Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
My best trick is going into notification center and removing as many items as possible. Once that is complete, go into your list, into each item, and make sure that even though it is not in notification center, all the switches are toggled to off. Sometimes apps that are not included in notification center are taking up battery. I haven't figured out if iOS 7 fixed this feature yet but it made a big difference in 6 so I just make sure of that from now on.

Also, I'll toss in one for the battery itself. I don't care to argue with people about how the device "cycles" when at 100%. So if you want to keep it plugged in, go ahead - I won't say you're wrong. However, I unplug mine right away. When I leave it plugged in, my device stays warm. If you want to argue that heat prolongs the life of electronics, that's your call! :)

ELSELS

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2010
Correct (Proper) Method to "REALLY" - Quit APPS?

Quitting apps properly, not just existing them.
Makes a huge difference with GPS apps, Apple Maps, Google Maps etc.

Hello:

Could/Would you please explain the "Procedure/Method" you mean, for properly "(REALLY)" Quitting the APPS? :)

Thanks,

Have a nice day...

Ed

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
My best trick is going into notification center and removing as many items as possible. Once that is complete, go into your list, into each item, and make sure that even though it is not in notification center, all the switches are toggled to off. Sometimes apps that are not included in notification center are taking up battery. I haven't figured out if iOS 7 fixed this feature yet but it made a big difference in 6 so I just make sure of that from now on.

Also, I'll toss in one for the battery itself. I don't care to argue with people about how the device "cycles" when at 100%. So if you want to keep it plugged in, go ahead - I won't say you're wrong. However, I unplug mine right away. When I leave it plugged in, my device stays warm. If you want to argue that heat prolongs the life of electronics, that's your call! :)
If your device gets/stays warm when you are fully charged, that's likely an issue of some sort, either with the charger, the cord, and/or the device itself.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
My top tip :

Turn off the battery % and enjoy your iPhone.

;)
In theory, that kind of works, in the sense that it makes you think about the problem less or perhaps even slower to realize that you might have one. But it doesn't actually make it work better or worse. ;)

The other downside with that approach (and a good part of the reason why I personally keep on coming back to using the %) is that once you are under 20% you have a hard time really knowing how much time you might have left to use your phone (and what you can really use it for). Sure, there are 20% and 10% reminders, but even with those when you are at 8% it's still different than when you are at 2% and you can have a hard time really knowing which is which without the actual number. Sure, perhaps it doesn't matter to a lot of people and/or a lot of the time, but when it might make a difference it's often a difference that can be important.

abshole765

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
My best trick is to charge my phone, and them immediately turn it off.

Believe it or not it saves all the battery.

betabeta

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
I get a nice boost by turning off frequent locations, I think it depends on your signal strength and how much you travel around, but it really helps me to have that OFF.

Tamagotchi

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2013
Didn't upgrade... :D

Ok, honest answer here: having tested all the betas, you should disable background app refresh and anything that pinpoints your location. Still, battery life will still suck, but atleast you'll make it better :D

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Good tips here

Leave plugged in at least an 1-1.5 hours after it shows 100% will yield longer per charge time as the phone fast charges then goes to trickle after its "full".
Anyway here is a good write-up that I saw and I had pretty much already utilized most of these tips. Of course some you may not want depending on how you use your device. I always have system services off and iOS7 the background refresh is only weather. Standard turn off locations and notifications you don't really need. Anyway take a look. good info here

http://www.zdnet.com/how-to-improve-your-iphones-battery-life-updated-for-ios7-7000014902/#photo

Appler4

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2013
The best trick for keeping a battery healthy is unplugging power as soon as you hit 100%.

Tricks for elongating runtime on a given cell (as you've suggested) is about reducing load. Turn off as many antenna as you can, turn down screen brightness, and have as little going in the foreground and background as possible.
Honestly this isn't true. iPhones carry lithium ion batteries, this myth has been mistaken as true so many times, but lithium ion batteries can stand 3 days on the charger before damaging the battery.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Leave plugged in at least an 1-1.5 hours after it shows 100% will yield longer per charge time as the phone fast charges then goes to trickle after its "full".
Anyway here is a good write-up that I saw and I had pretty much already utilized most of these tips. Of course some you may not want depending on how you use your device. I always have system services off and iOS7 the background refresh is only weather. Standard turn off locations and notifications you don't really need. Anyway take a look. good info here

http://www.zdnet.com/how-to-improve-your-iphones-battery-life-updated-for-ios7-7000014902/#photo
That's not really true either. While it might still have a bit to charge in that last 100%, it certainly isn't something that takes even close to 1 hour, nor is it an amount of charge that will result any real noticeable lengthening of ("per-charge") battery life.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
The best trick for keeping a battery healthy is unplugging power as soon as you hit 100%.
MYTH

Ever notice that your power plug gets warm while charging, but not warm when 100% or unplugged? That's because it is regulated. When it reaches a full charge, it goes into a trickle-charge mode. It makes no difference to battery health or longer life with this function along with Lithium Ion battery in iPhones.

