Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released a support document detailing a newly implemented Apple TV setup feature that was introduced last week with its Apple TV 6.0 software update.

Users that have a third-generation Apple TV running the 6.0 software can use an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch running iOS 7 to automatically transfer network settings, Apple ID information, and language preferences to the Apple TV, allowing for faster setup. The information exchange is done via Bluetooth by touching the iOS device to the Apple TV, taking advantage of the Bluetooth LE built into all Apple devices after the iPhone 4.

autosetup.jpg
Apple's support article includes a detailed list of instructions on the process:
1. Connect your Apple TV to your television and power and wait until your Apple TV displays the setup screen.

2. Unlock your iOS 7 device and ensure that Bluetooth is enabled. Also ensure that you are connected to the Wi-Fi network you want to use with Apple TV.

3. Touch your iOS device to your Apple TV and wait for the prompts to appear on your iOS device and Apple TV.

4. Enter your Apple ID and password on your iOS device.

5. Choose if you want Apple TV to remember your Apple ID password, and if you want Apple TV to send data to Apple.

6. Your Apple TV will start the configuration process, including connecting to your Wi-Fi network, activating Apple TV, and setting up your iTunes Store account.
Prior to the implementation of the tap setup feature, entering Apple TV information was a tedious process that required connecting a Bluetooth keyboard or using the Apple TV remote to pick and choose letters.

As noted by Apple, the transfer requires an iPhone 4s or later, a third-generation iPad or later, an iPad mini, or a fifth-generation iPod touch. The feature does not work with the iPhone 4 or the iPad 2.

Article Link: Apple Highlights New Apple TV 6.0 'Touch Setup' Feature in Support Document

DarkWinter

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2012
Given that it's Bluetooth, why do the devices need to touch at all?

This isn't far off from the 'bumping' they mocked (though I realise there's a huge difference between this and AirDrop).

Edit: It may be that they're doing something clever with the iOS device's accelerometer readings to initiate the process whilst ensuring that they're within Bluetooth range...?

Last edited:

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
Given that it's Bluetooth, why do the devices need to touch at all?

This isn't far off from the 'bumping' they mocked (though I realise there's a huge difference between this and AirDrop).

They don't need to touch. But touching ensures that the iOS device is close enough to the Apple TV, which is why I assume Apple specifies a touch in the documentation.

critter13

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2010
finally

I lost my apple IR remote and have been waiting for an easier way to setup my :apple:tv at other people's houses

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
lol, tedious...
takes about 4 minutes w the remote.
Either way is a welcome addition'

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I wish they could add a way to do this after the initial setup too, e.g. when you connect the ATV to a different WLAN or change the WPA passkey. Since long keys are a must for good security in WPA, entering them by remote is really tedious.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Not sure why tapping the devices is necessary, but I'd gladly do so instead of using that ridiculous "remote" to select one character at a time.

You don't want next door neighbor to reconfigure your Apple TV. Apple probably could've required user to confirm via Apple TV remote, but I think this is more elegant.

chevy57

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2009
But I have Apple TV 2. I can use Remote app on my iPhone 5. I will wait to get next gen Apple TV (4th gen).

V.K.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Tap...? How do you figure that was implemented?
that was my first thought too as this was not clear from the pic in the article but at the bottom of the setup screen it now explicitly says that this is an option and tells the users what to do to use it.
They don't need to touch. But touching ensures that the iOS device is close enough to the Apple TV, which is why I assume Apple specifies a touch in the documentation.

yep, TechCrunch says that they tested it and it worked without touching from about a foot away. as you say touching is a good way to ensure that the devices are within the necessary range.

Last edited:

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
My guess why Apple didn't put NFC in the iPhone alongside Touch ID. I think between their patent on Bluetooth LE (Apple's idea for proximity payments at retail) and the fact they are doing this inside Apple TV means Apple sees this as the new direction for this tech.

Now to convert all of those NFC terminals to support Bluetooth as well.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
My guess why Apple didn't put NFC in the iPhone alongside Touch ID. I think between their patent on Bluetooth LE (Apple's idea for proximity payments at retail) and the fact they are doing this inside Apple TV means Apple sees this as the new direction for this tech.

Now to convert all of those NFC terminals to support Bluetooth as well.

There was some talk about a year ago regarding the Qualcomm chipset and how it supported some short range WiFi protocols, and how those, and/or some BT variant (kind of like AirDrop with a BT handshake and adhoc WiFi) could be used in place of NFC.

This appears to simply be BT based, but the same underlying business consideration: avoid NFC, go with a new solution.

I see in the near future a BT LE based handshake to a pay terminal that's authorized by a fingerprint scan.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
I see in the near future a BT LE based handshake to a pay terminal that's authorized by a fingerprint scan.

My exact hope, would love to have all my cards digitally stored in Passbook and pay by tap and scan of finger. Not that it is needed, but I loved when my credit card had the tap to pay feature.

Darien Red Sox

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2010
CT, USA
It would be nice if they let you use your universal remote like an old phone where each key was assigned a few letters. My AT&T Uverse box dose this and it is handy for searching for things in there guide.

lakiwi

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2013
Los Angeles
Apple TV's already in use

Is this way of updating able to be used only with setting up a new Apple TV ? What about one that I am already using and needs the upgrade? How do I get it to the "setup" screen?

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2009
"3. Touch your iOS device to your Apple TV and wait for the prompts to appear on your iOS device and Apple TV. "

My guess would be that this should have stated "Touch your Apple TV on your iOS device..." - I guess that's where a nice ATV icon will show up the moment it's detected via BT-LE...

Or is it configured via vibration-alerts and subtile movement detected by the gyroscope chip? (which I don't think the ATV has btw)

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Now I want to wipe my :apple:TV 3 just to see this in action!

Edit: Okay, that was pretty slick.

Reset my :apple:TV, and it gave this prompt. Got my iPhone 4S about an inch from the :apple:TV, and a dialog appeared on the iPhone asking for my iTunes password. A couple "yes or no" type questions on the iPhone, and the :apple:TV was ready to go.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
Ah, that's nice. The ability to save setup configurations in iCloud would also be cool.

Besides game support and App Store for Apple TV, I'm waiting for Apple to let us use the Apple TV as an AirPort Express when it's connected via ethernet. I mean, the hardware is there! And for AirPlay to work to the Apple TV, you shouldn't need to be on an established network at all. It should work with WiFi Direct like the Macs and iPhones do for AirDrop.

rageguy

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2009
Nice. I hope someone will be able to test if WPA2 Enterprise network settings with 802.1X authentication will transfer over. Before this update, the only way to set up this kind of wireless settings require the use of iPhone Configuration Utility, which is very cumbersome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.