Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
But... That's what apple is doing, isn't it? :confused:

Mind blowing, eh? ISTM that you are having difficulty understanding the things I have said. Given that I have been clear and consistent, I have to wonder if your confusion stems from untrue premises that you don't realize you harbor.

92jlee

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2009
Cardiff, Wales, UK
First bring in the bulldozers and plow down what was a beautiful forest. Cut down all nearby trees, and level the earth like a billiard table. No animals, no birds, no nature allowed! And NO FARMING either! Wasn't some of that once a farm?? Next mine a mountain of sand, iron ore, bauxite and drill a whole lot of oil and natural gas wells. Build a huge rock crusher, several conveyer belt systems a few deep water ports, some ships, etc.; using huge trucks get mined raw ore to crusher and using massive electricity turn to slurry and transport to smelting plant very far away and using copious amounts of electricity and natural gas forge into ingots. Pipeline oil and natural gas to refinery to crack into components for to plastic and resins and bitumen. Clear cut and level more land and build factory (even bigger than Apples center) to build solar panels. Use lots and lots of electricity, refined metal ingots, plastics, and resins to build solar panels. Subsidize factory, workers, and panels copiously with tax payer dollars as they wouldn't exist without it. Pray for no bankruptcy!!! Using trucks ship to North Carolina on roads made of bitumen (oil) to clear cutting site. Set up on what was once "pristine" Bambi forest and pray for sun. Replace panels as they fail or run out of conversion power. Fly in airplane and take picture from 500' of what was once a beautiful forest now non existent now a gleaming synthetic man made field of glass and metal and plastic, sponsoring plenty of erosion. Sit back, feel good.

So many people don't understand what damage man really causes. There will be ignorant people and children who tell you to shut up but this is a great post.

mbh

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
It would be a misleading way of misrepresenting a fuel cell.

Why is that? They run on hydrogen or hydrocarbons like natural gas.

Apple has been pretty specific about where their fuel cell gas will be coming from. I've never seen them say they're using "clean hydrogen". Have you? If so, where?

thasan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Germany
Mind blowing, eh? ISTM that you are having difficulty understanding the things I have said. Given that I have been clear and consistent, I have to wonder if your confusion stems from untrue premises that you don't realize you harbor.

Thank you for the enlightenment :rolleyes:

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Why is that? They run on hydrogen or hydrocarbons like natural gas.

Apple has been pretty specific about where their fuel cell gas will be coming from. I've never seen them say they're using "clean hydrogen". Have you? If so, where?

So you agree that Apple has said that the fuel cells will run on hydrocarbons.

So why don't you agree that it's a lie for Apple to show a graphic that says that they run on hydrogen?

mbh

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
So you agree that Apple has said that the fuel cells will run on hydrocarbons.

So why don't you agree that it's a lie for Apple to show a graphic that says that they run on hydrogen?

That's your entire complaint? That's your Grand Apple Lie? That they used an iconic representation of a fuel cell that shows H2, rather than the chemical compound for whatever hydrocarbon they're actually using?

Get a life.

zhenlek

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2012
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Bloomberg notes that Apple has posted the 2012 update of its environmental policy pages, noting that the company has now achieved 100% renewable energy usage at all of its data centers. On a worldwide basis, the company's corporate facilities are now running on 75% renewable energy, up from 35% just two years ago.The move to 100% renewable energy for its data centers represents the completion of a commitment the company made last May to address criticism from Greenpeace over its energy usage. While Greenpeace's ratings were based on erroneous calculations and assumptions, Apple took the opportunity to make more public statements about its energy usage and plans.

YouTube: video
Apple estimates that its carbon footprint for 2012 included 30.9 million metric tons of greenhouse gas emissions, with 98% of that total directly related to the life cycles of its products. The total represents a 34% increase over the company's 2011 estimates, but Apple notes that recent increases have been driven primarily by growth in its sales, with emissions per dollar of revenue decreasing by 21.5% from 2008 to 2012.

Article Link: Apple's Data Centers Now Running on 100% Renewable Energy, Corporate Facilities at 75%

Oh man I cringed when I saw the amount of land bulldozed for that solar panels, while I'm all for wind and solar, just how much of land space should be level out for energy consumption before we draw the line?

At least geothermal or even nuclear had a much lower profile

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.