Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yannoulecomte

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2013
Hey all, last year in October I really wanted that iPad mini when I came out. But I looked at the specs and that made me not buy it. The iPad 4 was excellent for my needs but that weight and thickness was just...no. So I thought a new iPad would come out with the same design as the mini in March. Wrong I was. Then there was that rumour of a June release. I was quite happy because I would be in New York at that time. It did not come out. And lately I see how much I need it for my work, how usefull it would be etc.. when will it ever be released??? I've been waiting for almost a year! Is there any hope i'd be able to get it before November? And also is there also that same thing with the iPhone where people camp outside, then there is no more in stock etc? :mad:

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
Hey all, last year in October I really wanted that iPad mini when I came out. But I looked at the specs and that made me not buy it. The iPad 4 was excellent for my needs but that weight and thickness was just...no. So I thought a new iPad would come out with the same design as the mini in March. Wrong I was. Then there was that rumour of a June release. I was quite happy because I would be in New York at that time. It did not come out. And lately I see how much I need it for my work, how usefull it would be etc.. when will it ever be released??? I've been waiting for almost a year! Is there any hope i'd be able to get it before November? And also is there also that same thing with the iPhone where people camp outside, then there is no more in stock etc? :mad:

The rumor is of an October 15 iPad announcement, release would likely follow 10 days after. The craziness will depend on how much changes. The iPad 2 launch was nuts. iPad 4 was nothing much, but it was a fairly minor upgrade of the iPad 3 which had launched earlier that year.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
yes 15 October will be for sure since the same source said that iphone event will be on 10th september. So yea iPad mini 2 with A7, retina display, space grey and silver ,and we are not sure about the finger print for ipad mini 2(ipad5 for sure)

Velin

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
If iPad mini 2 has retina and A7, I'm buying several of them. It will be great, and I will be happy to be rid of the much heavier regular iPad.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
Retuned the mini just did not like the smaller screen. Bought a 128gb ATT iPad 4 and have not looked back. Unless the new 5 offers something really good, I am sticking with this.

James717

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2013
I don't care much for the mini anymore. I want a thinner lighter ipad 5.

And faster. That is all.

----------

Retuned the mini just did not like the smaller screen. Bought a 128gb ATT iPad 4 and have not looked back. Unless the new 5 offers something really good, I am sticking with this.

Ipad 4 is an excellent machine.

Ipad 5 may be faster and a bit lighter, but will take all the great things from an already great iPad 4.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I don't care much for the mini anymore. I want a thinner lighter ipad 5.

Yeah a lighter, thinner iPad 5 would make my decision tougher as I was planning to buy both. I'm also hopefully optimistic that Apple refines iOS 7.

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
Pretty sure there will be a bigger iPhone next year so I'm thinking of going back to a 'full size' iPad and selling the mini.

Diversion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
iPad Mini 2 = A5 cpu, nothing else changed

iPad 5 = A7X, redesign to match mini-like formfactor.. Thinner and lighter than iPad3/4 design.

This is most likely what will happen.. The iPad Mini will always get last year's CPU.. Retina won't come to it in a number of revisions.. Perhaps next year but not this soon.. Apple doesn't want the Mini to be identical to it's big brother.. Apple loves marketing everything as trade-offs.. I.E. Money gets you a better screen and performance.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Im still hanging tight with my iPad 2. The new OS makes it feel like a newer unit again to me :)

IMO, the iPad 4 will be the best buy once the 5 comes out. The refurbs will be super low and even new ones will come down. Unless the 5 has some monumental hardware changes or something, an oz lighter with a smaller bezel does not warrant paying full price. The ipad 4 would be my upgrade.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
Im still hanging tight with my iPad 2. The new OS makes it feel like a newer unit again to me :)

IMO, the iPad 4 will be the best buy once the 5 comes out. The refurbs will be super low and even new ones will come down. Unless the 5 has some monumental hardware changes or something, an oz lighter with a smaller bezel does not warrant paying full price. The ipad 4 would be my upgrade.

I'm still on iPad 1. That thing is a dog now, and stuck way back on iOS 5. :(

octatonic

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2010
London
I have an iPad 2 and a mini, both 64GB.

If the iPad 5 is light and has the same tech as the iPhone 5s then I'd get rid of them both.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
iPad Mini 2 = A5 cpu, nothing else changed

iPad 5 = A7X, redesign to match mini-like formfactor.. Thinner and lighter than iPad3/4 design.

This is most likely what will happen.. The iPad Mini will always get last year's CPU.. Retina won't come to it in a number of revisions.. Perhaps next year but not this soon.. Apple doesn't want the Mini to be identical to it's big brother.. Apple loves marketing everything as trade-offs.. I.E. Money gets you a better screen and performance.

Last year's CPU would be the A6....

Otherwise, I would agree. Perhaps an A6X depending on how small they could get the die. Would likely need to be to run a retina display which I think is coming.

McPc

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2012
CA
I sure hope there isn't a crazy run on the new iPad's like there has been on the iPhone. Either way I plan on ordering on-line as soon as they are available for pre-order.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009

The form factor and weight are the most important change coming for most folks that I've talked to. If it's lighter and thinner, then that's a massively big deal.

pear21

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
Michigan
I want an eye scanner lol, something super futuristic lol. I like the rumors of the lighter space gray on the back, I think that will look very nice!

Noctilux.95

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2010
LA

Text on IOS-7 looks awful on the iPad 2.

iMule

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2009
Greenville, SC
Apple hasn't put much emphasis on iOS 7 for iPad in their keynotes. I'd like to hope the 5 is a major update. The 4 wasn't much (I've seen people argue this, but come on).

There's room for more, and here's what I want:

- Faster charging and processor
- better iOS optimization with the screen real estate.
- fingerprint recognition
- better battery life

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Text on IOS-7 looks awful on the iPad 2.

Test has never been a strong point of the iPad 2. All these new screens with super resolution really show it up. But, with bold and contrast boost on I feel its fine for me. At least I know that my next iPad will have the retina display so I'll be set then.

Centris 650

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2002
Near Charleston, SC
Yeah, I think the October15 reveal is probably correct rather than the 22nd. I was in a couple of best buys on Friday checking out their 5s supplies and saw that it iPad section was thin. They had very few iPads and cases. I believe we will see an invite to the next big event soon.

And personally.....I can't wait!

Steve-Jobs

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2010
I'm very happy with my iPad 4. All I want now is a JB for 6.1.3/4 and viola, I have a fast, sexy looking machine for a loong time! (apart from the thickness :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.