Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
.. NOT. maybe 9,000 to poor unsuspecting fools.

I guess Uncle Fester (Ballmer) wants to go out with a bang and really bankrupt Microsoft.

funny part is, launch is not till another month, October 22nd, if I remember correctly. They're only taking pre-orders right now. The real comparison will be is how well this sells in comparison to the iPad 5.

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
Innovation at its best. From the company that posted disrespectful videos mocking another company’s design process. :rolleyes:

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
Guess they wanted to give it another shot before calling it quits on the Surface. I'm sure it took a lot of resources to create to they want to at least milk it for something before they have to pull the plug on it.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
What about this release makes Microsoft think it will sell better than the previous one? I'm genuinely curious.

It comes in white now. :D

I've heard the surface pro won't be available until next year. Why announce it now if it won't be available for sales for months?

----------

Innovation at its best. From the company that posted disrespectful videos mocking another company’s design process. :rolleyes:

And they still mocked Apple today saying they didn't want to "trivialize color" whatever the heck that means.

Dun Properly

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2011
People complain about Apple being slow to update its hardware (Mac Pro anyone?), then turn around and actively root against competition when it "attempts" to innovate. I don't get it.

Wilford

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2013
Isn't Mac Rumors supposed to bring news about MAC?
What Microsoft does or not, does not interest me at all.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
They should've quit while they were ahead & got back to what they do best - SOFTWARE.

Unfortunately Apple sell (arguably better) software for peanuts, and Google give away tolerable alternatives for free.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Ah, but you're assuming their software is actually worth anything.

That's not a fair statement, Windows XP and 7 are fantastic.

Office is STILL the standard in real productivity software.

I am not a fan of Microsoft but to say their software is not worth anything is simply being a blind fanboy

hutch34

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2012
Florida
I guess everyone is in anti-microsoft hate mode with the Surface products.

I've played around with a Surface Pro, and it's actually a really cool, really solid product.

To be honest, the biggest drawback of the Surface Pro previously was the lackluster battery life for a 'tablet' device. If they really have increased the battery life 75% then that is a huge plus for this.

If I was Windows-only software, and didn't need much more than Macbook Air like specs then I'd for sure get a Surface Pro 2.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
So their lineup consists of a tablet aimed to niche customers (Surface Pro) and one with a platform that shouldn't exist in the first place (Surface 2/Windows RT). While ignoring the most logical choice for mainstream Windows tablets, which would be Atom Bay Trail.

Good move, Microsoft. Good move.

z2daj

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2011
Worcester, MA
I'm really excited for the Surface Pro 2.

The improvements to battery life from the Haswell processor will surely make it a better device than the first gen... the only pitfall is the price. I'm personally interested in a Surface Pro given that it would be a perfect device for my needs, being an undergraduate engineering double-major. I'm hoping for a price drop come the holidays or Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
Nobody wants a sort-of laptop that has no keyboard hinge. It's difficult to use on your lap. And the fact that the keyboard is sold separately (at a high price no less) makes it a no go for most customers. I'm not sure why Microsoft hasn't understood this yet.

Make a laptop with a Surface-inspired design, and I'm sure it would do much better. Microsoft's hardware quality is good, and their designs are attractive, but this form factor is bad.

And drop the RT. It is not going to sell, period.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Windows isn't sexy or appealing. It's old and stuffy. Consumers have had enough with it and are not interested in having it on their mobile devices.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Do some of you realize how juvenile you sound? (And if you truly are 12 or under, my apologies to the kiddies). I will never understand this fanatical desire by people here for Apple to monopolize the devices we use, how we use them and ultimately, how much we pay for them.

Though I'll never own a Surface, I for one hope MS keeps it going.

SouthsideJohnny

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2011
I was sitting at a round table the other day with several friends and we all had iPads. We were lamenting our inability to click the lids and keyboards rhythmically while tossing them across the table to each other.

We were actually using them for real work. Not so much fun but much more productive.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
But all MS's customers are under a dome that nothing can get in or get out! How will their installed base get their upgrades to the new Surface? :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.