Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mneblett

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
I currently have a 24" BenQ 241W monitor, 16x10, 1920x1200 -- works out to about 94 dpi.

I'm considering a Thunderbolt display, which at 27", 16x9, 2560x1440 -- works out at about 108 dpi.

As I cannot place them side-by-side, I was hoping to get some comments from those with experience with different resolutions as to whether the difference between 94 dpi and 108dpi would be noticeable (at normal desktop viewing distance -- which in my home office is about 28" from the screen) -- in other words, whether it would be worth the bother to pick up a TBD to sit next to my BenQ at home to make a final judgment.

Thanks!

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Are you looking to replace the BenQ or use it and the TBD together?

As a replacement the DPI is in the same ballpark so I'd say you will maybe notice an improvement there, of course the extra desktop space will be great.

If you want to use both together, I find the DPI difference to be a little annoying. When you drag a window from one to the other it'll change size, and anything spanning the gap won't line up well. Not impossible to deal with, but a little irritating.

mneblett

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
Thanks for the response -- originally, I was looking at replacing the BenQ, but your comment has made me think about dual screens :D

Your comments are helpful. Given the relatively small difference, I believe I'll wait to see whether the rumors of a coming 4K TBD turn out to be true in a couple weeks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.