Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paul1993

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2013
Anyone ever tried to mod you macbook? I mean not just adding a little piece of coloured paper behind the apple log to change it's colour... :rolleyes:

I was wondering for ventilation mods, video card upgrades.

I would love to see a vent mod.
Better cooling just for the funzzies. Anyone ever found something interesting?
Like water cooling or something?

Btw, I was wondering, does the back cover of a retina display macbook pro (I guess 15 inch?) go on the back of an normal macbook pro early 2011 15 inch?

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
LOL Video card upgrade?
You cant even do any of that on a MBP.
Maybe eGPU but the cost performance is crap.

All you can do is add RAM, SSD, and change ODD to a optibay.

The Unseen

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2012
Naples, Italy
I am trying to find a solution to keep my MacBook Pro cooler. I don't want to know if this gives more lifetime to my Mac, I want to do it. Reapplying the termal paste is not a real "mod", but doing this I've seen temperatures going down especially under heavy load. Yesterday I tried to position a TEC (termo electric cell) in a heat sink under the Mac, and it was really effective during video gaming, but for some reason it suddenly stop functioning after half an hour.
I don't think to mod the internal heat sink only beacause I don't want to lose the portability, but it would be interesting.
I am also thinking to color my Mac with Duracoat, but I haven't had the time to do it.

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
The laptop is just a tool man. If it works well, leave it alone. :rolleyes:

Yeah, this could be fun I guess but I rather play on it then work on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.