Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Yep just like antennagate.
A non existant issue that the vocal minority made up to get money out of Apple.

Just b.c it didn't effect you didn't mean it was not real. The antenna in the 4 had issues and the 5 had poor anodizing

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
They all will scuff if you use them without a case. Just don't be that guy who puts his phone in a pocket full of change and keys. If you don't want a case, then use a leather pouch.

Yep..I was that guy. Finally got my replacement last week and it's been in its case ever since. In fact, either today or tomorrow, I'm going to get the entire phone coated with that film at one of those kiosk in the mall.

Lesson learned

HickDead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2011
That problem was real....I don't care who you are.

Of course the problem was "real" - for those idiots who placed their IP5 in their pockets with keys and coins or for the ladies who put it in their purse with the rest of the garbage they carry in there.

That would have happened with any "naked" smartphone....not just the 5.

I've had a blk/slate 5 (launch release) and I don't have a single chip/scuff/mark anywhere on the back or along the edges. Why? Because my iPhone goes in one pocket and my keys go in the other.

Amazing isn't it?

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Of course the problem was "real" - for those idiots who placed their IP5 in their pockets with keys and coins or for the ladies who put it in their purse with the rest of the garbage they carry in there.

That would have happened with any "naked" smartphone....not just the 5.

I've had a blk/slate 5 (launch release) and I don't have a single chip/scuff/mark anywhere on the back or along the edges. Why? Because my iPhone goes in one pocket and my keys go in the other.

Amazing isn't it?

Actually, not true. I am VERY careful with my iPhones. My 4 and 4S looked brand new when I upgraded to the new model. My 5 does have some minor paint loss around the edges. Not enough that its horrible or will decrease its value..but its a LOT more damage than ANY of my previous iPhones have taken.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
That's astounding. My wife has the black phone and has always had a case on it. She has scratches and scuffs just from it being in her purse where lint, dust, etc gets in. She recently got a lifeproof case (lol its huge and ugly) just to try and minimize the scuffs.

I think you are generalizing a bit, especially as a person who doesn't have the device. "Everyone who thinks this is a problem is wrong" is a pretty bold statement, and you have all but made it.

I think anyone who puts any cell phone in her purse without a case, sleeve, pouch or placing it in a separate empty pocket or empty compartment shouldn't be surprised with the unfortunate results. Same goes of those who put their cell phones in a pocket with keys or other abrasive items.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I think anyone who puts any cell phone in her purse without a case, sleeve, pouch or placing it in a separate empty pocket or empty compartment shouldn't be surprised with the unfortunate results. Same goes of those who put their cell phones in a pocket with keys or other abrasive items.

I have never used a case and just keep it in a pocket with nothing else. And my phones are always spotless.

Pics of my iPhone 4S when I sold it, after using it for a year and never having a case and always carrying it in my pocket or hand.

Attachments

• IMG_0719.jpg
    IMG_0719.jpg
    1,005.9 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0724.jpg
    IMG_0724.jpg
    824.5 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

explosive0

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2012
Houston
My understanding is that they have changed the manufacturing process to eliminate that flaking/chipping from the 5.
Doesn't help much, it seems. My 5s has a few scuffs from basically putting it in and out of a pair of somewhat fitted pair of jeans.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA

Huh? Did you read my post? She has always had a case on it...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.