Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jack2wai2

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
When ios 7 was first released, I came across many posts that suggest that ios 7 is sluggish on Ipad. People say it is not optimized for Ipad and I think, I found the obvious evidence for it.

Remember what's beside slide to unlock icon in previous ios-es? It was photo slide show.now, in ios 7, just like iPhone, it is a shortcut for camera app. Hereby attached a screenshot.

http://postimg.org/image/cgi30p6ct/

Crossing my fingers to see a new update for Ipad coming in October event.

What are your thoughts?

dazcox5181

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2005
Essex, UK
When ios 7 was first released, I came across many posts that suggest that ios 7 is sluggish on Ipad. People say it is not optimized for Ipad and I think, I found the obvious evidence for it.

Remember what's beside slide to unlock icon in previous ios-es? It was photo slide show.now, in ios 7, just like iPhone, it is a shortcut for camera app. Hereby attached a screenshot.

What are your thoughts?

OMG didn't notice this had gone! Didn't use it often but my parents do- must tell them not to update yet

jack2wai2

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
Glad that I notice something that may prevent some frustration. Have a nice day

Markyyy

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2013
There will almost certainly be an update to iOS7 when the new iPad arrives next month. One example of how the current iOS7 on iPad is just a scaled up version of an iOS designed for iPhone is the folders. The folders are terrible on iPad. We're used to having 20 apps in our folders and being able to see all of them on one screen. The iOS7 update that will come with the new iPad will undoubtedly include a redesign of the folders, along with many other tweaks, and core app redesigns (I have the music app in mind here).

Just my best guess....

Fingers are crossed for an alternative darker UI too, compatible with all iOS7 devices!

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
There will almost certainly be an update to iOS7 when the new iPad arrives next month. One example of how the current iOS7 on iPad is just a scaled up version of an iOS designed for iPhone is the folders. The folders are terrible on iPad. We're used to having 20 apps in our folders and being able to see all of them on one screen. The iOS7 update that will come with the new iPad will undoubtedly include a redesign of the folders, along with many other tweaks, and core app redesigns (I have the music app in mind here).

Just my best guess....

Fingers are crossed for an alternative darker UI too, compatible with all iOS7 devices!
iBooks as well. The iBooks bookshelf is still skeuomorphism to the max and looks really out of place in iOS 7 now.

I hope that they also do something about the dock and the home screen folder icons, especially for iPad 3 and earlier where translucency isn't supported. The completely flat/plain block of colour that is currently used looks horrible.

I'd also like some options for darker UI schemes.

Markyyy

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2013
iBooks as well. The iBooks bookshelf is still skeuomorphism to the max and looks really out of place in iOS 7 now.

I hope that they also do something about the dock and the home screen folder icons, especially for iPad 3 and earlier where translucency isn't supported. The completely flat/plain block of colour that is currently used looks horrible.

I'd also like some options for darker UI schemes.

Yes, iBooks will definately be updated aswell :). In fact, I think Apple may reveal they've made deals with textbook companies to provide digital versions of their textbooks. I'm talking about the major textbook companies. (I live in the UK, I don't think they have the main textbook companies onboard yet). And they can't leave GarageBand the way it is with all its skeuomorphism, so I'm thinking they will update that also. Podcasts too.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
So for years we have always poked fun of Android users saying that tablet apps are just scaled up phone apps. Now it appears that Apple has decided to put out an OS that was designed for the iPhone 5s. Wow i'm glad I did not upgrade any of my iPads.

I'll wait for the iPad 5 to see if they have properly optimized iOS 7 for the iPad.

kristalsoldier

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2013
So for years we have always poked fun of Android users saying that tablet apps are just scaled up phone apps. Now it appears that Apple has decided to put out an OS that was designed for the iPhone 5s. Wow i'm glad I did not upgrade any of my iPads.

I'll wait for the iPad 5 to see if they have properly optimized iOS 7 for the iPad.

I am quite sure Apple will optimize iOS7 for at least the iPad4. I expect that will happen after iPad5 is released though.

SHAL0MINTHEH0ME

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2013
I noticed I cannot 4 finger close back to home screen from newsstand on my iPad. I wonder if this was missed due to lack of iPad optimization?

