Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Samsung was the main focus of a DRAM cartel which was in operation between 1 July 1998 and 15 June 2002. It involved a network of contacts and sharing of secret information, mostly on a bilateral basis, through which they coordinated the price levels and quotations for DRAMs (Dynamic Random Access Memory), sold to major PC or server original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) in the EEA. DRAMs is a common model for "dynamic" semiconductor memories for personal computers (PCs), servers and workstations.

In late 1999/early 2000 I worked for Apple when we were releasing the first generation iBooks. We sold out of them the first week and could not fill orders for the next few months. Samsung claimed at the time it was due to a Taiwanese earthquake which killed more than 1,700 people and injured more than 100,000, which dried up the DRAM supply. It turns out that was not the case. Samsung used this disaster to put a world-wide choke hold on DRAM prices

Six years later in October 2005, Samsung pleaded guilty to fix the price of dynamic random access memory (DRAM) chips. Samsung was fined $300 million, the second largest antitrust penalty in US history. They also paid hundreds of millions of dollars to other countries in their lawsuits as well.

If you want to support a company who uses deadly global disasters to gouge international companies and their consumers then by all means support them with blind eyes and mouths open. Plus I shouldn't have to mention they have had to pay millions of dollars to other countries for violations of labor rights laws and hiring children.

But then again it's all just business, right…

So you don't own any Apple product that have Samsung parts now?

Renzatic

Suspended
Won't be long till they switch to Intel. Unity with OSX is near.

Honestly, I'm starting to think it's gonna go the other way. Parity between ARM and Intel is happening a lot faster than I thought it would. We've still got a ways to go before anyone can say that an ARM chip is as fast as an i7, but that day is coming. And when it does...

Apple will have to make the choice about which platform to break. OSX, which is popular enough, but only makes up a relatively small portion of the entire market, or iOS, which is wildly popular, has the most developer support of all the mobile platforms, and outnumbers Macs at least 3 to 1.

That, along with the fact that Apple loves having as much control over their devices as possible, makes me think we're more likely to see OSX ARM than we are iOS x86.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
So the M7 is actually a NXP LPC18A1. Seems like Apple thought putting a M7 logo on it would make it seem more unique/exclusive and better marketing wise.
Apple can do great things but I have to say I personally don't like this side of Apple by which I mean taking credit for the work/products of other companies (and this does happen from time to time), making it look like it's their design/idea.

I bet they will most likely design future versions of this chip, so they decided to start early in branding it. Similar to the A4.

lazard

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
Samsung was the main focus of a DRAM cartel which was in operation between 1 July 1998 and 15 June 2002. It involved a network of contacts and sharing of secret information, mostly on a bilateral basis, through which they coordinated the price levels and quotations for DRAMs (Dynamic Random Access Memory), sold to major PC or server original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) in the EEA. DRAMs is a common model for "dynamic" semiconductor memories for personal computers (PCs), servers and workstations.

In late 1999/early 2000 I worked for Apple when we were releasing the first generation iBooks. We sold out of them the first week and could not fill orders for the next few months. Samsung claimed at the time it was due to a Taiwanese earthquake which killed more than 1,700 people and injured more than 100,000, which dried up the DRAM supply. It turns out that was not the case. Samsung used this disaster to put a world-wide choke hold on DRAM prices

Six years later in October 2005, Samsung pleaded guilty to fix the price of dynamic random access memory (DRAM) chips. Samsung was fined $300 million, the second largest antitrust penalty in US history. They also paid hundreds of millions of dollars to other countries in their lawsuits as well.

If you want to support a company who uses deadly global disasters to gouge international companies and their consumers then by all means support them with blind eyes and mouths open. Plus I shouldn't have to mention they have had to pay millions of dollars to other countries for violations of labor rights laws and hiring children.

But then again it's all just business, right…

Then you should also stop buying Hynix, Infineon, Micron Technology, and Elpida manufactured ram.

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
Once again Samsung shows Apple their superiority. They clearly make the latest and greatest in tech and everyone else just follows. It has to anger the super Apple fanboys so much that their beloved iDevices are actually Samsungs at heart. ;)

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
I hate the fact that samsung is manufacturing this chip.
I dont feel comfortable with it...who knows what kind of insight that gives to this lowlife company!

This low life company makes the best chips, the best SSD's and the best screens for Apple. Watch how bad Apple products become when Apple cannot rely on the quality Samsung delivers.

I hope Apple continues with Samsung, because they make quality stuff.

If you don't like Samsung, buy an Asus phone or something?

