Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Sep 21, 2013, 07:16 AM   #276
31 Flavas
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Walter View Post
When I tried to, use my tried and true method to Airplay my rental from phone to ATV, however, I received a surprise message on the iPhone informing me "an unapproved monitor was attached" and then the film stopped. Trying other methods would start the film but after 5 seconds, no message appeared, but the screen went black and only the sound continued.
You were using this method -- buy from iTunes, stream (not download), then mirror to ATV -- since there was no option (previously) to just AirPlay directly, right?

See if you can just (without mirroring) AirPlay the video directly from the Videos app on your phone to the AppleTV now. AirPlay from iCloud (that is AirPlay from an iPhone which is streaming from iCloud) is now possible on ATV 6.0.

To me it sounds like you might be running into an HDCP problem (HDMI Digital Copy Protection, I think).

Secondarily, you could see if playing directly from (not using your iPhone, at all) the Apple TV itself gives the same error message. That is sign into your iTunes account on the AppleTV itself and then access the purchase from the Apple TV itself.

HDCP is something that Apple has to respect to make Movie / TV show publishers happy about putting their content on iTunes. Even though you aren't trying to pirate or steal -- the new Apple TV software might be looking at the HDMI to VGA converter as a suspect or unauthorized device.

So we might be able to work around it by playing or presenting the content to the Apple TV in a different way.

Last edited by 31 Flavas; Sep 21, 2013 at 07:33 AM.
31 Flavas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 07:18 AM   #277
iOrbit
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arran View Post
Mine froze while updating but then seemed to fix itself. 3rd gen.

I kicked off the update around 11pm yesterday and left it. After maybe 20-25 minutes I checked back - expecting it to be done. It was still showing some progress bar about halfway through. That didn't look good, so I hung around and watched it for 10 more minutes. The bar didn't budge. Yuck.

So I logged on here, read everyone's reports and then resigned myself to finding a USB cable.

Half an hour later I came back with my cable and it was all done! I didn't have to do anything.
i wasn't counting time as i was busy but it did take awhile and i think it did the same thing as yours, Apple TV 3rd gen here.

i'm using ethernet, in the past the apple tv would fail to update over ethernet, i wonder if the wifi would've been faster..
Old Sep 21, 2013, 07:21 AM   #278
Mike MA
macrumors 6502a

Now we have 4 different UI - OS X, iOS 7, iOS 6 (Apple TV) and iCloud.com. I hope that after the launch from Tuesday some developer resources are now available again to do some harmonization effort.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 07:27 AM   #279
Arran
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by iOrbit View Post
i wasn't counting time as i was busy but it did take awhile and i think it did the same thing as yours, Apple TV 3rd gen here.

i'm using ethernet, in the past the apple tv would fail to update over ethernet, i wonder if the wifi would've been faster..
Mine are all on wifi.

My timings are rough estimates - but the main observation was that it took MUCH longer than usual.

I have three 2nd gens to do today, so I'll keep a closer watch on those.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 07:36 AM   #280
Soulweaponry
macrumors 6502

Worst update. Not the update itself, but the process. Every other update has been easy. Just click update, let it do it's thang and you're good to go. This one looked like it was going to update but flashed some screen that said "hook up to iTunes on your computer to update". Whaaaat? My standalone device needs to be hooked up to a computer with a cord I don't even have just to update? Awesome.

It's updated now but man. That was annoying
Soulweaponry is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 07:39 AM   #281
Supaflys
macrumors newbie

What really pisses me off about this botched ATV is that Apple has steered us all away from the micro usb standard to the dock and now lightning connector. Yet they put micro usb on the ATV instead insuring that when the worst happened during an update like this, their most faithful customers would not have the cord needed to fix this. Heck they don't even sell micro usb in their store.
Supaflys is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 08:02 AM   #282
SteveSparks
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkdogedit View Post
Yup. Updated and now the ATV is useless. Shows up with a graphic asking me to connect to iTunes. Connected to iTunes and..nothing. Three Micro USB cables and two computers later...nothing.

Beware.
You need to connect power + the micro USB cable to the Apple TV 3.0
Old Sep 21, 2013, 08:29 AM   #283
DianeK
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfonsog View Post
I love my Apple TV... a concert from digital concert hall
Berlin philharmonic by any chance?
DianeK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 08:41 AM   #284
tdgrn
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to tdgrn Send a message via MSN to tdgrn Send a message via Yahoo to tdgrn Send a message via Skype™ to tdgrn
ATV 2 here. Mine bricked on the update and needed to connect to iTunes via USB to restore it.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 08:49 AM   #285
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsMkLg068426 View Post
Still no HBO Go on Apple TV for Charter Communications customers I wonder when will they fix this glitch.
Never. Because it is not a glitch for Apple to fix.

Go complain to Charter for not participating and HBO for requiring it in the first place
Old Sep 21, 2013, 08:55 AM   #286
kds1
macrumors 6502

I did the update and it went normally, as it always has: download, install, presto, done!

