Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appstate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2013
Charlotte NC
I ordered a silver 64GB this morning via Apple Store.

I decided to stop by the local AT&T here in Charlotte and they had 64GB slate grey.

I asked them if I could cancel my online order and purchase the grey 64GB at their store... they said yes. :D

So the ATT rep went online and refunded my upgrade and I got the new 64 GB grey phone instead of waiting for 7-10 days for the silver.

Now here's what's weird. The ATT rep didn't cancel my online order via Apple Store.

Do I still have a silver 64GB phone coming my way? For only $399???

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
You very well could because any AT&T employee that tells you they can cancel an Apple online order is lying.

jhearty99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Long Island, NY
I did the exact same thing. Ordered online and stopped into a relatively empty AT&T corporate store. I asked if they could cancel or if i could cancel my apple order and they said they would not be able too. I wound up using someone elses upgrade on family plan and swapped to my number and then cancelled apple order. So, it looks like you may be getting 2 iphones for the upgrade price. Nice.

DaGrandMastah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
I did the same with Verizon (but at full price). I called to cancel the order with Verizon when I got the phone at the store. I know I can sell it for a nice profit but not really into doing that scalping stuff on ebay. I always shake my head at all the people who gobble up some small toy for xmas that they sell for triple the price and take advantage of poeple who just want one for their kid.

illiniry

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2009
Chicago
That would be a nice deal 2 phones for $399 each.

Gotta find out how to cancel the online order.

I ordered it online at 12:01 PST last night, I wonder if there are any around here I could actually buy in the store. In any event if you go to your order confirmation page, it should allow you to cancel it, it gives me the option.

spartanrob

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
I'm kind of wondering the same thing. If i cancel my online Apple.com order, how quickly will my eligiblity be reinstated. My local RS has a phone on hold for me.

appstate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2013
Charlotte NC
My coworker is telling me to sell the silver 64gb online.

I told him it's not unlocked and that I'd have bad karma trying to do something like that.

blhoward2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012

I told him it's not unlocked and that I'd have bad karma trying to do something like that.

Unlocked or not won't matter. Also, there are places online selling 5s unlocks for ~$5 (for AT&T phones) that many people appear to have used in the past. I bought $2 unlock for a 4S that is supposedly done but I haven't tried it yet. Apparently they pay AT&T employes under the table to unlock them.

Spacial

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
Everyone wants to go to the Apple store as though it's Disneyland. It's insane.

Each year I go into my carrier and within minutes I'm out with the iPhone I want.

Perhaps they fear that it's too easy & stress free :D

blhoward2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
Everyone wants to go to the Apple store as though it's Disneyland. It's insane.

Each year I go into my carrier and within minutes I'm out with the iPhone I want.

Perhaps they fear that it's too easy & stress free :D

I think they are more afraid that carrier stores get extremely limited stock so what they want won't be there. For the iPhone 5 some Apple stores got 1,500+ phones while an AT&T store in the same mall for ~50.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

Good call. If you were unjustly enriched they will likely be able to figure it out and hit you for the full price of the phone. Best to cancel or return if it is sent.

appstate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2013
Charlotte NC
Unlocked or not won't matter. Also, there are places online selling 5s unlocks for ~$5 (for AT&T phones) that many people appear to have used in the past. I bought $2 unlock for a 4S that is supposedly done but I haven't tried it yet. Apparently they pay AT&T employes under the table to unlock them.

So- hypothetically- I could sell the silver 64GB for twice the retail price via ebay/craigslist (when I get it 7-10 days)?

That's crazy...

blhoward2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
So- hypothetically- I could sell the silver 64GB for twice the retail price via ebay/craigslist (when I get it 7-10 days)?

That's crazy...

I'm not saying AT&T won't figure it out and hit you for the full retail price. But then again, you can probably get more than full retail on ebay right now.

fotofan

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
New Jersey USA
Almost did the same thing

My plan was to get to the AT&T store at 10:30 AM, the earliest I could manage on my schedule. But I just had to look at the Apple website. I ended up ordering the 64 GB 5s space grey iphone at 3:15 AM EST when nature fortuitously called (or maybe my interior iclock woke me, LOL). Oct. 8th delivery estimate with standard shipping.
So I swung by the AT&T store at 11:20 AM just to see what was happening on my way to lunch. No line, about 5 people in the store. Guy at the counter is getting a 5s. I said, "You still have some left"? Last one, they unanimously reply. They went in the back to see about one that "might be there" what ever that was about. No luck. So I will wait till Oct. 8th. Sigh.
Not sure how many GB's the ones they might have had left around 10:30 AM were anyway. I like the 64's just because I always run out of space. I'm a disorganized pack rat when it comes to media storage.

DribbleCastle

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2009
Seattle, WA
Thanks for the story. Was wondeirng what options I would have if I ran across one in a store. Prob would only trust the AT&T store though as they truely have the ability to verify your upgrade is available.

I ordered a silver 64GB this morning via Apple Store.

I decided to stop by the local AT&T here in Charlotte and they had 64GB slate grey.

I asked them if I could cancel my online order and purchase the grey 64GB at their store... they said yes. :D

So the ATT rep went online and refunded my upgrade and I got the new 64 GB grey phone instead of waiting for 7-10 days for the silver.

Now here's what's weird. The ATT rep didn't cancel my online order via Apple Store.

Do I still have a silver 64GB phone coming my way? For only $399???

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
I'm kind of wondering the same thing. If i cancel my online Apple.com order, how quickly will my eligiblity be reinstated. My local RS has a phone on hold for me.
The guy at the AT&T store says it takes about 5-10 minutes for your eligibility to re-appear.

iChillax

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2010
i ordered a silver 64gb this morning via apple store.

I decided to stop by the local at&t here in charlotte and they had 64gb slate grey.

I asked them if i could cancel my online order and purchase the grey 64gb at their store... They said yes. :d

so the att rep went online and refunded my upgrade and i got the new 64 gb grey phone instead of waiting for 7-10 days for the silver.

Now here's what's weird. The att rep didn't cancel my online order via apple store.

Do i still have a silver 64gb phone coming my way? For only $399???

did the exact same thing!

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I ordered from att last night using early upgrade. I walked into an att store today and got one using the early upgrade. I'm going to call att tomorrow and cancel the other order but I wonder what happens if I don't. Will I get 2 phones as early upgrade?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.