Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quickmac

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2011
I hope they keep on selling phones at retail.

But the flagship should be a QWERTY slider phone, not just touchscreen.

BB10 FTW.

They will. Carriers like Sprint and Verizon cater directly to small business and professional users. There'll be less handsets I'm sure but it'll be a niche for people like us.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
Quite the contrary, one can argue that the first real smartphone is a blackberry. They started the party in more than one way.

however, the cautionary tale of Blackberry is INNOVATE or die. Apple iPhone is a disruptive technology, Blackberry resisted it thinking it will fade away (just like Windows phone 5.0 and 6.0), but it didn't. Even Android contributed to Blackberry's demise.

I meant the touch screen party. Not the smartphone party. It's still sad to me however put.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
For Blackberry......

turning the tables with this investors or another ones, they must make a "game changer" Either in hardware, software or both. Liberating the BB messenger to run in the iOS environment is a move, for me, to mantain a presence, a usage.

But I have the idea Blackberry got a stronghold in corporate world before Android and iOS come to maturity and wide usage. I can be wrong on this....Yet, Blackberry have to enhance their offers, put some disctintive feature or set of features if they want to mantain a presence in the business. From that, maybe they can regain a user base.

Long climb to the hill.....:(

:):apple:

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Hold on a second, your company is switching from Blackberry to another platform (windows phone) with possibly even fewer apps and developers? Windows phone offers no real advantages for business users over iPhone. Are you aware that iOS devices can be managed and wiped through Exchange management tools and that Apple licensed the Active sync protocol from Microsoft?

If the concern is to leverage existing .NET development knowledge, you should be aware that Mono is a viable route for developing iOS applications. But even then, your developers should be able to pickup enough Objective-C skills to create a UI that would consume a .NET web service so most of the code would be server side anyways in most situations.

Well, I'm not involved with the systems side, so I wouldn't know. I guess the IT guys looked at all the options and knew what they were doing. I personally would have preferred an iOS solution. Funny enough there is a growing developer community in my company that is solely iOS and Android oriented. No windows phone. I was in the testing community for some of the iOS BYOD apps which were container apps for mail and calendar. These worked fine.

Last edited:

Madonepro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
Fairfax Financial is primarily an insurance company. What the hell else would they do with high-tech patents that they have ZERO clue how to use? Right. Patent trolling is the only way they will make a profit and benefit from this.

They'll offer Apple, Samsung et al the opportunity to buy the 'patents', prompting a bidding war.

JohnGrey

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2012
Cincinnati Metro
Called it. I bet Prem was thrilled with the dump since Friday, since either he or the consortium as a whole probably scooped up a decent chunk. Now that they're on the road to privatization, I expect to see Thorsten and most of the C-suite executives get their marching papers, sans golden parachutes. Given that they papered over the failure of BB10 last quarter, there's definitely some legal standing to do.

Blackberry is probably going to exit the hardware game (in fact I'm going to predict that the Z30 is the last consumer handset released in the US) and stick to enterprise and software. With so much strong security and communication IP in their portfolio, I'd love to see them license BB10 to Samsung as an alternative business-geared OS for their handsets. They could get the virtualization machine certified and put the Play Store on it to eliminate the need to sideload and have a pretty robust OS out of box. I just hope to God that should this ever happen they get new design engineers, 'cause TouchWiz would only make the BB10 UI worse.

sniffies

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
It is really sad to see a company that was once great at what they do and now has fallen.

It is really true when cook says, innovate or die.
Or like Cersei said, When you play the game of thrones you win or you die. There is no middle ground. :D
A similar fate is awaiting Verizon Wireless, you know the one that's the most reliable carrier in the US. :rolleyes:

futbalguy

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
Fairfax Financial is primarily an insurance company. What the hell else would they do with high-tech patents that they have ZERO clue how to use? Right. Patent trolling is the only way they will make a profit and benefit from this.

Its a holding company. Its similar to Berkshire Hathaway run by Warren Buffet. Geico is one of Berkshire's primary companies. The insurance company is run separately from the other companies but helps with cash flow. From wikipedia: "Buffett has used the "float" provided by Berkshire Hathaway's insurance operations (paid premiums which are not held in reserves for reported claims and may be invested) to finance his investments."

joesegh

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
Bought for patents?

BlackBerry's patents are, to my understanding, largely SEP's licensed under FRAND--not worth a hell of a lot for the litigiously minded.

How many companies ran in to trouble penetrating the smartphone space because of RIM's patents?

Yeah, none of them. Those things are not worth $2B+

joesegh

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
Were it not for BlackBerry, we probably wouldn't have the iPhones that we do today. Sure, we can call their last few years "amateur hour," but from 1999 or so - they were the pros. The rest of the devices were amateur. It's easy to laugh this off, but there is a potential for more than 10,000 people to lose their jobs. They may be "amateurs" in your mind, but they have to put food on the table like we all do.

It was a joke based on this horrible ad.
blackberry-playbook-amateur-hour-is-over.png

zgh1999

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2007
BlackBerry is pathetic.

Typical over-priced, excessively price-gouged, backward Canadian product that no one really wants and that is irrelevant.

I am surprised that there are investors willing to acquire the company.

Within a year or two, or maybe sooner, BlackBerry would be forgotten.

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
Preference I suppose. I used a 9780 before I got an iPhone 4s and was back to Blackberry within 6 weeks for a 9900 model. I avoided the storm, torch, and curve which I've heard weren't Blackberry's best efforts. The 9700 and onwards were absolute beasts for communication needs. If you needed an emailing, texting, communicating in real time with good battery life type of tech, any version of BB 9700 or later was eons ahead of other devices.

The Curve was/is very popular in developing countries. A lot more popular than the bold series. Just an FYI.

MarkNY

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
How does QNX/Blackberry OS compare with Android? Is it technological superior or inferior? If it's better, I'd think Amazon with their ecosystem could use it in all their devices and better compete with Apple.

portlandia

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2012
DAMNIT, RIM! Just install freaking Android OS in your Blackberries already! If you're desperate enough to sell your company, you're desperate enough to shake the whole company and start a change!

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
"BlackBerry has fallen on hard times recently,..." So, YOU GIVE THEM FOUR & A HALF BILLION DOLLARS?! Blackberry is dead. There is no "it will be successful again".

Patents... hmmm? Is this "crazy like a fox"....?

No... this is just crazy.

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
The same thing will happen to Apple one day. It's only a matter of time before some other tech company comes along that makes iPads/iPhones/etc look like today's BlackBerries. I hope Apple can continue to innovate.

kdarling

macrumors P6
I think that, ironically, it was trying to remake themselves that destroyed RIM.

#1 goof: not making their new phones or tablets backward compatible.

For example, we spent years developing for enterprise apps with tens of thousands of BBs, and paying good money for BES's and support, but when RIM told everyone that legacy apps wouldn't work, that was it.

Microsoft made the same mistake with Windows CE and Phone.

As good as the replacements OSes might be, you just don't blow away your entire core user base like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.