Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nest, the company behind the iPhone-connected Nest Learning Thermostat, is working on developing a smoke detector, reports former Wall Street Journal journalist Jessica Lessin. While information is scarce on the smoke detector, it will presumably be controlled via an iPhone app similar to the Nest thermostat. According to AllThingsD, the product will be called "Protect."

nest_thermostat_iphone_app-500x356.jpg
The device will be the technology company's latest trojan horse into your home, which it wants to make as easy to control as a computer or smartphone. Think of it as the next node in the home network Nest is building device by device with the original thermostat as the hub.
According to Lessin, the smoke detector will have a lot of "neat" features that go beyond traditional smoke detecting, including a possible subscription monitoring service to remotely alert users if smoke or fire is detected (AllThingsD disagrees, saying the product will not include a subscription service). It may also interact with the Nest thermostat and detect carbon monoxide.
One person said the device could communicate with the Nest thermostat, giving it a longer battery life by eliminating the need for it to have its own battery-draining wi-fi chip. We also hear that Nest has discussed features like the ability to silence the alarm by waving a hand in front of it and the ability to detect carbon monoxide.
iPhone-connected home devices have been growing in popularity in recent months. In addition to the Nest thermostat, there are a range of other iPhone-controlled products available, including the Philips Hue lighting system and a number of automatic locking systems like the Lockitron and the August Smart Lock.

Nest's current product, the Nest Learning Thermostat, can be purchased from the Apple Store and other retailers for $249. Though there's no prospective release date on the smoke detector, Lessin's sources suggest that it could be released as early as this year.

Article Link: Smart Thermostat Company Nest Developing 'Protect' Smoke Detector

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Just what the world needs...a $250 smoke detector.

Just because something can be done, doesn't necessarily mean it should be done...

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010

Just because something can be done, doesn't necessarily mean it should be done...

Figure the target demo is the same people who buy those 200 buck light bulbs.

Edit: sorry, the starter pack is $200. Each bulb only costs $60.

Last edited:

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden

I paid about $200 for my current one, while it can communicate with an iPhone app, it doesn't have the same feature set as this one.

As a side note, does anyone know if there's some international standard for thermostats? Or are the US ones different from the EU ones?

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
What they should develop FIRST is a remote temperature sensor for the Nest -- something you could plug in in, say, your bedroom and then tell the Nest, "I want the temperature THERE to be [x]." My Nest is in my front hallway and while the temperature THERE gets to what I've set it to be, my bedroom is never quite at the same temperature.

D-Back

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2008
What they should develop FIRST is a remote temperature sensor for the Nest -- something you could plug in in, say, your bedroom and then tell the Nest, "I want the temperature THERE to be [x]." My Nest is in my front hallway and while the temperature THERE gets to what I've set it to be, my bedroom is never quite at the same
temperature.

Yes please.

swb1192

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007
What they should develop FIRST is a remote temperature sensor for the Nest -- something you could plug in in, say, your bedroom and then tell the Nest, "I want the temperature THERE to be [x]." My Nest is in my front hallway and while the temperature THERE gets to what I've set it to be, my bedroom is never quite at the same temperature.

And a motion sensor built-in with that, too. I had to turn off auto-away since I stay in an office all day that my thermostat does not see. Suddenly it was 83° in my apartment since auto-away was activated... :(

Squid7085

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I think that is the last thing the home needs to be "reinvented," unless they plan on turning the smoke detector in to an all in one "detector" that detects motion, light, temperature. I could get behind that, but seriously.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
This is not what people want. Nest has almost no chance and generating subscription revenue from a smoke detector.

I have a smoke detector today that annoys me when I cook. I have a sprinkler system that will go off if it gets too hot. But most importantly I have renter's insurance which covers me a whole lot better than Nest could ever dream of.

A fancy smoke detector is so mind numbingly bad of a decision it would cast doubts on whether the brain trust behind Nest really has any good ideas or not.

RyanKohl

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2011

This has to do with the air flow through the house.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
Figure the target demo is the same people who buy those 200 buck light bulbs.

You must mean the Hue. The bulb is not $200. That's for a three-pack, plus a "hub." Per bulb, then, it's only slightly more expensive than a good quality LED bulb was a couple years ago and not a horrible price for the features provided. A little expensive, but LEDs are generally a good investment due to their long life and low energy consumption.

But as for the Nest-style smoke alarm, I agree. The only usefulness I could see here is remote notification of smoke or carbon monoxide (and at the price they're undoubtedly going to charge, they better provide both). If they have a "wave hand to silence" feature, I hope they test it well so actual fires (or people by accident) won't be in danger of silencing the alarm with any appearance of motion. In general, however, smoke alarms seem so uncomplicated that I'm not sure what the advantage of a "smart" one would be.

But maybe it's one of those things you don't think you need because you can't even imagine its existence. We'll see. :)

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
This has to do with the air flow through the house.
Well, obviously. The point is that the thing that actually measures temperature -- the thermostat -- is rarely where you want it to be and cannot easily be moved. Having a remote temp sensor that you can move around would be invaluable.

2bikes

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
Protect can maybe protect me from other things too... Like a home security/fire alarm. That would be something to think about.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Smoke detectors are so cheap. You just change the battery once in a long while and that's it. Perhaps instead of an expensive smoke detector we need a cheap device that listens for a standard smoke detector's alarm and alerts you in other ways.

On the other hand, being able to tell my smoke detector that I burned the dinner so it shouldn't squawk just now would be very handy. I'm not as talented a cook as gokart186!

burne

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
Haarlem, the Netherlands
What they should develop FIRST is a remote temperature sensor for the Nest

There is that option. You can install multiple Nests. You can arrange them in various ways. Multiple masters, master/slave etc. Your bank account will hate you, however.

Also: with a single source of heating/cooling your results will be limited. Suppose it's 110F in the living room and 40F in your bedroom. Should the heater go apesh_t, or should your airco switch to arctic mode?

Battlefield Fan

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2008
I could justify Nest's price tag because it'll pay for itself over time but I can't find myself paying a premium for a smoke detector.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
If they bundle a full house solution package it could be a nice system.
Obviously other sensors and actuators would be better: CO monitor, video surveillance, humidity control, window and doors sensors, etc.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
I could justify Nest's price tag because it'll pay for itself over time but I can't find myself paying a premium for a smoke detector.
Well a smoke detected is kind of like insurance. To really pay for itself, it has to be used. And to be used....

jgdeschamps

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2012
I have a smoke detector today that annoys me when I cook. I have a sprinkler system that will go off if it gets too hot.

You either don't understand how those things work (and of course you are exaggerating using lies in your comment), or someone ripped you off when installing those equipments and your insurance company is not as good as you might think it is after checking and approving the installation.

Anyways, I wouldn't trust a device like that if it's not UL listed and FM approved for fire protection applications. It's a critical, life-saving device that shouldn't be downplayed to a mere iAccessory, like a thermostat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.