Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In addition to grand openings for new Apple retail stores in Virginia and British Columbia scheduled for this Saturday, the company will also be opening its new OEZ retail store in Munich, Germany. The store will be the company's second in Munich once it opens to the public at 9:30 AM Saturday.

apple_store_ifc_mall_hk.jpg
Apple's ifc mall retail store in Hong Kong

Apple is also planning an expansion to landmark ifc mall retail store in Hong Kong, according to a report from The Wall Street Journal. The current $50 million store opened almost exactly two years ago in a highly visible location bridging a roadway, but the store's size is insufficient to handle the traffic it sees as one of the busiest Apple stores in the world, and the company is now making plans to expand the the store to a third level.
The Apple store in IFC, opened in 2011, is one of Apple’s top-performing stores globally, according to Mr. Azar. Currently, it is only a third of the size of the company’s flagship store on Fifth Avenue in New York, though it is adding a new floor, going up one level.

An Apple spokeswoman declined to comment, but pointed out that Apple in the past has said that its Greater China stores have the highest traffic and the highest revenue on average of Apple stores around the world.
As pointed out by ifoAppleStore, Apple will be displacing the Agnes b. clothing store and Le Pain Grillé café currently located on the third floor, but it is unclear whether the expansion is a recent decision by Apple or if the larger footprint was always in the plans but phased in due to leases held by the other mall tenants.

Article Link: Apple Retail News: New Munich Store Opening Saturday, Hong Kong IFC Mall Store Expansion Coming

Last edited:

C00rDiNaT0r

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
New York, New York
If agnes b vacates both the flagship clothing store and the cafe for Apple, it will effectively double the IFC Apple Store's size. Think of all the things Apple can possibly do with this much space!

See IFC floor plan screenshot attached. Sorry in advance about the mis-alignment at the bottom. In the screenshot you can see the space currently occupied by agnes b; the other 2 store below with the yellow pins are currently occupied by Apple.

You can see the actual floor plan here and toggle the floors (flash required): http://www.ifc.com.hk/en/mall/floorplan.jsp?shopid=55

Attachments

• ifc_apple_store.jpg
    ifc_apple_store.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 158

FelixAng

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2013
Hong Kong
If agnes b vacates both the flagship clothing store and the cafe for Apple, it will effectively double the IFC Apple Store's size. Think of all the things Apple can possibly do with this much space!

See IFC floor plan screenshot attached. Sorry in advance about the mis-alignment at the bottom. In the screenshot you can see the space currently occupied by agnes b; the other 2 store below with the yellow pins are currently occupied by Apple.

You can see the actual floor plan here and toggle the floors (flash required): http://www.ifc.com.hk/en/mall/floorplan.jsp?shopid=55

Agnes b. would need to really be bought out; that's one if their prime locations.

But I'm happy for the expansion. Although the Hysan Apple store is my favorite to visit, the IFC store is always packed, despite being so big.

C00rDiNaT0r

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
New York, New York
Agnes b. would need to really be bought out; that's one if their prime locations.

But I'm happy for the expansion. Although the Hysan Apple store is my favorite to visit, the IFC store is always packed, despite being so big.

Apple can either out-bid agnes b. or pay them to relocate. Either way Apple only needs to pay up, unless agnes b. asks for a ridiculous amount.

I haven't been to HK since May 2012, so I have yet to visit the Hysan and Festival Walk stores. I'll definitely check them out next time I'm there!

tuyylihk

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2012
So the IFC one will be larger than the Causeway Bay one.
But what should Apple do with the expanded space?
Still I think the Causeway Bay one is too large which it needs to be filled with same products in two different floors (the shop has three floors). But the good thing is that it will not be so crowded, which makes the customer more comfortable.
Not sure if this is a good move for Apple. But I will look forward to this expansion. I am working just nearby so this is the shop I go most.

Urban Joe

Suspended
Mar 19, 2012
Awesome

WOW! That's the coolest, awesome-est Apple Store I've ever seen. They should def use that in more ads. Especially since, as they said, it's one of the busiest Apple Stores in the world. A great visual representation of Apples penchant for innovation creativity.

----------

Very beautiful view indeed! Pictures I took from the store this January:

Cool Pics. Thanks for sharing.

sunnyhk

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2010
Welcome customers from China...

Hope that this kind of scene won't spread to other store...:(
1234487_547651971975467_169635317_n.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.