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006

What are your thoughts?

It runs smoothly on my wife's iPad 4 (retina with lightning connector)

jack2wai2

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
Nice.

It runs smoothly on my wife's iPad 4 (retina with lightning connector)

Nice to hear that. Did you perform a fresh install? Mine suffers from minor lag and occasional app crashes. Something has to be ironed out to maximise the potential of the mighty iPad. =D

rojct20

macrumors member
May 15, 2013
SPI
Smart Cover does't work!

Using iPad 4....Battery runs down...Smart Cover doesn't put it in sleep mode.
Restart took care of the problem

Last edited:

businezguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
I'm finding my battery life has also been significantly impacted. In fact, I'd estimate my battery life is about half of what it used to be. I'm going to run the battery down to see if I can get some improvement, but clearly the OS needs work for the iPad.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Nice to hear that. Did you perform a fresh install? Mine suffers from minor lag and occasional app crashes. Something has to be ironed out to maximise the potential of the mighty iPad. =D

Nope. Just did an OTA update.

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
I'm finding my battery life has also been significantly impacted. In fact, I'd estimate my battery life is about half of what it used to be. I'm going to run the battery down to see if I can get some improvement, but clearly the OS needs work for the iPad.
I'm seeing the same on my iPad 3. I used to get about 9.5 to 10 hours usage on a charge. Yesterday after updating to iOS 7 my iPad hit 1% and powered down at almost exactly 8 hours of usage. Not as bad as half but still a significant drop.

kristalsoldier

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2013

My iPAd4 runs smooth enough. Smart cover works. But I am noticing a hit to the battery and yes, I have had at least one app crash a number of times (PDF Expert).

arcite

macrumors 6502a
When I tried out iOS7 on my iPad 3 I was physically watching the power tick down while the iPad was just idling. Along with the tiny folder view, I think its clear there is much optimization needing to be done for iPad. I rolled back to iOS6 and everything is snappy again. Perhaps in a month or so after a patch or two they'll get it together. :rolleyes:

jack2wai2

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
Welcome.

Thank you! Everything seems to work better now...and Smart Cover puts it to sleep, thanks again.

Glad that my suggestion helps. Enjoy your iPad with a new life. Let's hope a better version of iOS 7 will be made just for iPad.

----------

My iPAd4 runs smooth enough. Smart cover works. But I am noticing a hit to the battery and yes, I have had at least one app crash a number of times (PDF Expert).

I had my plant vs. zombie 2 crashed. Was in the final wave ...:D

davidinva

macrumors 6502a
I updated my iPad (3rd) and iPod (5th) and the only hitch was that the iPod install stopped after a half-an-hour and I had to restart. The one for the iPad was ok. Both took about 2.5 hours over my (poky) DSL.

I like being able to put more apps in a folder, but the limitation of nine per visible folder is a nuisance. To me, the folder should fill the screen of the device, which would be a 5x5 app folder on the iPod and a 5x6 or 5x7 on the iPad. I also found that both screens look better with a black or dark background. The new design icons show up better for me with dark backgrounds.

I use my devices mostly plugged in, so haven't noticed the change in battery life. My iPad battery never lasts as long as most folks claim theirs do. My devices run on battery mostly when the grand nieces are playing games on them. They seem to drain quickly then.

jack2wai2

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
5 x 7 will be nice on iPad. Full Screen is what I want (or most of us want) for app drawer~~ :apple:

.macbookpro.

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2012
london
Apple made this big deal about the translucency of the os, and a less than year old device (iPad mini) can't support it. If there are any developers out there(or people who want to guess) why can't a device support translucency? How memory and cpu intensive is it?
i think i would sacrifice 1-2 hours of battery life for translucency, since at the moment I get easily 12 hours of internet surfing and youtube watching
I updated to iOS7 on the hopes that it would be like the adverts and the videos, but the core elements are missing.

cypriot

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
I think this has to be highlited by macrumors as a frontpage story and Apple has to fix it asap. You wouldnt eat a half-cooked meal in restaurant. Apple forums are full of complaints. Nothing has been done. Its a shame. They could restrict update for iphones and release when its done. We would be waiting silently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.