Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which colour do you you prefer?

• Black (5)

Votes: 36 46.8%
  • Space Grey (5S)

Votes: 41 53.2%

• Total voters
S

syd430

After a day and a half of use with the 5S, I went back to my old 5 to copy a few things over and couldn't help but feel that the 5 looked more... monolithic? menacing? Really hard to find the right word...The grey of the 5S some how makes it look heavier, less at ease, busy. The two-tone look worked for the 4/ 4S, but somehow doesn't work as well with the 5S IMO.

Yes , it's possible that part of the reason that they made the move was to make scuffs around the chamfered edge less obvious, but it seems that the overall aesthetic has suffered as a result.

Black iPhone 5:

qMNm3t6.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
The grey doesnt show smudges on the back like the slate. Looks more professional to me anyway.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
Like the space grey much better than the slate. I didn't expect to but seeing it in person makes all the difference.

S

syd430

Like the space grey much better than the slate. I didn't expect to but seeing it in person makes all the difference.

Are you sure it's not just because it's fresh and new? I had the same feeling at first, but by the second day of use it was starting to wear off, and going back to the black made me miss it.

IndoX

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
After seeing the space gray in person I MUCH prefer the space gray. The contrast of the gray edges make it the most beautiful phone out of the three. I came into the store to looks at the phones before making my decision. I originally intended to get the gold iPhone but after seeing the space gray I'm gonna go with it.

In my opinion it's the best out of all the colors.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
Are you sure it's not just because it's fresh and new? I had the same feeling at first, but by the second day of use it was starting to wear off, and going back to the black made me miss it.

No, I've had the black for a year and I was used to it and liked it. And frankly the pictures of the space grey did not look good to me at all. But seeing it in person changed my mind. It looks much classy and upscale compared to the slate. The polished edge just look much better similar to the silver and white version.

diamornte

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2009
Haven't yet seen it in person, but space gray reminds me of Macbook Pro's colors. It is more pro-looking...

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
The gray of the space gray is too contrasting. The sides don't look bad, but the back is somewhat hideous IMO. Haven't seen it in real life though, so maybe I'm wrong.

The darker gray of the slate fits better with the black glass parts of the phone. And it does look badass. If I get the 5S, I think I will go with gold or white.

S

syd430

I think the issue is more with when you're actually using the phone. I find the chamfered edge that runs around the phone on my 5S more distracting when looking at from head-on, wheres as on my 5 everything else but the screen fades away. It's the same reason I never go for white.

----------

The grey doesnt show smudges on the back like the slate.

Not sure how you came to that conclusion. My 5S looks just as smudged on the back as my 5 (if not more). I've been using the 5S for more than a day. Either way smudging has never really been a problem for me on the 5 anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

RTWG

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2008
I love my space grey phone – it also reminds me of other Apple products like the iMac, MacBook Pro, and even the original iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.