Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smilezz-

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
My applications will run at 100% cpu but it says my cpu is at 25% user and 70% idle can anyone give me a solution where it uses more of my idle cpu?

Here's a screenshot of my Activity Monitor: http://gyazo.com/8b8e1f28e321bed4a1c016e81b07be50

Also I've got a 2010 Macbook Pro, 4gb RAM, 2.4 GHz, Intel Core i5.

Last edited:

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
The "% CPU" column in the table refers to percent of a single CPU core.

The listing at the bottom refers to TOTAL CPU usage, among all CPU cores. The graphs to the right of that show each core individually.

In your case, you have a quad-core (four cores) CPU. Thus, one CPU at 100% equals 25% of your total.

On my older, dual-core iMac, Minecraft often takes up over 100% CPU, which means it uses one CPU core completely, plus a decent amount of the second core. (In a test just now, I got it to hit 154% for a moment.)

smilezz-

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
The "% CPU" column in the table refers to percent of a single CPU core.

The listing at the bottom refers to TOTAL CPU usage, among all CPU cores. The graphs to the right of that show each core individually.

In your case, you have a quad-core (four cores) CPU. Thus, one CPU at 100% equals 25% of your total.

On my older, dual-core iMac, Minecraft often takes up over 100% CPU, which means it uses one CPU core completely, plus a decent amount of the second core. (In a test just now, I got it to hit 154% for a moment.)

Cheers man I thought I was overworking the cpu's, guess I'm underusing them.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
can anyone give me a solution where it uses more of my idle cpu?.
FYI, you can't make an application "use more CPU" than it needs. An application is sequence of instructions for the CPU. The CPU will execute them as fast as it can.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.