Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haydn!

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
UK
Pretty interesting read. I enjoyed it.

It's strange, despite reading countless topics and posts on here about iOS7, about how the animations are too slow, theres too much white, the colours are garish etc, after getting my iPhone 5S on Saturday, I've not noticed any of it. For me, it's simple, familiar, and just works how I expect it to.

oplix

Suspended
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
They should be worried if their horrid ios7 and recycling of old phones is going to bring any innovation that Jobs built the company on.

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
Pretty interesting read. I enjoyed it.

It's strange, despite reading countless topics and posts on here about iOS7, about how the animations are too slow, theres too much white, the colours are garish etc, after getting my iPhone 5S on Saturday, I've not noticed any of it. For me, it's simple, familiar, and just works how I expect it to.

Well the most vocal minority will be the ones stating problems.

studio¹³¹

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2009
I'm curious to know how people are reacting to the parallax effect that seemed to garner so many design and engineering resources -- and amounted to a lengthy anecdote in this article. I've turned it off because it is a drain on the battery.

I turned it off - its gimmicky and somewhat nauseating.

z3r0

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2011
/usr/local/bin
The heir-apparent to Steve is Jony Ive. He's the man everyone should be looking at to truly shoulder the ingenuity of the post-Steve Apple. Too many put all of the apples in the Tim Cook basket (and some for good reason). I for one, don't.

The irony is that Scott Forstall fits the Steve Jobs mold perfectly. Though I just hope Scott returns to Apple with Apple in a better financial state.

At least we know who are to blame for the iOS 7 melted crayon GUI fiasco.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
I feel like working for Apple would be pretty cool. At a corporate level though, not as Apple Store staff. But I'm not good at anything and I don't think I'd get a visa to work in the US. Maybe I can be their UK head of AWESOME. Yeah, that's what I'll be.

Rootus

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2008
Portland, OR
Ive is the man. Flat.
Ive sucks. Flat is dumb. Buttons should stand out from the background, not be indistinguishable. And for ****s sake, some consistency, man! Gradient up, gradient down, what does the photo icon represent anyway, why are there bubbles on the game center icon, and why are those bubbles 3D instead of flat, why are all the colors playskool bright, why is find my friends still skeumorphic, why are some apps black-on-white and some white-on-black, etc, etc, etc. Ive is supposed to be the man, but c'mon, a lot of this is basic design and it's amazing he got it wrong.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Ive sucks. Flat is dumb. Buttons should stand out from the background, not be indistinguishable. And for ****s sake, some consistency, man! Gradient up, gradient down, what does the photo icon represent anyway, why are there bubbles on the game center icon, and why are those bubbles 3D instead of flat, why are all the colors playskool bright, why is find my friends still skeumorphic, why are some apps black-on-white and some white-on-black, etc, etc, etc. Ive is supposed to be the man, but c'mon, a lot of this is basic design and it's amazing he got it wrong.

Wow Apple got it so wrong yet over 200 million devices upgraded, fastest software upgrade in history. And iOS 7 was widely discussed all over the place since June so don't give me the excuse that people didn't know anything about what they were upgrading to. I have friends who purposely haven't upgraded because they're content with what the have and don't want to deal with the change.

giantfan1224

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012

I get the feeling you like to complain.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
The irony is that Scott Forstall fits the Steve Jobs mold perfectly. Though I just hope Scott returns to Apple with Apple in a better financial state.

At least we know who are to blame for the iOS 7 melted crayon GUI fiasco.

How exactly does he fit the Jobs mold? Because both could be jerks? If Forstall was the heir apparent to Jobs why did Jobs give Cook the CEO Job? Why was Forstall fired and why do Cook and the other SVPs seem much happier since he's left? This is what Cook said of Federighi and Ive:

"I mean, they complete each other’s sentences because they really like each other!"

I don't remember that being said about Forstall and anyone. Of course the Jobs fanboys would probably say not being liked is a good thing. :)

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
Is that a small tear welling up in the corner of my eye? And that hot pink lettering, gorgeous.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
Including the title, the word "collaboration" was used 8 times in this article. Think they're trying to tell us something?

