Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

31 Flavas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2011
When I tried to, use my tried and true method to Airplay my rental from phone to ATV, however, I received a surprise message on the iPhone informing me "an unapproved monitor was attached" and then the film stopped. Trying other methods would start the film but after 5 seconds, no message appeared, but the screen went black and only the sound continued.
You were using this method -- buy from iTunes, stream (not download), then mirror to ATV -- since there was no option (previously) to just AirPlay directly, right?

See if you can just (without mirroring) AirPlay the video directly from the Videos app on your phone to the AppleTV now. AirPlay from iCloud (that is AirPlay from an iPhone which is streaming from iCloud) is now possible on ATV 6.0.

To me it sounds like you might be running into an HDCP problem (HDMI Digital Copy Protection, I think).

Secondarily, you could see if playing directly from (not using your iPhone, at all) the Apple TV itself gives the same error message. That is sign into your iTunes account on the AppleTV itself and then access the purchase from the Apple TV itself.

HDCP is something that Apple has to respect to make Movie / TV show publishers happy about putting their content on iTunes. Even though you aren't trying to pirate or steal -- the new Apple TV software might be looking at the HDMI to VGA converter as a suspect or unauthorized device.

So we might be able to work around it by playing or presenting the content to the Apple TV in a different way.

Last edited:

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
Mine froze while updating but then seemed to fix itself. 3rd gen.

I kicked off the update around 11pm yesterday and left it. After maybe 20-25 minutes I checked back - expecting it to be done. It was still showing some progress bar about halfway through. That didn't look good, so I hung around and watched it for 10 more minutes. The bar didn't budge. Yuck.

So I logged on here, read everyone's reports and then resigned myself to finding a USB cable.

Half an hour later I came back with my cable and it was all done! I didn't have to do anything.

i wasn't counting time as i was busy but it did take awhile and i think it did the same thing as yours, Apple TV 3rd gen here.

i'm using ethernet, in the past the apple tv would fail to update over ethernet, i wonder if the wifi would've been faster..

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
Now we have 4 different UI - OS X, iOS 7, iOS 6 (Apple TV) and iCloud.com. I hope that after the launch from Tuesday some developer resources are now available again to do some harmonization effort.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
i wasn't counting time as i was busy but it did take awhile and i think it did the same thing as yours, Apple TV 3rd gen here.

i'm using ethernet, in the past the apple tv would fail to update over ethernet, i wonder if the wifi would've been faster..

Mine are all on wifi.

My timings are rough estimates - but the main observation was that it took MUCH longer than usual.

I have three 2nd gens to do today, so I'll keep a closer watch on those.

Soulweaponry

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2010
Worst update. Not the update itself, but the process. Every other update has been easy. Just click update, let it do it's thang and you're good to go. This one looked like it was going to update but flashed some screen that said "hook up to iTunes on your computer to update". Whaaaat? My standalone device needs to be hooked up to a computer with a cord I don't even have just to update? Awesome.

It's updated now but man. That was annoying

Supaflys

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2013
What really pisses me off about this botched ATV is that Apple has steered us all away from the micro usb standard to the dock and now lightning connector. Yet they put micro usb on the ATV instead insuring that when the worst happened during an update like this, their most faithful customers would not have the cord needed to fix this. Heck they don't even sell micro usb in their store.

kds1

Suspended
Feb 17, 2013
New York, New York
I did the update and it went normally, as it always has: download, install, presto, done!

I'm reading so many posts by people who are getting messages about connecting to iTunes and their LED blinking rapidly and the update failing and I'm wondering what the common thread is between all these users. What is it that all of these people have in common that it failed on their boxes, but worked as it should have on others? I'm thinking it can't be anything with the boxes themselves, so it must be something about the download process itself. Perhaps only partial data or interruptions to the transmission of data that caused corruption in the install package?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks! So, I'm understanding you this way: a guest on your network uses their iPhone/ipad/iPod touch to access something they've purchased from icloud, and then tells their device to play it on your AppleTV, at which point the AppleTV pulls it down from the internet directly, instead of it streaming it from the device through the access point. Sounds good! But what's the advantage exactly, over the way it works now?

