Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

henryonapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
Hello All,

Yesterday my MBA 2012 was getting this message upon login:

"Finder Unexpectedly Quit"

It gives me the option to Ignore, Report, and Reopen. If I click on any of these, a new window pops up saying that finder unexpectedly quit.

After 3 or 4 times, my computer becomes stuck on the rotating circle.

I cannot click on anything - no applications, no console, no terminal.

Any advice is appreciated. I am going to see the Genius Bar later today.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
something has been corrupted. May be bad luck but if you have a Toshiba SSD it may also be because of the crappy sandforce controller in it

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
If newdeal is correct, you could start by hooking up an external USB drive with an OS and see if that will start your Air.

Lou

henryonapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
If newdeal is correct, you could start by hooking up an external USB drive with an OS and see if that will start your Air.

Lou

I was able to put my MBA in Target Disk Mode and backup the files I needed.

However, when I get info my user folder it says it has 80gb, but when I look into the individual folders it only adds up to be about 50gb. Anyone know what/where the missing 30gb is?

henryonapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
something has been corrupted. May be bad luck but if you have a Toshiba SSD it may also be because of the crappy sandforce controller in it

My SSD is totally dead. I have blamed it on the Toshiba SSD and sandforce controller

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
Luckily, I was able to do a full Time Machine backup before the SSD died!

There's a lesson there!

I meet a disturbing number of folks who think that since SSDs have no moving parts, they'll last forever. One crusty old coot of my acquaintance insists that because he's never had a thumb drive fail, they never fail, and so his SSD is guaranteed against failing. I've given up telling him how wrong he is and have suggested instead that a backup is defense against theft, too, but he still doesn't back up. <facepalm>

Anyway, sorry for your troubles, but congratulations on a better outcome than many.

MeUnix

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2013
San Francisco
There's a lesson there!

I meet a disturbing number of folks who think that since SSDs have no moving parts, they'll last forever. One crusty old coot of my acquaintance insists that because he's never had a thumb drive fail, they never fail, and so his SSD is guaranteed against failing. I've given up telling him how wrong he is and have suggested instead that a backup is defense against theft, too, but he still doesn't back up. <facepalm>

Anyway, sorry for your troubles, but congratulations on a better outcome than many.

Technology isn't perfect, nor will it ever be ;)

I always recommend to my friends (who aren't very tech savvy) to do backups on their machines. Most don't, and when hard drives, SSDs, etc, die they turn to me and I tell them, "Should've done a backup!"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.