Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nitropowered

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2003
Ohio
I will happily announce that for all of you clinging to the Unlimited Data plan, it will still grandfather over to the 5S. I upgraded from a 5. I did a full subsidized upgrade (paid 299 for my 32gb)

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
was it rumored to go away? I still have mine on my 5 and hopefully still have it next year.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I didn't think this was ever a question on AT&T. They've yet to announce when they'll opt to force you into their new plans like VZW has.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
Honestly I use about 1 GB a month of my unlimited, so it would be silly for AT&T to get rid of the grandfather status.

iamse7en

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2007
I will happily announce that for all of you clinging to the Unlimited Data plan, it will still grandfather over to the 5S. I upgraded from a 5. I did a full subsidized upgrade (paid 299 for my 32gb)

How did you get the fully subsidized price instead of the early upgrade price ($550 for 32gb) if upgrading from iPhone 5 (just a year ago).

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013

What?

Why would you think it would go away. I have changed phones with ATT several times and there is no question about keeping my unlimited plan. :rolleyes:

Bearxor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007

But you realize that the unlimited data is capped at 5GB for LTE speeds, right?

Iphone5preorder

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2012
The day ATT eliminates my grandfathered unlimited data, I'll be switching over to T-Mobile.

You will be back to att in no time like many others if this happens. T mobiles network is complete garbage in most areas. Don't you read the forums? :)

Keep in mind you are being spoiled right now with the fastest lte network in the US.

----------

But you realize that the unlimited data is capped at 5GB for LTE speeds, right?

No it's not! At least not in Seattle. I go over it ALL the time and will happily provide screenshots. They don't throttle me and a ton of other people I know with att in Seattle.

Iphone5preorder

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2012
I'm in a major market. Verizon, ATT, and T-Mobile are all great here.

I'm in Seattle, about 10 minutes from to mobile headquarters, and everyone with t mobile here says its horrible. But yeah, Maybe it's good in your area but people usually won't admit the service sucks when they switched in frustration etc.

Legionnaire

Suspended
Oct 10, 2011
I dont understand this plan, i have 4s, 3g i go through 5-6gb monthly, sometimes I get throttled at 4-5gb, sometimes I never do, one month I got throttled at 3gb. I think its area specific and how much data people are using, if the towers are free i think they throttle less. 2 years and i've been throttled like 3 times? annoying when it does, but so rarely that i dont really care. is edge faster than 3g or no? so if your throttled on lte, maybe it will be 3g speed still

Iphone5preorder

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2012
Here is my recent history. They haven't throttled me. I have a friend who claims she uses 30+ gB and they don't throttle her either.

Could be location based but I think they backed off the throttling because the network is so much better now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 325

JoshGlzBrk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2009
Here is my recent history. They haven't throttled me. I have a friend who claims she uses 30+ gB and they don't throttle her either.

Could be location based but I think they backed off the throttling because the network is so much better now.

That's not really saying much. You can do 163GB a month stuck at their 0.5Mb throttling speed.

aloecool

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2011

What city are you in?

Iphone5preorder

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2012
That's not really saying much. You can do 163GB a month stuck at their 0.5Mb throttling speed.

Trust me, I would notice the speed throttling because it's happened to me before back when the 5 came out. When it first came out, everyone is playing with their toys and clogging the network. I think they throttled early on to allow everyone the ability to even use the network. Then, as people got used to it and stopped consuming so much, they slowly brought it back to normal.

----------

What city are you in?

Seattle, but I have no issues anywhere in this state.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.