I'm reading so many posts by people who are getting messages about connecting to iTunes and their LED blinking rapidly and the update failing and I'm wondering what the common thread is between all these users. What is it that all of these people have in common that it failed on their boxes, but worked as it should have on others? I'm thinking it can't be anything with the boxes themselves, so it must be something about the download process itself. Perhaps only partial data or interruptions to the transmission of data that caused corruption in the install package?
kds1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 08:57 AM   #287
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterPunchy View Post
Thanks! So, I'm understanding you this way: a guest on your network uses their iPhone/ipad/iPod touch to access something they've purchased from icloud, and then tells their device to play it on your AppleTV, at which point the AppleTV pulls it down from the internet directly, instead of it streaming it from the device through the access point. Sounds good! But what's the advantage exactly, over the way it works now?
The way it worked before you would have to log out of your iTunes account so they could log in on the ATV. Or they would have to download the whatever to their device.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 08:58 AM   #288
farleysmaster
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supaflys View Post
What really pisses me off about this botched ATV is that Apple has steered us all away from the micro usb standard to the dock and now lightning connector. Yet they put micro usb on the ATV instead insuring that when the worst happened during an update like this, their most faithful customers would not have the cord needed to fix this. Heck they don't even sell micro usb in their store.
If it had a lightning connector, I would have been in big trouble...
farleysmaster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 09:06 AM   #289
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozzykid View Post
Charter has stated that they don't have an agreement with HBO yet for Apple TV. You can't base anything on what a single CSR tells you who doesn't know what is going on.
By your own admission we can't say that they have even tried to get an agreement. Maybe they have and HBO is being a jerk, or maybe they don't have one because they haven't tried.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsMkLg068426 View Post
But that is not what Charter is telling me and why Roku over Apple TV?
You referred to Charter as a company that lies so why are you pressing this notion that Charter said it was a glitch.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveofiveo View Post
My Apple TV was working fine and when I updated it crashed. Now the light is rapidly blinking and the USB to iTunes is displayed on the screen

Any ideas on how to fix? I already unplugged and plugged it back in.
Did you connect it to iTunes like the screen says? What happened.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 09:07 AM   #290
The Economist
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
I'm hoping we'll see something in October with new Apple TV's. But my guess is its just not a priority right now.
Most likely. A new UI or at least some changes alongside an updated or a new Apple TV.
The Economist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 09:15 AM   #291
bozzykid
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
By your own admission we can't say that they have even tried to get an agreement. Maybe they have and HBO is being a jerk, or maybe they don't have one because they haven't tried.
So what's your point? The issue is Charter doesn't have an agreement with HBO. That is a fact. I don't care why.

Btw, every single HBO Go partner supports Apple TV but Charter. It's not hard to draw the conclusions with that though.
bozzykid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 09:33 AM   #292
Arran
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arran View Post
Mine are all on wifi.

My timings are rough estimates - but the main observation was that it took MUCH longer than usual.

I have three 2nd gens to do today, so I'll keep a closer watch on those.
Here are the timings for a 2nd gen I just did:
09:00 AM. Download start.
09:02 AM. Step 1 of 2 preparing update
09:20 AM. Rebooted itself
09:21 AM. Apple logo progress bar appeared
09:24 AM. Step 2 of 2 applying update
09:35 AM. Rebooted
09:36 AM. What's new screen appeared.

I think the 3rd gen took a bit longer.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 09:33 AM   #293
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raketemensch View Post
Interesting point -- I use HBO Go on Charter all the time.

I just do it with a Verizon FIOS login.
If you are using a fios login you aren't 'on charter' at all. Just on a charter broadband connection. Same as I have Time Warner Internet but not cable so I can't validate any apps requiring cable
Old Sep 21, 2013, 10:00 AM   #294
johnmac59
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiphunt View Post
They said the update bricked my ATV2 and that it would be taken care of at an Apple store.

Went through all the hoops again at the Apple Store before they finally just gave me a new one.
That is good to know. I was so mad that I just left my ATV2 alone last night and figured I would try the restore this morning. If it doesn't work, I am going to the Apple Store then.
johnmac59 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 10:21 AM   #295
TsMkLg068426
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
Never. Because it is not a glitch for Apple to fix.

Go complain to Charter for not participating and HBO for requiring it in the first place

Once again Charter tells me it is Authentication issue and it is on Apples end
Old Sep 21, 2013, 10:24 AM   #296
bobr1952
macrumors 68000

My first gen ATV took forever to update but once it was done, all worked as advertised. Nice to have the radio app on ATV now--liking the radio more and more as I listen to it.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 10:47 AM   #297
Unconsoled
macrumors regular

Need advice.

Bricked after update. Finally found micro USB cord, hooked up to iTunes and said it was restored. Said to connect to the TV. Hit ok and the light instantly started flaunt again. Same graphic on TV screen to reconnect to iTunes. Went through this three times and no love.

Anyone able to restore but have it fail as soon as it is done restoring?

Thanks
Old Sep 21, 2013, 11:06 AM   #298
FlatlinerG
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMichaelJames View Post
I have this thing called a local network. It is my own PRIVATE cloud that contains a NAS full of video files that cannot be played within Apple TV because it isn't cataloged inside iTunes. My private cloud will forever be better than any other cloud service. More bandwidth, faster access, and practically unlimited space.
Can totally be played on an Apple TV. Look into Air Video Server and the Air Video app for iOS.
...and many more.
FlatlinerG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 11:15 AM   #299
tdhurst
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to tdhurst Send a message via Yahoo to tdhurst Send a message via Skype™ to tdhurst
Ugggghhh!

After updating, the screen told me to connect to iTunes.

After connecting to iTunes, downloading the software and restoring, I plugged it back in to the TV as instructed.

Same screen as before. Arrrrgh!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unconsoled View Post
Need advice.

Bricked after update. Finally found micro USB cord, hooked up to iTunes and said it was restored. Said to connect to the TV. Hit ok and the light instantly started flaunt again. Same graphic on TV screen to reconnect to iTunes. Went through this three times and no love.

Anyone able to restore but have it fail as soon as it is done restoring?

Thanks
Same thing happened to me. Taking it in to the Apple Store this afternoon. Argh!
tdhurst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 11:15 AM   #300
Unconsoled
macrumors regular

Same here tdhurst

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion