Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I'm running it on my iPhone 5 and I'm seeing very little in the way of actual lag, there is some, mind you, and more than there was in iOS 6 (not much more though), the main problem is the speed of the animations. Most of them are just too slow- transitions that were quick and snappy on iOS 6 now take far too long. It's probably only milliseconds difference, but yes, the apparent speed of navigating the OS feels slower. Not a lot slower, but enough to irritate me.

Apple certainly has some work to do, hopefully everything gets tightened up in a point release soon.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing that. I do hope it gets better too.

I have (had?) high hopes for the future of iOS especially when it comes time for a larger screen iPhone, whenever that may be.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Glowing review of the 5S from Verge:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/20/4752296/apple-iphone-5s-review

The most remarkable thing Apple did with the iPhone 5S was to change everything while appearing to change almost nothing. The processor’s faster, the camera’s brighter, and the software’s a little smarter. But rather than club you to death with features to prove just how many things this phone can do, the iPhone 5S simply does everything it did before, better. Even the new things feel integrated, and obvious — Touch ID has quickly come to feel completely natural, and slow-motion video now feels notably absent from the iPhone 5. There aren’t two dozen different multitasking systems or countless camera modes; the 5S is just more capable and more intuitive than ever before. It’s easily the best iPhone ever made, and maybe the best smartphone ever made.

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Glowing review of the 5S from Verge:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/20/4752296/apple-iphone-5s-review

The most remarkable thing Apple did with the iPhone 5S was to change everything while appearing to change almost nothing. The processor’s faster, the camera’s brighter, and the software’s a little smarter. But rather than club you to death with features to prove just how many things this phone can do, the iPhone 5S simply does everything it did before, better. Even the new things feel integrated, and obvious — Touch ID has quickly come to feel completely natural, and slow-motion video now feels notably absent from the iPhone 5. There aren’t two dozen different multitasking systems or countless camera modes; the 5S is just more capable and more intuitive than ever before. It’s easily the best iPhone ever made, and maybe the best smartphone ever made.

Imagine how much better it would be with a larger screen? :)

Peterg2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
fights for iphones....this no preorder thing was stupid from the beginning. i hope apple gets some bad press for this.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-homeless-iphone-fight-20130920,0,2207612.story

Apple had production issues with the 5S. That is not some deep, dark secret. What were they supposed to do? Simply advise no in-store sales and sell online for an extremely short period?

I cannot understand why Apple should be held responsible for some lunatic criminal element.

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
New York
Apple had production issues with the 5S. That is not some deep, dark secret. What were they supposed to do? Simply advise no in-store sales and sell online for an extremely short period?

I cannot understand why Apple should be held responsible for some lunatic criminal element.

so there ceo, the mastermind behind shipping millions of devices all over the world, could not make enough devices for a preorder for those that want the phone? don't be so naive. they want lines. they want it in the news.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
so there ceo, the mastermind behind shipping millions of devices all over the world, could not make enough devices for a preorder for those that want the phone? don't be so naive. they want lines. they want it in the news.

I'm highly skeptical of tactics like this. It just doesn't make sense. They'd rather sell more units than less just to create buzz. From a business standpoint, that makes little sense.

And a CEO as smart of Tim Cook would know that.

I forgot where I read it, but there is an article out there that explains perfectly why using such tactics is actually not advantageous for business.

Peterg2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada

To get back to your original point, Apple is supposed to get bad press for some douchebag criminal element? Where the hell did personal responsibility go?

To add a point, even if there were pre-orders, there would still have been lines and some units would still have been sold out. How many other stories are there other than the Pasadena one? If you read the story, you would see this was a particular situation, with someone hiring homeless people to stand in line (which happens, unfortunately, very often).

Last edited:

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
New York
To get back to your original point, Apple is supposed to get bad press for some douchebag criminal element? Where the hell did personal responsibility go?

To add a point, even if there were pre-orders, there would still have been lines and some units would still have been sold out. How many other stories are there other than the Pasadena one? If you read the story, you would see this was a particular situation, with someone hiring homeless people to stand in line (which happens, unfortunately, very often).

my point is, to reiterate, for apple to either start production earlier, or just offer a preorder anyway and sell out of them. either way they'll still sell the thing. its just shameless.

Peterg2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
my point is, to reiterate, for apple to either start production earlier, or just offer a preorder anyway and sell out of them. either way they'll still sell the thing. its just shameless.

I am not going to debate this particular point on this thread further but this was a *very particular* matter. Let me quote from the article you posted:

Pasadena Police Lt. Jason Clawson confirmed that a fight broke out about 9 a.m. as a man left the store with multiple iPhones. Several homeless people said the man picked up dozens of people at homeless shelters downtown, drove them to Pasadena and promised to pay them $40 -- $20 for each iPhone voucher they were able to secure.

Clawson said the fight broke out when people who were in line and hired by the man began fighting with him because they said they weren’t being paid enough, Clawson said.

“It didn’t go right. I stood out here all night,” said Dominoe Moody, 43, who said he was picked up along with several vanloads of people at a homeless mission.

Many of the homeless who had been hired to stand in line -- but later stranded at the store -- lingered near the store after the arrests, some hanging out on the corner across the street and a few continuing to stand in line.

Who is fighting with whom exactly? These were unfortunate homeless people who believed they were stiffed by the person hiring them.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011

If they could've had enough ready, they would have. Obviously the fingerprint scanner in the home button or the A7 chip had poorer than expected yields. They can't delay the release any further or the stock would plummet. They can't restrict sales to online, because many people don't shop online with credit cards and would cry foul if they didn't have the option of picking one up in stores. Their brick and mortar partners would also be annoyed. So they did the best they could, and some idiots fighting in line has zero to do with Apple.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
And a more flexible OS.

The Verge's review of iOS 7, I think, is spot on: http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/18/4741724/ios-7-review

There's always 2014! But seriously, 2014 will be a far more interesting year for the iPhone.

LOL....been seeing this for the last three years now.
I dont know why this is always a compitition. My phone is better than your phone type thing. I dont know, im not a tech geek. I love tech and know enough to root and install a ROM if i want but i dont do phone after phone purchaces. I stick to what i like and Android is just superior as a phone for me and Apple, for the last couple years just isnt close anymore.

Why am i here? Love the opinions of the many users of different things. Still have my GS3 and didnt really get thrilled enough by the GS4 to buy one and wasnt interested in the HTC One.

Just how i operate. Use what you like, be happy. Ill be interested in a iPhone when Apple announces a more open system and a lot bigger screen. Has to be both though. Til then, Android is King!

Antitryptic

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2013
I will definitely be checking out Apple's next iPhone with the hopes that iOS 7 (or iOS 8, perhaps) will be more mature and that it'll be a much bigger improvement over the 5S. *ahem*biggerscreenandopenness*ahem* Hopefully they don't disappoint! :) For now, I'll be sticking to my GE S4 until I feel the need to replace it.

Last edited:

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
Interesting. Thanks for sharing that. I do hope it gets better too.

I have (had?) high hopes for the future of iOS especially when it comes time for a larger screen iPhone, whenever that may be.

Yeah, it's not a bad effort for a new start, however iOS is now littered with small annoyances that simply weren't there before. That's not to say that they can't be fixed, they can be, and easily, like the animation speed- just a few tweaks here and there and it'll feel great. I suspect some of the things that annoy me about iOS 7 are 'design decisions' and are going to be permanent though, like the new slit-style scrubber in the music app.

On the other hand, some of the new additions more than make up for some of the annoyances (although some are constantly there- again, the animations), it's definitely a solid upgrade, just one that needs some fine tuning.

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
New York
yeah. though, regardless, investors will complain about not having enough devices in stock. i dont own apple stock. actually, josh on the vergecast this week has a good point about people criticizing apple - saying he really likes apple, but just wants them to do better. im the same. apple made the laptop to not crash and delete my term paper back in 2002. the ipod was great. the first few iphones were great. i love my 2013 air. but i do believe companies need to be responsible for organizing these sale events. the same goes for walmart and black friday. and i still think they did a disservice to they customers by not at least giving the option to preorder, even a few days in advance. im not buying this phone, but if i was, id rather have it delivered a week or two later than waste my time on a line.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
yeah. though, regardless, investors will complain about not having enough devices in stock. i dont own apple stock. actually, josh on the vergecast this week has a good point about people criticizing apple - saying he really likes apple, but just wants them to do better. im the same. apple made the laptop to not crash and delete my term paper back in 2002. the ipod was great. the first few iphones were great. i love my 2013 air. but i do believe companies need to be responsible for organizing these sale events. the same goes for walmart and black friday. and i still think they did a disservice to they customers by not at least giving the option to preorder, even a few days in advance. im not buying this phone, but if i was, id rather have it delivered a week or two later than waste my time on a line.

Not so sure why you're so hung up on that one isolated event.

Yes apple is responsible for providing stock. And when they fail to they certainly are doing disservice to customers and themselves (again, no company would intentionally not sale more if they could). And just like we hold Google responsible for the lack of stock of the nexus 4, we should hold apple too.

BUT apple has nothing to do with that isolated event. Walmart and black Friday are not an apt comparison as that's companies trying to entice people to bum rush. They call it "door buster sales" for a reason. Apple is just releasing a product. The product is in demand. They're not trying to sale "door busters."

Anyway, this particular topic has been exhausted. Back to the point of this thread....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.