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
I see nothing on this list that can't be done with a PowerPC G4 from 8 years ago. All of what you mentioned is software, a die shrink and shift of manufacture to TSMC is not going to really improve the performance that much. It's the A7 that really is the huge jump.

I bet that Apple could include those features for older chips in a later version of iOS.

Imagine running the software changes I suggested (for iOS 8 maybe) on an iPhone 5.
With its A6 SoC.

Oh, and why don't you post some Geekbench results from that 8 year old PowerPC.
Would be fun to compare against similar benchmarks for the A7 (and A8 next year.)

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Once again Samsung shows Apple their superiority. They clearly make the latest and greatest in tech and everyone else just follows. It has to anger the super Apple fanboys so much that their beloved iDevices are actually Samsungs at heart. ;)
These comments are so insanely dumb. I'm a big Apple fan, but I love that ... despite all their lawsuits and bickering ... Apple and Samsung are still cooperating to make better products for everyone. Clearly it's more for business reasons than anything ... but Samsung gets to manufacture millions of their products for the iPhone, among other things ... and that makes them profit and continue to evolve their technical expertise across multiple devices. It's irrelevant what hardware is going into what phone ... every phone out right now has parts from several manufacturers inside them and it will always be this way. It's a moot point.

The wink at the end doesn't make your comment witty or funny. It just makes it look like you have absolutely zero to contribute to the conversation.

Glassman

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2006
So the M7 is actually a NXP LPC18A1. Seems like Apple thought putting a M7 logo on it would make it seem more unique/exclusive and better marketing wise.
Apple can do great things but I have to say I personally don't like this side of Apple by which I mean taking credit for the work/products of other companies (and this does happen from time to time), making it look like it's their design/idea.

The important bit about M7 is the software it runs, which is designed by Apple. The vehicle used to run it does not have to be anything special or custom designed. It just calls for a low power microcontroller and these are dime a dozen made by multiple vendors. The reason they are low power is largely due to the manufacturing process used which is quite different from what would be used for the main SoC. Since this co-processor's job is just to communicate with a few sensors over a common serial buses, there is no need for any special or custom peripherals and really almost any generic MCU would do. Apple would gain no advantage by spending time and money to re-invent the wheel here. Apple likely shopped around to see who's willing to supply the cheapest component that fit the bill.

The fact they specifically called it out and introduced as an M7 is a pure marketing play. With Motorola boasting about their co-processors aka X8 system (which btw. are also just an off-the-shelf parts) and no doubt others to follow suit, perhaps Apple felt the need to match these with a clear marketing message. They made it a bigger deal than it is and one of the biggest touted advancements of 5s over 5/5c.

cgk.emu

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
???

I've been here since June and have been posting on UI customization threads for the Mac and iPhone, and have partaken in several discussions that are unrelated to "bashing people" far before this article got posted to MR.

Okay, so you like your own post, great, you know how to press a button. Second, the fact that you have other posts doesn't negate the fact that you still randomly commented bashing people.

...and you're still a MR newbie. So, you haven't posted much at all.

tkwolf

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
I hate the fact that samsung is manufacturing this chip.
I dont feel comfortable with it...who knows what kind of insight that gives to this lowlife company!

Please turn off your existence. Here is a concentrated HCl.

This samsung vs apple hype is too much. I didn't know this rivalry has a positive correlation with stupidity.

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
These comments are so insanely dumb. I'm a big Apple fan, but I love that ... despite all their lawsuits and bickering ... Apple and Samsung are still cooperating to make better products for everyone. Clearly it's more for business reasons than anything ... but Samsung gets to manufacture millions of their products for the iPhone, among other things ... and that makes them profit and continue to evolve their technical expertise across multiple devices. It's irrelevant what hardware is going into what phone ... every phone out right now has parts from several manufacturers inside them and it will always be this way. It's a moot point.

The wink at the end doesn't make your comment witty or funny. It just makes it look like you have absolutely zero to contribute to the conversation.

Pretty obvious I was trolling. But I do think it's funny when it was announced this chip was 64 bit and everyone was like "take that Samedung!!!" and now to find out it was ther chip all along. Try as they might, Apple isn't leaving Samsung any time soon, no matter how bad the trolls on either side want it.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I believe the top is genuine, but the bottom one , not so..

That is one battered chip....

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
Pretty obvious I was trolling. But I do think it's funny when it was announced this chip was 64 bit and everyone was like "take that Samedung!!!" and now to find out it was ther chip all along. Try as they might, Apple isn't leaving Samsung any time soon, no matter how bad the trolls on either side want it.

