Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How and when will the new Mac Pro be launched?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Given Apple's recent advertising around this product, I wonder if it's coming sooner than later. Intel's IDF starts on Sept. 10th and could be the day that the processors and thunderbolt controllers are officially announced. Perhaps the new Mac Pro will get launched along with the iPhone on the same day? I wouldn't have suggested this before, but the planets may be aligning.

Another thing I would bet money on, is that the iMac does not see a refresh for at least a month or two following the new Mac Pro to give fence sitters a chance to jump on the higher margin Mac Pro without the lure of a refreshed iMac to sway them the other way.

macdud

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2011
No way Apple is releasing iPhone 5S, 5C... and new MP on the same day.. besides Fall is Sept.22-Dec.20, my vote is for an Oct/Nov. release, I just hope they at least release pricing info ASAP!

Amanda.84

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2013
Arizona
An Event, shortly after the iPhone 5S is launched

Will be launched at an Event, shortly after the iPhone 5S is launched. Or until someone leaks too much.

During the (all but confirmed) September 10th iPhone launch?

During the as yet to be announced iPad launch in October?

During a possible third event to update portables to Haswell, the Mac Mini and iMac?

During a mysterious fourth event to launch the new Apple TV, update the AppleTV and introduce a new 4K Cinema Display?

Or, it won't be launched concurrently with anything and instead will be announced on the website home page?

Who's voting for which?

compute

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2013
I think the important thing to keep an eye on is the official release of Mavericks and take it from there... there's no way they are going to release the NMP before the launch of mavericks...I have no idea when Mavericks will be released to the masses (is there actually a release date or is this top secret also? :rolleyes:) They could release Mavericks with the NMP all together.

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
It's already "announced", albeit not in the Steve Jobs fashion with specs and prices...

The question is, whether they want to give it max visibility. If so, they could couple it with an event focusing on OS 10.9.

Or they could have an event where OEM's announce all the wonderful TB2-enabled gadgets they are going to roll out for the Pro community (wishful thinking)

Or, they could launch it as an afterthought:
"And these were the details on MBP 13", with the 18 hour battery. Oh, and one more thing. The nMP is now available for order and we'll start shipping today. Go check our store for details...."

RGDS,

janki

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2010
Stavanger Norway
The new Mac Pro computer can be picked up at packet delivery in this building after it has received a final fine-tuning of its operating system.
Then, you simply connect it to Internet and begin to transmit all your files to storage in the Cloud.:cool::cool:

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    11.1 KB · Views: 625

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
Unless you work in an office of a few people, then it can go to the desk of a less demanding user, then further down the chain, or off to the home of one of the power users to make sure they have a good home machine.

Most companies I've worked in it's not obsolete till it's a fire risk.

Or you could just give it to your child for their birthday. You can paint it pink and put it on their desk next to their Hello Kitty speakers and "monitor girdle"
girdle.jpg

They can use it to play the Sims on their 3 year old video card (which may not even be crossfire anyway) and write book reports. Who needs platter drives? You know how many book reports a 128GB hard drive can hold?

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2007
The six people voting for the September 10th event can collect their consolation prize of a new iPhone 5C or 5S on the 20th.

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
probably going to be an october event .. hopefully they announce a new tbd as well. I really wish they would just release the damn pricing already

liquid stereo

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2005
Saint Paul
Soon I hope!

I just want this thing already. My MacPro is on old and slow. I'm not eager to repair/upgrade it.

Give me the new machine already!!!

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2007
This much is 100% certain...the new MacPro is coming with Mavericks pre-installed.

This much is 95% certain...MacRumors and AllThingsD both reported on September 6th that Mavericks isn't coming till the end of October.

Given the above, I'm going with early-ish November announcement of an availability date and pricing. Further, I don't think the nMP is going to get it's own announcement and it seems reasonable that Apple is going to want any portables and desktops updated (at a minimum with Haswell processors) and available prior to the traditional beginning of the holiday shopping season on black Friday.

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2007
The 23 people who voted for "an event updating portables, Mac Mini and iMac?" can collect their new haswell iMacs starting today on the Apple online. Maybe the portables and Mac Mini will get a "quiet" update too.

What does everything think now? When are they going to unleash the nMP?

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
The 23 people who voted for "an event updating portables, Mac Mini and iMac?" can collect their new haswell iMacs starting today on the Apple online. Maybe the portables and Mac Mini will get a "quiet" update too.

What does everything think now? When are they going to unleash the nMP?

probably novemberish

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
They will show up one day just like the imacs did today. Since they already announced them it is unlikely they would do an pre-order lead in again like they did with the 2012-13 imacs. As far as when, I suppose it could be any time between now and January, most likely tied to the production schedule of TB2 and of course the new Xeons.

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2007
I had hoped they'd announce a new BTO option for the 27" iMac with a 4K display and then produce a standalone ACD for the new MacPro.

Obviously the former didn't happen, but I'm still holding out hope for a simultaneous MP and new 4K ACD launch.

It's completely conjecture, but my guess is that they didn't offer a 4K display option for the iMac because either the panel yields are too low or it would push the iMac price too high, or both.

Either way, my inclination is that Mac Pro buyers are less price sensitive than their iMac counterparts reasoning that for many, this a business purchase and the cost will be recouped over time. If so, maybe Apple offers a 4K display mainly for new Mac Pro buyers which then paves the way for it to be offered next year as part of an iMac refresh or redesign.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.