Including the title, the word 'the' was used 12 times before the first question! Think they're trying to tell us something? :p :D

juliocoutinho

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2012
Big team collaboration is good?

Steve rated big teams working on a project.

He believed in the spirit of small teams, low bureaucracy, frantic work, intense emotional relations to development and achieve great "real" breakthroughs.

That happened with the Mac (in opposition to Lisa), iPod, iPhone, etc...

I guess this is why OS7 looks so bureaucratic, so blasé. An OS with no tangible improvement.

Ok, one can say, for instance, that multitask is much better now because it is a real one. But who cares? This is again comparing specs to specs, another thing Jobs hated! 3x faster processor on iPhone 5S? Get real ! I don't care if it brings me nothing to my experience.

Ask around what people think about OS7 and none will emphatically praise it.

I see the new Apple going out of Jobs steps, not following it.

I guess the real Jobs heir would have been Forrestal. Difficult to work with? So was Steve. Unable to apologize? So was Steve. Cook just forced him out because he was a competitor... politics. Steve hated it as well.

juliocoutinho

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2012
Jobs was bad at choosing CEOs

How exactly does he fit the Jobs mold? Because both could be jerks? If Forstall was the heir apparent to Jobs why did Jobs give Cook the CEO Job? Why was Forstall fired and why do Cook and the other SVPs seem much happier since he's left?

Jobs also choose John Sculley. Was he right?

I can't say they are happier because of one magazine picture. I think this is an unwise extrapolation.

Anyway, Jobs would not care about their happiness either. Jobs only cared about making outstanding products and customers happy.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
This:

bloomberg_92013.jpg

is a parody of this:

th

I saw the article and instantly saw the Alfred E Neuman reference.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Jobs also choose John Sculley. Was he right?

I can't say they are happier because of one magazine picture. I think this is an unwise extrapolation.

Anyway, Jobs would not care about their happiness either. Jobs only cared about making outstanding products and customers happy.

I'm not making this observation based on one magazine cover. If Forstall was that brilliant and had all these amazing ideas and got along with everyone he'd still be there. And if Federighi or Ive were a problem they would have been fired.

You say Jobs only cared about making outstanding products...are you suggesting Cook and Co. don't? Was every product that Jobs released outstanding? Were MobileMe and Ping outstainding? Is iCloud outstanding? Or Siri? How about maps? Surely a lot of that work was going on while Jobs was still around. Or how about the fact that Apple is still playing catch-up in terms of features compared to other mobile OS's? Why didn't we get control center or better multi-tasking in iOS6? The reason iOS is playing catch-up to Android is mostly because of Jobs and Forstall.

JPLC

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Netherlands
I love this photograph. It shows real people and emotions. Nothing scripted or prepared. Just people. That's what I need to see to keep believing.

artistic

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2013
Wtf ???

COME ON Apple, I thought it's about adding functionality NOT taking it away. I'm a 15+ year user of Apple products and to tell the truth I'm VERY disappointed that I can't respond to a incoming call while on the phone with someone via a text. USED to do that in past IOS.. The new phone book has a bug when adding a custom label to a name it now DOESN'T recognize it being a cell number to text it. Who are the MORONS field testing the new IOS ?? I was hoping not to need to jailbreak my phone, needless to say it looks like I will need to.. COME ON Apple, STOP TAKING FUNCTION AWAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

scottwaugh

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Chicago
Chitika has iOS 7 adoption at over 50% now.
http://chitika.com/insights/2013/ios-7-adoption

Mixpanel has it at over 60%
https://mixpanel.com/trends/#report/ios_7/from_date:-2,to_date:0

That's sure a lot of people upgrading to a supposedly crappy OS.

That's just amazing, more than the entire population of the U.S. upgrading (worldwide of course) in less than a week.

To put it in perspective my friend has a Windows Phone (Nokia) on AT&T and he's still waiting for the GDR2 update (which started flowing back in July) to be released by AT&T...(the next point release is almost out already from Microsoft).

Ahhhh, the upgrade experience is so much nicer with the iPhone.

MRSucks

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2013
In Ive we trust!

Thanks for that magical and gorgeous iO7!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.