Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sigma8

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2005
I trust Apple more than I trust EA. I also don't think PvZ is a big deal. I mean, it's not like Angry Birds or anything.

I can't stand Angry Birds, but I will give it credit for not being yet another tower defense game.

giantfan1224

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Big mouth VP? Even if there was an agreement like that, Apple won't have written it in a way so that it would become a big anti-trust liability down the road.

What is the anti-trust liability in paying to have an exclusive app on iOS?

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
Pretty much how the entire gaming industry rolls, so to speak. MS pays for 360 exclusives, Sony pays for PS3 exclusives, they both pay to keep games off the PC. Not surprising that mobile device companies are getting into it.

I think the one thing we can be certain of is that "Frank Gibeau" will be searching for employment soon.

Except the game was already done and ready to launch. With 360 and PS3 they pay for exclusivity well before the game is about to launch.

giantfan1224

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
This is a non-story. It seems MacRumors is getting a little to heavy in sensational journalism lately.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
Why would anyone pay for exclusive rights to a "free" game that requires a crap ton of in-app purchases to play? It costs money to promote bad user experiences these days?

emseven

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2013
Wouldn't a boatload of money be able to convince PvZ2 not to utilize in-app purchases That would have been a much-wiser expenditure.

nostaws

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2006
Oh, a company paying for exclusivity, shocking!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Halo being developed for the Mac (and windows), until MS bought bungie, so the xbox would have an exclusive flagship title?

Is this much different?

haydn!

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
UK
And this is news because?

Companies pay for exclusivity all the time!

How shorter term memory do you guys have? Remember when iPhone was only available on AT&T in the US? Or only O2 in the UK? Wonder how many 'truck loads of cash' were paid by those carriers to get exclusivity back then...

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
I REALLY wish there was some kind of law against exclusitivity agreements of products to single distributors / platforms, but there is not so everybody does this. I'm not the biggest fan of Apple practices, but they've done nothing that everybody else isn't doing already, including themselves with other things.

Not to say that I AGREE with their actions, mind you - just not illgal or even unusual.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
If it's true, that's hilarious because I'm never even going to play that game anyway. The first one got boring after 10 minutes.

----------

And this is news because?

Companies pay for exclusivity all the time!

Not Apple, at least not for apps.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Halo being developed for the Mac (and windows), until MS bought bungie, so the xbox would have an exclusive flagship title?

Is this much different?

The difference would be that this is secret. I'm still mad that stupid Microsoft bought Rare. DirectX can also go ***************************** and **** a **** for all I care.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.