Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xytal

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2010
Anyone else have this issue? I'll be going along, doing something on my phone and all of the sudden, it seems to reboot. The screen goes back, I sometimes gets the working spinning wheel when the screen goes black, but mostly it shows me the apple symbol for a few seconds until it's back. It seems more like respring than a reboot, but I have no idea.

I have launch day 5s, and my friends girlfriend had it happen once on her phone as well. I've seen some posts (thanks to google) about other people having random restarts.

I'm just trying to figure out if it's my phone or if it's iOS 7. I think the issue (for me) might be exasperated by playing infinity blade 3, but I don't have any real hard proof of that.

Anyone have this happen or have some thoughts?

And before anyone asks, I did set my 5s up as a brand new phone; no restore done.

dieselm

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
It started happening to me today too. 3 times. Spontaneous 'reboot' to a white apple logo on black screen. Wasn't related to any specific immediate action or app. Just using it normally, not doing anything special and it happens.

Don't know if it's hardware or software.

Grey 64gb 5s.

icemantx

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2009
This has happened to me too ok my 32GB iPhone 5. I think iOS 7 would still be in Beta were they not forced to release it along with the new iPhones. They may have been better off delaying the iPhone 5s and 5c launch to iron our some of these bugs before mass release.

S

syd430

Had a full reboot (Apple logo appearing) on my iPad 4 (iOS 7.0). I've also had my 5S respring immediately after opening settings on 2 separate occasions (iOS 7.0.1).

Xytal

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2010
Sorry for the late reply, it's been a Monday. =\

Apple Genius Bar Appointment.

Make one.

I'd rather not if I can help it. Especially since they could "fix it" by giving me a new phone that turns around and does it because it's software. =\

Yep, updated to it the afternoon I got my phone.

I've seen this about 5 times since purchasing my 5s on launch day.

I've got a thread about it here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1643050/

Thanks, I'll check it out!

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I don't think it's software related, because I had none in my iPhone 5 and my iPad 4 (iOS 7 since release and pretty intensive use of them).

ELSELS

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2010
Anyone else have this issue? I'll be going along, doing something on my phone and all of the sudden, it seems to reboot. The screen goes back, I sometimes gets the working spinning wheel when the screen goes black, but mostly it shows me the apple symbol for a few seconds until it's back. It seems more like respring than a reboot, but I have no idea.

Hello:

Yes, I noticed it just a short time ago.

I have an iPad 4 - iOS 7 installed.

I'm relatively "new" to using the iPad. :) - There's a lot I don't know how to do using it yet, but enjoying the learning process.

I installed updates to my APPS - and/or installing "NEW" APPS, and then it all-of-a-sudden - POPS up the APPLE LOGO...

I was thinking that seemed "odd", but maybe that is how Apple iPads work, rebooting after an APP, (program) is installed?

I have (had) no clue that now it seems somewhat apparent, this issue is also occurring with other Owners/Users with their Apply devices too?

Is there any chance of corrupting the actual iOS 7 during these moments of "wild and unforeseen" reboots?

I wonder, hope not...

Thanks for reading,

Have a nice day...

Ed

S

syd430

I don't think it's software related, because I had none in my iPhone 5 and my iPad 4 (iOS 7 since release and pretty intensive use of them).

It's happened on my iPad 4 running 7.0 twice, and twice on my 5S running 7.0.1.

samanthas

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2005
Portland, OR
My ipad 3 running 7.0 rebooted yesterday. I think I was just surfing the web while listening to itunes radio. Hopefully it doesn't happen again.

ELSELS

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2010
Random "Rebooting", Hope not corrupt iOS 7 crash?

Hello:

Yes, I hope it doesn't re-occur again for you, others, and myself. :)

I am somewhat concerned, that, (if the iPad, or other iOS devices) are "based on computer" designs, as I think, you certainly wouldn't "want" any regular computer (PC and/or MAC), to periodically "reboot" (crash) without a way to fix/solve the matter.

I'm mostly concerned, what if during one of this random reboots, IT DOESN'T actually reboot, and doesn't restart? :eek:

Then what? Are we (I wonder). going to be able to connect to iTunes, hopefully have it detect our device and offer us the ability to restore?

I have been doing the iTunes "Back-Up" on a more than often basis now, since this rebooting randomly has been happening.

Ed

Last edited:

ZeldaFan2435

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2013
Hey I'm also having this problem but on my Ipod Touch 5g 32gb. I was scrolling through the home screen when the screen when black and showed the apple logo. I was wondering if there is a way to fix it or my software corrupted.

