Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevo1011

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2010
Is anyone having airplay trouble? I can hear the audio but no video. I tried mirroring and the no airplay screen appeared.

brucerb

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2013
Can't get the new version, only the old version...

I can only get version 1.4.3 from the app store, which only supports Airplay audio. Seem to be unable to grab version 2.1 which supports Airplay video.

What's weird is that a search shows version 2.1 dated 9/17/2013, but "buying" it downloads version 1.4.3. Must be something weird going on with Apple's servers?
(This is on both and iPad 3 and iPhone 4S with the latest iOS 6 (6.1.3)).

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
So I just tested this out. Not crazy about their implementation:
1) The AirPlay stops if you switch to a different app or turn off the phone display. Worried this will be a battery hog. See Plex for how to do AirPlay right.
2) The picture quality sucks. Like VHS quality. Well, it starts off sucking really badly, and then after a minute or two it seems to sharpen up, but it sometimes goes back to sucking again, and even at its best, it's a far cry from iTunes store HD. I'm not sure if the quality is worse over AirPlay, or if it sucks just as bad when watching it on the iOS device itself. I used an iPhone 5 and I think it looks pretty bad on the iPhone display as well.

I suspect that this will be "better than nothing" for the occasional show I may want to watch that Amazon Instant is giving me for free (I'm a Prime member), but I certainly wouldn't want to watch an HD action movie with it. YMMV. If you have a small TV, then you may think the quality is fine.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
So I just tested this out. Not crazy about their implementation:
1) The AirPlay stops if you switch to a different app or turn off the phone display. Worried this will be a battery hog. See Plex for how to do AirPlay right.
2) The picture quality sucks. Like VHS quality. Well, it starts off sucking really badly, and then after a minute or two it seems to sharpen up, but it sometimes goes back to sucking again, and even at its best, it's a far cry from iTunes store HD. I'm not sure if the quality is worse over AirPlay, or if it sucks just as bad when watching it on the iOS device itself. I used an iPhone 5 and I think it looks pretty bad on the iPhone display as well.

I suspect that this will be "better than nothing" for the occasional show I may want to watch that Amazon Instant is giving me for free (I'm a Prime member), but I certainly wouldn't want to watch an HD action movie with it. YMMV. If you have a small TV, then you may think the quality is fine.

Wait for iOS 7, as apps that could run in the background may behave differently and do what you are expecting them to do.

slprescott

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2012
Still only audio?

For anyone only hearing audio:

I originally thought it wasn't working since the Apple TV displayed the error message about the app not supporting Airplay Mirroring. But is does work... I just needed to press the Airplay button in the app itself. It's not enough just to have Airplay Mirroring turned on for the full iPad. Actually I first needed to direct Airplay to the iPad itself and then a 2nd time to the Apple TV, then it worked.

Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I'm happy to see AirPlay support for Amazon finally. I haven't tried it yet though. I hope this is a stepping stone to getting Amazon on the Apple TV - maybe even today.

mikeheenan

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2007
And this is why I never use this app. I'd watch videos at the gym, but I don't get Wifi! I just stick to Netflix... It's my choice whether I want to use my 3G data (Verizon unlimited...) to watch videos, they should at least let me do it.

Same here... I've used prime for years and knew of the streaming option but never really used it. I noticed they have a pretty diverse selection but a lot of titles are missing subtitles/captions which I need because of hearing loss and Netflix provides them on most titles.

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
Wait for iOS 7, as apps that could run in the background may behave differently and do what you are expecting them to do.
I upgraded to iOS7 last night, and just tried the Amazon app again. No such luck. When I left the app, the video did continue to play for a few seconds (which seemed a little different than the other day), but then it still stopped. Picture quality still stunk, too.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
I upgraded to iOS7 last night, and just tried the Amazon app again. No such luck. When I left the app, the video did continue to play for a few seconds (which seemed a little different than the other day), but then it still stopped. Picture quality still stunk, too.

Try removing the app, restarting your phone (power off and power on).
Then install again. If this doesn't work, then I'm afraid you may need to wait until an update is released.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
This app sucks. Airplay hardly ever works. When you do get a movie to stream to an ATV through Airplay, the video randomly freezes for no reason. Amazon probably did it by design to get people to buy their fire tv stick.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
so, if I wanted to download an HD movie from Amazon via iOS (iPhone or iPad), and AirPlay to my Apple TV will I get 1080p? Will it play DD5.1 or DD+ 5.1?

What about via blu-ray player? My BD player will play HDX DD+ ultraviolet videos via VUDU, and has an Amazon video player, will this be the better way to go?

...some things not on blu-ray are also not available in iTunes HD, but, some are available on Amazon. Not wanting SD quality, so if this is not going to give me same HD quality as iTunes, might as well buy the DVD...DVD upscaling (play in my BD player) usually looks better than SD downloads (plus DVD might have extras).

If only Apple would allow an Amazon Apple TV channel. ...They could make iTunes available to Roku, etc. :rolleyes:

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Was going to say how I thought they did that a couple years ago then I looked at op post date.

To bad app doesn't work on cellular

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
Awesome! I know why Amazon disabled AirPlay functionality, but it always seemed like a futile move. I'm sure it partly has to do with the absolute dismal sales of the Fire tablets. Amazon would be better served to make their content ubiquitous and just sell their devices as a secondary matter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.