. Some of the worst gameplay on an iPhone game ever. How the hell did that garbage get such great reviews on IGN?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.