Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacMilligan

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
Just looked at Clear and Clear+ for iPhone in the app store.

Is there a difference other than $4 :confused:

I believe the only difference is that you get both iPhone and iPad support on Clear+. Personally, I don't see a big need for lists with a fancy interface.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
I somehow managed to avoid the Clear craze way back when, but does Clear do anything useful that the built-in Reminders app doesn't?

Much easier to wield in a grocery store. And, to be frank, the iOS 7 version is much easier to handle. You can always grip the panel and swipe it off screen. The physics is better. In the iOS 6 app, sometimes you just couldn't get a to-do panel under touch control.

Supacon

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2011
Canada
I was considering buying this app this morning as I wanted the iPad support, although I did think it was a bit crummy that they weren't going to update the existing app which wasn't even that old.

Now they have increased the price another $2, however, so it just hit the "Too Expensive" point for me to consider now. I guess I'll just stick with the old one since they will give it some love.

macachia

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2007
Much easier to wield in a grocery store. And, to be frank, the iOS 7 version is much easier to handle. You can always grip the panel and swipe it off screen. The physics is better. In the iOS 6 app, sometimes you just couldn't get a to-do panel under touch control.

fair enough although there's no reason why they couldn't have updated the first app to ios7 immediately and just release clear for iPad (instead of all this hassle)

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
Reeder

Lets hope that the Reeder app developer will follow suit or at least give us a bug fixes for his previous version app. He need to learn to make his customers happy then I would be glad to upgrade to a Reeder 2. If he keeps his way of thinking of ripping off his customers and neglecting, then I felt no assurance in the future and it's hard to be a loyal customer.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
I'm not gonna lie, when I saw Clear in the app store and that I hadn't paid for it, I thought there was an error with the app store, upon closer inspection all I could really take away was that I needed to pay again to receive thinner fonts and a slightly changed icon?

I love Clear, but this is exactly what happens when you make minimalist software, unless you add in a bunch of genuinely evolutionary features it just looks like you're money grabbing.

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
OMG get over this app MR!!!

I get it... you made it and want to promote it. Wow, a 'to do' list where things up the top are red. Who woulda thunk?

There's no controversy either... all purely artificial.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
This solves nothing - I have the original clear on my iPhone, but if I want it on my iPad I need Clear+, which will also work on my iPhone. Made a dumb move even worse. For your next "reversal", might I suggest getting rid of Clear+ and applying its changes to the original Clear like you should have done in the first place! :mad:

There are three things you have to be aware of. One, the developer gets nothing from you anymore once you paid for the app. In other words, the price you paid has to cover both initial and further investments of the app's development. Second, you don't have any claim on getting updates either. Developers need to be paid too to deliver updates, but they are getting nothing from you anymore. Third, and related, the original app had no iPad support and you accordingly never paid for it. The fact that universal apps do exist, does not give you any claim on additional features if the developer never offered those to you. If you want iPad support, you have to buy Clear+, simple.

The heart of the problem, in my judgment, is the rigidity of the App Store. Developers have no easy way to market their apps beyond the tools Apple offers. That is: no upgrade pricing and no partial pricing (e.g. to pay and get only iPhone support of a universal app). Instead developers have to make a choice between offering the update for free, raising the price, offering a completely new app, or making something work with in-app purchases. Why not give developers the flexibility they need? Who is Apple to decide how developers can market their apps?

iMatamoros

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2013
There are three things you have to be aware of. One, the developer gets nothing from you anymore once you paid for the app. In other words, the price you paid has to cover both initial and further investments of the app's development. Second, you don't have any claim on getting updates either. Developers need to be paid too to deliver updates, but they are getting nothing from you anymore. Third, and related, the original app had no iPad support and you accordingly never paid for it. The fact that universal apps do exist, does not give you any claim on additional features if the developer never offered those to you. If you want iPad support, you have to buy Clear+, simple.

The heart of the problem, in my judgment, is the rigidity of the App Store. Developers have no easy way to market their apps beyond the tools Apple offers. That is: no upgrade pricing and no partial pricing (e.g. to pay and get only iPhone support of a universal app). Instead developers have to make a choice between offering the update for free, raising the price, offering a completely new app, or making something work with in-app purchases. Why not give developers the flexibility they need? Who is Apple to decide how developers can market their apps?

I remember back about 8 months or so they said in the description from one of the updates that ipad support was coming... So I thought ipad support would be added to the existing app, they never said something like "New ipad app coming" so when I herd that they were going to be charging for an universal app and stop support to the original I also felt cheated and mad about it.

RabbitLuvr

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011
Kansas City
I assumed this was a way to try to get money from people who got Clear for free as a Starbucks Pick of the Week.

I downloaded it from Starbucks, played around with it for a bit, then decided it didn't do anything I couldn't already do with other apps. Shrug.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.