Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple Mac Daz

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 2, 2011
Manchester
Lately my 2 month old 15" rMBP is making a clicking noise from the left side from underneath when I pick it up, sounds like the bottom cover near the air vents.

Last edited:

nickandre21

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2012
is it some kind of metallic click? I have the same on my two month old one. Apple told me its of the spring mechanism and unless i have any performance issues related to it then the noise is normal.

Apple Mac Daz

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 2, 2011
Manchester
is it some kind of metallic click? I have the same on my two month old one. Apple told me its of the spring mechanism and unless i have any performance issues related to it then the noise is normal.

Yeah sounds like that just a bit of a click from the left side when you grip it to pick it up

borgqueens

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2013
Denmark
I have read somewhere here in the forums that some clicking problems can be fixed by unscrewing the screws and then screwing them tightly on again. But you need get a rMBP toolkit to do that.

nickandre21

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2012
well my mac has been serviced twice by apple. One time the engineer said its normal the second time at a different AASP the engineers found it not normal so they sent a video to apple both said the noises is from the spring locks on the logic board, they cannot do anything nor replace the logic board unless I have performance issues. I had a polite talk and told them after plonking a huge deal of cash on a top of line macbook i do not feel great to have a clicking noise, they told me that they tried their best but they cannot do anything unless apple authorizes them to do so. I gave up on it, we have no apple stores here so things are slightly complicated, maybe you may have luck at a genius bar.

BR3W

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2010
I have the same issue but I didn't realize something wasn't broken. As long as it's some internal mechanism I can live with that unless it bothers me enough to take it into Apple store.

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
This is a pretty common issue that most probably never notice or care about. I've owned 4 rMBP 15" and each of them made the same kind of light clicking noise when the chassis was lifted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.