So, this is a myth, carried over from electronics that had old Ni-Cad batteries, and "dumb" charging that needed to stay plugged in until fully charged and get unplugged once charged.

JorgeLomeli

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2008
Monterrey, MEXICO
my best trick:

why9vs.jpg

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
I don't use any tricks. I don't see the point in purchasing the smart phone, then turning off everything that makes it smart in the first place.

I use it and charge it when it needs it. If that means charging it twice a day (I don't), so what. It can charge while I sit at my desk. And while I know that's not the best for the battery, I'm not really keeping this phone long enough to have it be an issue. I'll be upgrading next year. So yeah, I pretty much keep it all turned on unless it's something I don't need and won't need or a security issue. But I leave bluetooth on, location services, keep my screen at a brightness that pleases me and so on.

About the only things I do turn off are for individual apps (No, you may NOT send me push notifications, no you may NOT have access to the microphone, no, you may NOT access my photos, etc). But that's because I don't want those apps accessing those services, not to save battery.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
To preserve battery, these are my favorite tricks:

1) Turn off wifi
2) Turn off 3G/LTE
3) Turn brightness down to 0 and don't use auto brightness
4) Turn off all parallax and do not use live wallpaper
5) Turn off dynamic update/auto update apps/notifications
6) Turn off background app refresh
7) Don't use any GPS apps at all
8) Don't make phones calls on the iPhone
9) Do not facetime or iMessage period
10) Don't use any apps

iPhone should last nearly 24 hours this way! You're welcome!

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Turn off background updates (it only takes a second to update website the old way),
Only use location services on the app you really need it for
Reduce motion
Set brightness to 40%

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
I just use my phone the way I want.

I have wifi and bluetooth always on and so far I have kept parallax and background app refresh on. I limit push notifications and location services only to apps that absolutely need them. So far my battery lasts the entire day and overnight, but I am by no means a power user. When I installed iOS 7 I did restore and setup as new without using a backup - just iCloud for mail, calendar and contacts.

Richardgm

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
1. Turn off Location Services (or leave it on for must have apps).
2. Turn off Cellular Data when not using it.
3. Turn off Auto Brightness (adjust brightness to low).
5. Turn off Parallax.

iAlphard

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2012
MYTH

Ever notice that your power plug gets warm while charging, but not warm when 100% or unplugged? That's because it is regulated. When it reaches a full charge, it goes into a trickle-charge mode. It makes no difference to battery health or longer life with this function along with Lithium Ion battery in iPhones.

So, this is a myth, carried over from electronics that had old Ni-Cad batteries, and "dumb" charging that needed to stay plugged in until fully charged and get unplugged once charged.

What he said is actually true. Read it here,
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

There is also article about how to prolong lith ion battery life.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
MYTH

This is true if using a proper charger. The problem is so many people go on ebay or amazon and by made in China junk that doesn't do that just to save a few bucks. I have seen this a lot. I hear people say why pay 20-30 dollars when I can go online and buy a cheaper one. It is really sad how much people don't know then blame the phone lol.

DollaTwentyFive

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2010
Parts Unknown
To preserve battery, these are my favorite tricks:

1) Turn off wifi
2) Turn off 3G/LTE
3) Turn brightness down to 0 and don't use auto brightness
4) Turn off all parallax and do not use live wallpaper
5) Turn off dynamic update/auto update apps/notifications
6) Turn off background app refresh
7) Don't use any GPS apps at all
8) Don't make phones calls on the iPhone
9) Do not facetime or iMessage period
10) Don't use any apps

iPhone should last nearly 24 hours this way! You're welcome!

What's the point? No internet, no cellular = no data. Dim screen. No email. No GPS. No calls.

Might as well buy a dumb phone. . . . Oh. I see what you did there. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.