Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has won the right to legally use the "iPhone" name in Brazil after a judge ruled in favor of the Cupertino company in an ongoing lawsuit with IGB Electronica, reports BNAmericas (via CNET). IGB Electronica, a Brazilian cell phone company, originally filed for the iPhone trademark in 2000 but did not use the name until December of 2012 when it released a line of IPHONE Android phones.

Following the launch of the Android IPHONEs, Brazil's Institute for Industrial Property ruled that IGB had exclusive rights to the trademark as related to mobile phones. Apple appealed the decision, and on Tuesday, Judge Eduardo de Brito Fernandes overturned the ruling, denying IGB exclusive access to the iPhone mark.

gradienteiphone.png
According to Fernandes, the iPhone brand gained recognition due to Apple's success, a fact that should have been considered during the original ruling.
The judge also ruled in his decision that Gradiente's name was just the combination of "internet" and "phone", referring to a mobile phone with internet access, while Apple already had an extensive "i" product line, registered in several countries.
Both Apple and IGB have been given rights to the trademark, though IGB has announced plans to appeal the decision.

According to a March report, Apple was previously in talks with IGB over a cash settlement for exclusive access to the iPhone trademark and it is unclear if Apple plans to continue with a potential settlement for exclusive access given today's partial victory.

Article Link: Judge in Brazilian 'iPhone' Trademark Lawsuit Rules in Apple's Favor

street.cory

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
Good. This was a money grab from the start. Not saying they don't have a case, I just think it's crazy to sit on something for 12 years until a product with your name comes out.

I'm sure those iPad factories Apple implemented in Brazil didn't hurt ;)

Aug 26, 2008
A bit ironic considering when the "i" nomenclature was revealed by Apple, one of the things they said it stood for was "internet".

Good stuff. Couldn't be made up.

6a00d83452002769e200e553f5f8d18834-800wi

That said, even though they applied for the trademark in 2000, not using it until 2012 seems obviously stupid. Funny.

Last edited:

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Apple is the most valuable company in the world. You're really going to go up against its flagship trademark and expect to win? Oh yeah sorry Apple, just change the name of your phones for us in Brazil will you pls? Of course not, a ban was never going to happen. Those phones look like a pile of rubbish anyway, I bet they sold exactly 4.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Hmmmm.... would be hard for apple to agree to set up (or continue) production in a country that they can't sell their flagship device in (under its known name anyway)

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Good...but

I mean its a silly lawsuit, of course Apple was going to win.

But what this ruling is saying is that trademarks do not matter if you don't have a product to apply it against, which I agree with.

Which means that some of the countless trademarks held by Apple and Google and Microsoft for potential future products should also be fair game to be taken by someone if there is no product to slap it against.

I don't like meaningless lawsuits, but I also don't like double standards. Apple better get an iWatch out there soon before some Brazilian company slaps iWatch on an actual product and has Apple eating crow.

Virtualball

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
A bit ironic considering when the "i" nomenclature was revealed by Apple, one of the things they said it stood for was "internet".

Good stuff. Couldn't be made up.

Back in 1998, that actually meant something. The character has since lost its meaning and now implies "Apple product." Think about it; the iPod didn't go online, iBooks are downloaded, iMovie is a desktop app, etc.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Good... Finally some reason in this case. I don't know what Brazilian law is like, but in the USA, if you fail to use and defend a trademark, you lose it.

Virtualball

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Apple is the most valuable company in the world. You're really going to go up against its flagship trademark and expect to win? Oh yeah sorry Apple, just change the name of your phones for us in Brazil will you pls? Of course not, a ban was never going to happen. Those phones look like a pile of rubbish anyway, I bet they sold exactly 4.

The devices wouldn't have been banned (even if the judged ruled in favor of that); the decision would've been used to strong arm Apple into paying IGB to license the name.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB

But what this ruling is saying is that trademarks do not matter if you don't have a product to apply it against, which I agree with.

Which means that some of the countless trademarks held by Apple and Google and Microsoft for potential future products should also be fair game to be taken by someone if there is no product to slap it against.

I don't like meaningless lawsuits, but I also don't like double standards. Apple better get an iWatch out there soon before some Brazilian company slaps iWatch on an actual product and has Apple eating crow.

Agreed. Name squatting is what this amounted to.

But there are always double standards. Apple has major legal might and resources. However Apple is also almost certainly working on an iWatch and so it's not hypocritical for them to secure that name. Though I really hope it's not called "iWatch" :eek:

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
The judge also ruled in his decision that Gradiente's name was just the combination of "internet" and "phone", referring to a mobile phone with internet access, while Apple already had an extensive "i" product line, registered in several countries.

good guy judge

giantfan1224

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012

What's a reasonable amount of time to get a trademarked product to market? 1 year? 2? What if you can prove the product was actively in development for 4 or 5 years? 12 years seems a bit much, especially if nothing was in the works for most of that time.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Oh....I LONG for the downvote. The haters are making coming to MacRumors a chore.

yes - such a chore :rolleyes:

I guess it's just cooler to post that samsung must have paid off judges in threads like these. That's far more productive, accurate, and acceptable :rolleyes:

I'm not saying corruption doesn't exist. But most of the time someone goes for the easy post of bribery just because they don't like the decision - is just silly.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Good... Finally some reason in this case. I don't know what Brazilian law is like, but in the USA, if you fail to use and defend a trademark, you lose it.

It's the same in Brazil; but I am afraid the judge's decision was not exactly sound - it just catered to a higher commercial interest. His statement that the mark connected "internet" and "phone" makes no sense whatsoever, as this "descriptive" principle would also have to apply to Apple, thus leading to zero protection for both companies.

In fact, Gradiente HAD a lawful trademark as well as a device making use of it within the prescribed time period. This is the relevant article of Brazil's main IPR law:

"Article 143 - A registration will become forfeit, on the request of any person with a legitimate interest, if, after 5 (five) years from its grant, on the date of such request:
I - use of the mark in Brazil has not been initiated; or
II - use of the mark has been interrupted for more than 5 (five) consecutive years or if, within that time, the mark has been used in a modified form that implies alteration in its original distinctive character, as found on the certificate of registration.
§ 1 - The mark will not become forfeit if the registrant justifies the lack of use for legitimate reasons.
§ 2 - The registrant will be notified to reply within a period of 60 (sixty) days, the onus falling on him to prove the use of the mark or justify its lack of use for legitimate reasons."

And yes, Gradiente has already said it will appeal - I still think that the most probable outcome will be that Apple pays some undisclosed sum and Gradiente shuts up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.