The way it worked before you would have to log out of your iTunes account so they could log in on the ATV. Or they would have to download the whatever to their device.

farleysmaster

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
What really pisses me off about this botched ATV is that Apple has steered us all away from the micro usb standard to the dock and now lightning connector. Yet they put micro usb on the ATV instead insuring that when the worst happened during an update like this, their most faithful customers would not have the cord needed to fix this. Heck they don't even sell micro usb in their store.

If it had a lightning connector, I would have been in big trouble...

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Charter has stated that they don't have an agreement with HBO yet for Apple TV. You can't base anything on what a single CSR tells you who doesn't know what is going on.

By your own admission we can't say that they have even tried to get an agreement. Maybe they have and HBO is being a jerk, or maybe they don't have one because they haven't tried.

----------

But that is not what Charter is telling me and why Roku over Apple TV?

You referred to Charter as a company that lies so why are you pressing this notion that Charter said it was a glitch.

----------

My Apple TV was working fine and when I updated it crashed. Now the light is rapidly blinking and the USB to iTunes is displayed on the screen :mad:

Any ideas on how to fix? I already unplugged and plugged it back in.

Did you connect it to iTunes like the screen says? What happened.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
By your own admission we can't say that they have even tried to get an agreement. Maybe they have and HBO is being a jerk, or maybe they don't have one because they haven't tried.

So what's your point? The issue is Charter doesn't have an agreement with HBO. That is a fact. I don't care why.

Btw, every single HBO Go partner supports Apple TV but Charter. It's not hard to draw the conclusions with that though.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Mine are all on wifi.

My timings are rough estimates - but the main observation was that it took MUCH longer than usual.

I have three 2nd gens to do today, so I'll keep a closer watch on those.

Here are the timings for a 2nd gen I just did:
09:00 AM. Download start.
09:02 AM. Step 1 of 2 preparing update
09:20 AM. Rebooted itself
09:21 AM. Apple logo progress bar appeared
09:24 AM. Step 2 of 2 applying update
09:35 AM. Rebooted
09:36 AM. What's new screen appeared.

I think the 3rd gen took a bit longer.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Interesting point -- I use HBO Go on Charter all the time.

I just do it with a Verizon FIOS login.

If you are using a fios login you aren't 'on charter' at all. Just on a charter broadband connection. Same as I have Time Warner Internet but not cable so I can't validate any apps requiring cable

johnmac59

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2010
Michigan
They said the update bricked my ATV2 and that it would be taken care of at an Apple store.

Went through all the hoops again at the Apple Store before they finally just gave me a new one.

That is good to know. I was so mad that I just left my ATV2 alone last night and figured I would try the restore this morning. If it doesn't work, I am going to the Apple Store then.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
My first gen ATV took forever to update but once it was done, all worked as advertised. Nice to have the radio app on ATV now--liking the radio more and more as I listen to it.

Unconsoled

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2005
Rain City WA
Need advice.

Bricked after update. Finally found micro USB cord, hooked up to iTunes and said it was restored. Said to connect to the TV. Hit ok and the light instantly started flaunt again. Same graphic on TV screen to reconnect to iTunes. Went through this three times and no love.

Anyone able to restore but have it fail as soon as it is done restoring?

Thanks

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
I have this thing called a local network. It is my own PRIVATE cloud that contains a NAS full of video files that cannot be played within Apple TV because it isn't cataloged inside iTunes. My private cloud will forever be better than any other cloud service. More bandwidth, faster access, and practically unlimited space.

Can totally be played on an Apple TV. Look into Air Video Server and the Air Video app for iOS. :D

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Ugggghhh!

After updating, the screen told me to connect to iTunes.

After connecting to iTunes, downloading the software and restoring, I plugged it back in to the TV as instructed.

Same screen as before. Arrrrgh!

----------

Need advice.

Bricked after update. Finally found micro USB cord, hooked up to iTunes and said it was restored. Said to connect to the TV. Hit ok and the light instantly started flaunt again. Same graphic on TV screen to reconnect to iTunes. Went through this three times and no love.

Anyone able to restore but have it fail as soon as it is done restoring?

Thanks

Same thing happened to me. Taking it in to the Apple Store this afternoon. Argh!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.