Juanefny

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2013
Spokane, WA
Any updates from anyone? I am beginning to think it's a hardware issue b/c the issue does not seem to be widespread. I read in another thread that getting rid of a dynamic wallpaper and getting rid of of the parallax effect would get rid of the problem, but my phone just rebooted again this morning despite me changing those settings. I'm running 7.0.2 right now fyi.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Any updates from anyone? I am beginning to think it's a hardware issue b/c the issue does not seem to be widespread. I read in another thread that getting rid of a dynamic wallpaper and getting rid of of the parallax effect would get rid of the problem, but my phone just rebooted again this morning despite me changing those settings. I'm running 7.0.2 right now fyi.

Same here but ONLY a few days ago it started. I was running iOS7 GM version since its release and no issues until a few days ago. Then did it about 3 times. I did a DFU restore yesterday (Thursday am) to iOS7 then 7.0.2 dropped shortly afterwards so OTA updated to that. So far hasn't happened since the restore. It is like a fast reboot as the apple logo shows for seconds then back up. Seems faster than a reboot or start from totally off. I am using a 4s for the record.

[Edit] I also read somewhere (cant remember where) that it could be due to background app refresh. I only had weather enabled on that one but did turn it off totally. Cant remember if I did that before or after the DFU restore. Probably worth a try before any restoring. I already had Parallax and auto app update turned off.

Last edited:

Juanefny

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2013
Spokane, WA
Same here but ONLY a few days ago it started. I was running iOS7 GM version since its release and no issues until a few days ago. Then did it about 3 times. I did a DFU restore yesterday (Thursday am) to iOS7 then 7.0.2 dropped shortly afterwards so OTA updated to that. So far hasn't happened since the restore. It is like a fast reboot as the apple logo shows for seconds then back up. Seems faster than a reboot or start from totally off. I am using a 4s for the record.

I am going to backup to itunes and try doing a hard reset of the phone. We'll see if it happens after that.

jbimler

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2012
I'm having the same problem except sometimes it just seems to lock up and I can't even get anything to show on the screen. I do the manual reboot holding power and home button and get the apple logo. I'm seeing panic.plist errors in the diagnostic area.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Sorry for the late reply, it's been a Monday. =\

I'd rather not if I can help it. Especially since they could "fix it" by giving me a new phone that turns around and does it because it's software. =\

But if it's not wouldn't you rather have it replaced now while they might be in failure analysis mode and would give you a fresh retail swap (which also resets your warranty date by those few days) etc.

Make the appointment, bring your whole box, have a current backup and see what happens. Don't do any kind of updates or restores so they have the full diags data. That might be what pushes you from 'it's just software' to hardware.

----------

I was thinking that seemed "odd", but maybe that is how Apple iPads work, rebooting after an APP, (program) is installed?

Nope. Only iOS updates require a reboot.

Random reboots will happen but it shouldn't be after all installs of store downloaded apps.

Make sure you are consistently backing up and you will be okay if it doesn't reboot one day.

But I would make any appt or call apple care all the same. Better to waste a little time and find out its a software corruption now than ignore it, have it crash and not reboot and when you try to get it replaced you find out that you waited so long thinking its 'normal' that you are past warranty and have to pay to get it fixed.

A lot of new owners don't want to go to the store cause they are afraid they will be seen as nit picking jerks. But that is only true if you act like one. Go in calling the products and the company garbage and demanding a new one, well just don't. Make a proper appointment, have a backup and be there intent to learn and you will generally be treated very well.

----------

I have been doing the iTunes "Back-Up" on a more than often basis now, since this rebooting randomly has been happening.

Ed

I would set up iCloud and turn on the syncing and the backups as well. And copy photos to computer, not just have them in the backup.

Reason I say this is that sometimes corruption on the device can get carried into backups and corrupt them. So having two backups is good. Let iCloud do it's daily automatic one and you can still manually backup to iTunes.

Last edited:

Juanefny

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2013
Spokane, WA
I posted this in another thread, but I got an apt. with the genius and they swapped the phone. I set up as new and downloaded apps from the app store.. it's happening in the new phone. I really think it's an ios issue.

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010

Just because it hasn't happened on different hardware doesn't mean it's not a software issue, it could be a software problem on specific hardware.

yogibeartacodog

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2013
I've experienced the random reboot on my 4s and now on my 5s. I'm in the "software problem" camp, and I'm counting on a fix in an update. Really, it's strange, but not too much of an issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.