FYI Samsung is acting like a printing shop here, it's not "their" chip, they simply manufacture it for Apple at their foundry.

yow.

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2012
chipworks updated their article with an image revealing the silicon:
APL0698_148138_PolyB.jpg

Bottom-left looks like the two ARM cores (mirroring each other). There are many smaller components, but the only other large-scale feature is three regions on the bottom-right, presumably the GPU.

A three core GPU - like the A6.

mactactic

macrumors regular
Truth in Tech

Samsung makes great products , Apple makes great computers !
Sorry as an iPhone user since 07 and every single iPhone till the 5S I am passing on this one.
iOS 7 is ugly as hell , can't deal with such a tiny screen anymore.
Waiting for the Samsung note 3.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Well then you trolled successfully, sir. But yes, Apple has been using Samsung components in their products for ages now... and not just iDevices.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
chipworks updated their article with an image revealing the silicon:

Bottom-left looks like the two ARM cores (mirroring each other). There are many smaller components, but the only other large-scale feature is three regions on the bottom-right, presumably the GPU.

A three core GPU - like the A6.

The GPU is four clusters. If you look you can see a block repeated 4 times. ImgTec does not support odd cluster counts.

yow.

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2012
The GPU is four clusters. If you look you can see a block repeated 4 times. ImgTec does not support odd cluster counts.

Whereabouts do you mean? I can only see 3, in the bottom-right corner...

EDIT: zooming in, of those 3 regions, perhaps the 1st and 3rd are each 2 components, mirrored upside down. That makes 4, with the "2nd" region being circuitry to serve all 4. Is that what you're seeing?

Last edited:

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Whereabouts do you mean? I can only see 3, in the bottom-right corner...

EDIT: zooming in, of those 3 regions, perhaps the 1st and 3rd are each 2 components, one mirrors upside down. That makes 4, with the "2nd" region being circuitry to serve all 4. Is that what you're seeing?

Yes, you've got it now.

JessicaRobort

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2013
The A7 Processor Powering The iPhone 5s Is Made By Samsung

It’s official, the 64-bit A7 chip in the iPhone 5s is indeed made by Samsung.

During a comprehensive teardown of the new handset, Chipworks was able confirm that the Apple freenemy is again behind another A-series chip:

We have confirmed through early analysis that the device is fabricated at Samsung’s Foundry and we will confirm process type and node later today as analysis continues. That being said, we suspect we will see Samsungs 28 nm Hi K metal Gate (HKMG) being used. We have observed this same process in the Samsung Exynos Application processor used in the Galaxy S IV. Our engineers will be deprocessing the Apple A7 as soon as they can to confirm this or to provide different information.
Inaccurate speculation this summer focused on whether Apple would finally be able to stop depending on Samsung for its iOS device chips.

Chipworks also has a more in-depth look at the new M7 motion processor that is designed to preserve battery life. After earlier teardowns today, some suspected that the M7 wasn’t a standalone chip but somehow contained inside the A7 silicon. But that’s not the case:

The M7 has been a difficult chip to locate on the board and rumors have been going around about the lack of a discrete M7 chip inside the iPhone 5S. All expectations up to now were pointing to a stand-out chip as seen below at the Apple Town Hall event.
Luckily, we’ve been able to locate the M7 in the form the NXP LPC18A1. The LPC1800 series are high-performing Cortx-M3 based microcontrollers. This represents a big win for NXP. We had anticipated the M7 to be an NXP device based on input from industry analysts and our partners and we are happy to see this to be the case.
If you’re interested in learning more about the technology that powers the newest iPhone, the report from Chipworks is a great place to start. They’ve also examined the camera sensor, Wi-Fi chip, and a number of other parts of the phone.

And what a horror, they used a gold iPhone for the teardown.

hchung

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008

Wait, what M7 logo?
If you look at the chip package, it says it's LPC18A1. It's even on page 1 of this ridiculous thread.

For those who arn't familar with these things, they're pretty much off the shelf tiny-CPUs meant to be programmed to customize.

Who cares if they're made by Samsung, UMC, TSMC, GF, or whatever.
This one's a near-stock ARM-designed Cortex-M3, laid-out by NXP-Philips, manufactured by Samsung, running Apple code. Given that's LPC18A1 instead of LPC1850 or a standard part number, there's a chance it really is Apple-custom, but regardless, it'll be pretty close to off-the-shelf.

It's no different than Motorola's sensor hub being a MSP430 from Texas Instruments.

And heck, Samsung's recent sensor hub is very likely to not even be fabbed by Samsung. It's Atmel, who fabs some chips themselves.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.