Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevingaffney

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2008
I know there's loads of treads on AirPort Extreme and I've read most without getting an answer to my setup. With my current router, my wifi is patchy in a couple of outer corners of my house, speed is fine. Is extreme likely to extend wifi range and speed. In setting up do I plug it direct into wall socket or plug into existing router. I'm not very techie and 200 euros is a considerable outlay for me at the moment. I dontcwant to end up wasting money

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
I know there's loads of treads on AirPort Extreme and I've read most without getting an answer to my setup. With my current router, my wifi is patchy in a couple of outer corners of my house, speed is fine. Is extreme likely to extend wifi range and speed. In setting up do I plug it direct into wall socket or plug into existing router. I'm not very techie and 200 euros is a considerable outlay for me at the moment. I dontcwant to end up wasting money

Best way to run one is to use your existing router in Bridge Mode so it simply acts as a gateway to the Internet then let AE act as your main router and handle everything else. Whether it will solve your wifi issues is impossible to say as the geography of one's property and network setup differs for everyone. It depends on a myriad of things e.g. the walls in your property might be thick or if not thick it can depend on the building materials used etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.