Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmo1116

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2010
Alabama
So my wife and I each have an iPhone 5 that we're currently using on TMobile (mine is an unlocked AT&T iPhone and hers is a Verizon iPhone...factory unlocked as I understand it from reading online, etc.). We wanted to switch to Verizon and set up a new account (using my wife's Verizon iPhone 5). We went to the Verizon store last night and the employees were completely useless. I explained our situation and the guy kept insisting that "there is no possible way you can use that Verizon iPhone with us". I said...that makes absolutely no sense. It's a Verizon phone. I just bought it from Verizon last year and simply swapped out the SIM cards when we were on Tmobile. He replied "no once you've used the phone on a different carrier it won't work on Verizon." This man clearly had no clue what he was talking about. So we left the store and walked down the street to the Apple store. Talked to an employee, he gave us a Verizon SIM card, told us to call the Verizon number and get it set up. We did so and after getting everything set up, my wife's Verizon iPhone 5 works perfectly fine on Verizon as of this morning. Shows how much the Verizon employees know. Seems like they should be a bit more willing to help but I guess not. Just wanted to share this experience. Sorry for the lengthy post!

zachy85

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I just called a VZ store and spoke with a rude, and unhelpful person. They are really the pits when it comes to customers. But, they have the best coverage in my area and speed for sure.

skimcpip

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2013
That's very irritating. Just goes to show you how little carrier employees know about their own devices, and how poorly trained they are. Glad to see you had a good experience with Apple though.

I did a similar thing when I switched to TMobile on my Verizon iPhone 5. I went to the Apple store and asked for a TMobile Nano SIM, which they gave me for free. Then I bought a prepaid starter kit from TMobile and used the activation code in the kit to activate the Nano SIM.

I never had to deal with the carrier customer service a single time.

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
I went into the store to transfer my upgrade to a dummy line to keep my unlimited. The store reps insisted I would lose my unlimited.

Called and used the online customer support and they said the store was wrong.... So basically just have to wait for my phone to come online now cause the stores don't know what their doing.

nooaah

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Retail staff are unpredictable. The VZW staff on Market St and University City in Philly are awesome. I don't swear by VZW because of them, though. I just feel lucky that I live right by decent stores. I also loved the AT&T employees I've dealt with in person (their phone CSRs were hit and miss). Sorry that you had a bad experience, but it's not a company-wide issue.

bhags8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
Yeah I went into my store at like 4pm. I waited an hour before I had someone help me. I told him I wanted to buy full price and he went to the back room in the middle of me speaking and came back 15 mins later. He basically told me to go to best buy or order online if you pay full price because those places don't get commission. He was so rude and wanted me to buy accessories so he could get his piece.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.