Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arian19

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
I was pondering about this since the 5S was announced.... but is it possible that apple would add Touch ID to the rMBP? Apple for the past few years, has been bringing features that were on the iPhone to the mbp... from the OS to retina display, most of these features started on the iPhone.

What are the chances Touch ID would come to the rMBP when they refresh with haswell? Would Touch ID be under the touch pad? or would it be next to it?

What are your guy's thoughts?

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
I was actually thinking about this yesterday...

I would love a touchid on my Macbook. I hate having to always type the password when it sleeps.

Other laptops have had finger print scanners before so that would be pretty neat if the Macbook got one.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
I'd like this a lot. I use a very long password on an encrypted drive for maximum protection. It's a pain in the arse to key that thing in for simple OSX tasks all the time.

thedarkhorse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Canada
they could also implement some sort of 1password system in safari where all your website/account username/passwords are stored in an encrypted file and you just use touch ID to automatically log you into websites.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
Please no.

If they do I am jumping ship. They should do with face or iris recognition instead, not another indent on the MBPs, keep it minimal and sleek. Less is classier. Don't encourage this thought. Let it RIP. Thank you ^_^

arian19

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
If they do I am jumping ship. They should do with face or iris recognition instead, not another indent on the MBPs, keep it minimal and sleek. Less is classier. Don't encourage this thought. Let it RIP. Thank you ^_^

Face or iris recognition? Are you serious? What if they Touch ID is invisibly behind the touch pad that already exists?

I personally think it would be so annoying to put my eye up against my iSight Camera to check my iris... and technology would probably be unnecessarily expensive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.