Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
The value of the Vizio 47" Smart TV for $648 (after Amazon Prime discount) is hard to pass up.

Versus...

The Samsung non-Smart 46" with 3D (not that I care for it. It just has it) for $647. I'd have to add a Roku box to get the same apps that the Vizio will already have. A Roku 2X for 1080p is another $60 dollars. So all said and done, this will be $700.

~$700 vs ~$650. I'm leaning toward the Vizio. The picture between the two, when I was comparing at Best Buy, were not so different. The Samsung was better, though, but not by very much.

EDIT: Also, the Samsung only offers two HDMI ports, which is a big downer to me. Even though it's a minor inconvenience, I rather not deal with switchers and whatnot. It just feels like I'd have to gobble together different things with the Samsung versus getting everything in one package.

Last edited:

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I would steer clear of the Vizios in my opinion and pay a little more for a Samsung or look into LG.

Maybe its a rare freak of nature but I have had 3 friends with 3 different larger Vizio models(the one you have mentioned included) and they have had board issues and it was on the fritz.

Again, not swaying either way but just providing you some feedback.

Samsung isnt perfect either but my line of thinking is pay a little more now and benefit a lot later. Have had zero issues with the 3 Samsung LEDs I own.

Its a big decision, think wisely!:D

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
So I ended up with the 47" LG Smart TV. It basically came down to the LG having picture quality nearly as good as Samsung, and value as good as Vizio. It was a no brainer.

I may consider getting the newly refreshed Roku 1 for HBO Go, the only app that is missing from the LG Smart TV.

Anyway, big thanks for everyone's input.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.