Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has been hit with a judgment for ¥330 million ($3.3 million) in a Japanese court case over infringement of a patent by the company's click wheel system used on a number of past iPod models and the current iPod classic, reports Dow Jones Business News.
The Tokyo District Court on Thursday ordered Apple Inc. ( AAPL ) to pay Y330 million in damages to Japanese inventor Norihiko Saito in a patent infringement case involving the U.S. firm's iPod music player, Kyodo News reported.

The patent that Mr. Saito's company applied for in 1998 covers a technology for the Click Wheel controller that Apple has adopted for the music player in Japan since 2004, Presiding Judge Teruhisa Takano said in the ruling.
ipod_classic_views.jpg
Saito had filed an injunction request against Apple back in 2007, and as settlement negotiations failed to result in any agreement, he eventually increased his damages request to ¥10 billion ($101 million). The court ruled, however, that Apple's infringement warranted the much smaller judgment.

Article Link: Apple Ordered to Pay $3.3 Million in Japanese Lawsuit Over iPod Click Wheel Patent

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
Tim probably laughed at this verdict.

Sidenote: see attached... wut?!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-09-26 at 22.47.10.png
    Screen Shot 2013-09-26 at 22.47.10.png
    16.6 KB · Views: 1,757

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I love the comments about how this is pocket change to Apple. While true - it's still a win for the plaintiff. But it seems people are fine with Apple violating patents and how insignificant any judgement is but when it comes to Apple suing others for their patents every other company is evil for violating them.

The hypocrisy is laughable.

bergert

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2008
hypocrisy is yours

I love the comments about how this is pocket change to Apple. While true - it's still a win for the plaintiff. But it seems people are fine with Apple violating patents and how insignificant any judgement is but when it comes to Apple suing others for their patents every other company is evil for violating them.

It is not fine to ask $100 million for one small patent on something basic. An iPhone uses more than 100 patents on GSM/4G/Blutooth/WiFi alone. Even Apple's pockets aren't that deep - they'd have to raise prices.

If they had asked a more reasonable amount - Apple usually pays and this would not even be news.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
It is not fine to ask $100 million for one small patent on something basic. An iPhone uses more than 100 patents on GSM/4G/Blutooth/WiFi alone. Even Apple's pockets aren't that deep - they'd have to raise prices.

If they had asked a more reasonable amount - Apple usually pays and this would not even be news.

No hypocrisy of mine. Where is mine?

And where is evidence that Apple usually pays. Before? Most of the stories are about Apple (and others) having to go through litigation for refusing to pay patent fees.

And who are you (or I) to judge how much or how little a patent is worth. Isn't that why there are courts? If a patent is integral - then isn't it worth more than something that's a "throw away?"

It's clear the judge believed the amount was exorbitant here. Which is great for Apple.

You clearly missed the overarching comment of mine. It's cool.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
We don't know the details of this case. This patent is not for the click wheel itself but for some component of it. It must not be all that critical if the damages awarded by the judge came down from $101 million to $3.3 million, especially considering how many click wheel devices were sold.

junior

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2003
We don't know the details of this case. This patent is not for the click wheel itself but for some component of it. It must not be all that critical if the damages awarded by the judge came down from $101 million to $3.3 million, especially considering how many click wheel devices were sold.

Damages awarded in court in Japan tend to be tiny.
If it was in an american court I'd imagine Apple would have happily settled with the company for ten times that amount.
There's never much point in suing people over here due to the meagre amount rewarded.

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently

you traitor :D

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Why sue now and not in 2001 or whatever when the click wheel was debuted by apple.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
something basic? the click-wheel is the only way to use the device. get your head out.......

Read it again. It doesn't say the Japanese company patented the click wheel; it says the compnay patented a technology used in the click wheel. The click wheel might use a hundred different technologies... you can't tell from the article how prominent this specific one was.

----------

I'm with you on the "evil" part. But unless you've been involved with development of a complex product, you might not realize that it is almost impossible to develop a complex product without inadvertently violating some existing patent.

ufwa

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2011
Why sue now and not in 2001 or whatever when the click wheel was debuted by apple.

The click wheel was introduced for Japan in 2004. It was announced in 2003 for the US.

He didn't just sue now. Its been in court since 2007.

He has also attempted to negotiate(not stated whether its part of court ordered or voluntary) with Apple. So it is possible he may have attempted to negotiate before even lodging a complaint.

FirstNTenderbit

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
Atlanta

Either MR updated the article or you chose to ignore this because it didn't fit your narrrative:

Saito had filed an injunction request against Apple back in 2007, and as settlement negotiations failed to result in any agreement, he eventually increased his damages request to ¥10 billion ($101 million). The court ruled, however, that Apple's infringement warranted the much smaller judgment.

Apparently he did ask for less initially. How much less I have no idea.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011

are you talking about fanboism?

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
If samsung had done the same people would be all over the koreans, now "its pocket change so who cares"

MaSx

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2010

I salute you!

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Just another unsuccessful patent troll trying to get his blood out of his turnip.

Its not a troll since the man actually did invent it.
He first offered to work with Apple but Apple rejected him and just stole the idea.
Its like you working your ass off but someone else just takes your payment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.