Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itouch rulz

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2008
my apple tv3 is broken after the update.. it's just blinking, and the -logo comes and disappears, maybe someone can help me? when i try to restore i get a message saying its not eligible for this device

You need to update itunes on the computer you are using to do the restore.

Even after the restore if the light is still blinking do a power cycle on the AppleTV.

I do both of these and my tv3 is fine now (and 6.0).

msh

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2009
SoCal
And if you have a backup handy, you can always revert back to it if you feel an update doesn't work out for you.

Yes, that's right and I do. But you miss the point. I want better quality updates from Apple that work so I can benefit from new functionality and security and not be in a defensive posture most of the time.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
I've never seen so much misuse of the term "bricked". Bricked means it's only useful as a brick, meaning it's broken forever and not coming back to life/usefulness. If you hook it up directly to a computer with iTunes, and it starts working again, then it was not bricked, it was just a crappy update process.

/rant

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
so, this update is a "ticking time bomb waiting to brick" ?

The only thing i had to do after the update was re-login to Netflix.

For some reason, they were lost, and only affected one ATV 3, not the other one we have..

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
The PC is becoming the boot disk of the 80s/90s for post-PC devices.

Priceless

Update ATV3 OTA, no issues during the update. After a restart the wifi cycled on/off/on/off about once every other second. Reminded me of the old days with password issues, so I configure wifi again.

It's been solid since, under near constant use. Hopefully the 601 update will help everyone.

Komentra

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2011
My Apple TV 2 just bricked last night when I updated. It keeps telling me to connect it to iTunes but I don't own a Micro USB cable. Plus, it doesn't look like that would help anyways after reading about it.

Not happy about it.

elgrecomac

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego
Well...maybe Apple needs to change it QA process

Was trying to do this upgrade this morning but it wasn't been offered so I then check Macrumors and found Apple has pulled the plug on it.

What surprises me is Apple's QA process. I get that some systems may have issues but for them to actually pull the plug on an update is an admission of guilt sort of in the vein of Apple Maps last year. Bricking a device, be it an ATV or an iphone, is really poor QA. Hell, there are only a few different types of ATVs and getting 1000 people to test in each pool of devices would be easy by expanding their beta test program so that thousands more of loyal users help. I think this would not be hard to do.
Come on Apple. Go ahead and use your greatest resource, i.e., your loyal user base, to help. Add more to the testing phase of software releases. Believe me, you'd have known well in advance of bricking devices before it ever went GA.
:eek:

dmarkman

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2004
MA, USA
so, this update is a "ticking time bomb waiting to brick" ?

The only thing i had to do after the update was re-login to Netflix.

For some reason, they were lost, and only affected one ATV 3, not the other one we have..

update 2 AppleTV, no issues
I didn't have to relogin to Netflix or even HBO Go

go figure :confused:

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
So for the people who downloaded and which I did and no my Apple TV is working fine but what does it mean? New Apple TV from Apple or a update to fix this for everyone?

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Will people ever be satisfied with technology that works well as-is? Will we ever stop demanding that companies cram in more and more features (WTF is Vevo anyway?). Is "leave well enough alone" a dead phrase?

The answer is no. Thus, turn around times get tighter and tighter and software gets more bloated and harder and harder to debug.

If people weren't so damn grabby about every possible feature, things might actually work.

Louis CK said it best; just because you CAN do something doesn't always mean you SHOULD.

Edd.Dantes

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2007
I can't wait to have a 65" Apple iTV... and then get an OTA update that bricks it.

Bwahahaha.

:D

Apple Internal Testing = Oxymoron

Makes me wonder if they test anything anymore...

----------

Will people ever be satisfied with technology that works well as-is?;
If people weren't so damn grabby about every possible feature, things might actually work.

You must work for Apple because you are obviously not a consumer.

Why do you blame consumers for something that is Apple's fault?

Roku doesn't have a fraction of the resources that Apple has and they are doing just fine. I unplugged my ATV when the Roku 3 came out. Why? Because it offered MORE. [I didn't ask Roku for anything. They, as a company, offered more. Their choice, not mine.]

You can ask Apple to add more of anything, until you are blue in the face, and they won't do it. They never cater to consumers... So your argument is not valid here. They do what they want, when they want.

Consumers are just "lucky" that Apple allows us to buy their stuff.

Try to call me a troll... I'm just as upset with Google/Android :p

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
I thought the same way for OS X 10.5 I wanted to revert to OS X to.4 asap, but I didn't, I gave the OS time to mature and eventually I ended up liking it. You have to give iOS7 more time.

But I liked 10.5 better than 10.4 immediately. I can't get used to inconsistent icon styles.

shadow puppet

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
4th padded cell on the right
Although I'm glad some of you had a successful update, this is exactly why I don't need or want to jump on the band wagon as soon as a new update for anything (hardware or software) comes out. It's not worth feeling like a beta tester.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.