Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Los Altos home where Steve Jobs first began building computers may be turned into a protected historical site, reports CNN. Located on 2066 Crist Drive in Los Altos, California, the house was first inhabited by Jobs and his family after they moved to the area when he was in seventh grade.

In the garage attached to the house, Jobs and Steve Wozniak famously assembled the first Apple 1 computers, nine months before the Apple Computer Co. was formed.

stevejobshome.jpg
The Los Altos Historical Commission is set to conduct a "historic property evaluation" on Monday, which could see the house preserved indefinitely upon approval.

Another piece of Steve Jobs memorabilia was unearthed over the weekend, with the unearthing of the "Aspen Time Tube," a time capsule that Steve Jobs contributed to during the 1983 International Design Conference.

Jobs donated a Lisa computer mouse used during a famous presentation to the tube, which was lost for several years after landscaping obscured the area where it was buried. In addition to Jobs' mouse, the capsule also included a six-pack of beer, a Rubik's cube, and a Moody Blues recording.

Article Link: Steve Jobs' Childhood Home to Become Historical Site

Battlefield Fan

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2008
I think we'll continue to realize the impact Steve had as time continues. This seems like a good step.

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
I think this idolization of Steve Jobs is going too far. Yes, he changed the world, created new markets, and did great things. He was also many negative things. Time to move on.

njdevil

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2009
I feel like Steve Jobs wasn't ever massively in favour of preserving tangentially-important things for the sake of sentimentality alone, but I could be mistaken.

Macwick

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008
Just remember you Government Central Planner types, this humble house is where a multi-multi-billion dollar enterprise was born, without any help from you.

drnick13

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2009
Appropriate

For everyone saying that this is going to far, they aren't making it a religious shrine or into an idol here. They are establishing it as historically significant.

To say that Steve Jobs was not historically relevant is shortsighted and naïve. Steve and his contemporaries changed the world. The Macintosh was the precursor to modern computers - ALL modern computers. This garage is arguably the birthplace, or at least the nursery, for this invention. To recognize it as a historical site is wholly appropriate.

Last edited:

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I think this idolization of Steve Jobs is going too far. Yes, he changed the world, created new markets, and did great things. He was also many negative things. Time to move on.

How is this too much? It's just keeping a house preserved... there are plenty of other historic figures who's houses have been preserved.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI

What's your point? The same four things you said about him could be said of most of the Mercury astronauts. Is it wrong to preserve their childhood homes?

In fact, I think it's more relevant to preserve this structure, because the garage of this house is where modern personal computing was born.

designaholic

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2007
Bristol, UK

There never existed a genius who didn't also do negative things or have failures. Obviously just 'too soon' for some, fair enough.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Other historical figures have had their homes become historical sites. This is no different except for the fact that this is where the personal computer industry was essentially born.

It would be nice for future generations to have the house restored to how it was in 1976 when Apple was started to see what the conditions were like when the first personal computers were invented.

It's not Steve Jobs worship. This is genuine history.

Asriel

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2012
Shouldn't they build an Apple Store? Like they build a church on the site of a saint's tomb. They are the churches of the religion of which he is the messiah.

I'm sure he'll rise again any day now.

Seriously though, if you see the scenes at a store opening there is more than a touch of Evangelism there.

Last edited:

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
What about Woz's house? He's just as important as he helped kick start Steve into the icon he is and the industries he influenced. Who knows where SJ would have ended up if he hadn't met Woz.

Asriel

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2012
Just remember you Government Central Planner types, this humble house is where a multi-multi-billion dollar enterprise was born, without any help from you.

Some help from Microsoft along the way though wasn't there?

Yeah, what an unexceptional country. Really surprised that incredibly innovative companies like Apple flourish here. <eyeroll>

I'm sure the next Apple will be in Denmark though.

Well the last one in terms of phones was from Finland so could well happen.

Last edited:

dewilded

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2011
He revolutionized the telephone (iPhone), music (iPod/iTunes), motion picture (Pixar), and computer (Mac) industries. He then re-revolutionized the computer industry with the introduction of the iPad.

Not many people on this planet can lay claim to having such a major impact on four unrelated industries.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
What about Woz's house? He's just as important as he helped kick start Steve into the icon he is and the industries he influenced. Who knows where SJ would have ended up if he hadn't met Woz.

I think the point was that this was the garage where the first Apple 1's were built. Basically Apple's original headquarters.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
And is the largest single taxpayer no less.

I think they should pay their largest quarterly tax payment a bit late once (and file an amended return to legalize it) just to see what whining ensues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.