Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today added a new page to its website featuring reviews of the new iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c from a number of prominent publications and sites. Carrying the tagline "It seems we've given people a lot to talk about," the review page is currently being featured on Apple's main iPhone page.

iphone_reviews_feature.jpg
The feature page contains quotes from and links to reviews from The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, Time, CNET, USA Today, Esquire, Engadget, Daring Fireball, AnandTech, and TechCrunch. Most of the quoted and linked reviews cover the iPhone 5s, although several address the lower-cost iPhone 5c as well.

Most of those reviews for the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c were published on Tuesday, September 17, several days before the devices launched to the public. Apple introduced the devices at a September 10 media event, and provided review units to several publications in advance of the public release, allowing them to publish their reviews in a coordinated release late on the 17th.

Article Link: Apple Highlighting iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c Reviews by Tech and Mainstream Press

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
It's great they are getting positive feedback, despite this being a low key update for those wanting bigger screens, and other more eye candy features to be added. Will have to wait for 2014 to see what Apple does.

Just wished Apple would have built more of these units before the official launch. Some stores only receiving small amounts of stock, only once this week is quite poor. Hard for customers to be amped about the amazing products, if they can't get their hands on them.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
It's great they are getting positive feedback, despite this being a low key update for those wanting bigger screens, and other more eye candy features to be added. Will have to wait for 2014 to see what Apple does.

Just wished Apple would have built more of these units before the official launch. Some stores only receiving small amounts of stock, only once this week is quite poor. Hard for customers to be amped about the amazing products, if they can't get their hands on them.

Well, they sold them as quickly as they could make them. It was the same last year. There's only so many they can make at a time. I'm sure they'd rather have twice as many on hand to strike while the iron is hot.

Alumeenium

macrumors regular
May 15, 2013
and $100 cheaper it would have been "The ONLY Smartphone" because it OWNS the market... too bad they priced it like an iPhone LISA

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
They put a section up on their iPhone page but its not really in your face. I probably would never have caught it if MR didn't post about it.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Has Apple made a big deal of press reviews before this? It just seems really strange for them to prop up the press reviews instead of letting the products speak for themselves.

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
millions and millions served...

9 million sold within 3 days?! Even Android fans have got to recognized that feat for what it is: amazing!!! :apple:

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
Where are the naysayers now?

Apple would never produce a gold one.
Apple will never produce a plastic one.
Apple would never come out with those colors.
Apple priced the 5c too much.
Apple needs a larger screen.
Apple cannot innovate.
Apple is doomed.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
The 5S is not only the best "S" upgrade to date...it's the best overall iPhone to date. It is simply beautiful, and amazing. I for one did not expect to be this thrilled with the 5S...But I am, and then some. And the FP sensor...Well, it's simply, incredibly perfect.

verpeiler

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2013
Munich, Germany
Where are the naysayers now?

Apple would never produce a gold one.
Apple will never produce a plastic one.
Apple would never come out with those colors.
Apple priced the 5c too much.
Apple needs a larger screen.
Apple cannot innovate.
Apple is doomed.

Well.. I see 2 points on your list that are true ;-)

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
I love mine. Fast, fast, fast!

I find little new things to like about it every day, like the chat bubbles in messages having bouncy momentum physics applied to them when you scroll. Loving details. :)

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
It may be the best smartphone on the market right now...but there is almost no reason to upgrade if you have a 4S or 5 already...unless you want a fingerprint reader.

Never had an iPhone? Sure...iPhones are very nice. I love my 4S 64GB. I really was looking for a reason(s) to upgrade to the 5S (the super-slightly larger screen which was introduced on the 5 didn't cut it for me) but no reasons appeared.

What would have made me happier (outside of iOS software improvements) and purchased an upgrade?...

-much better camera improvement
-larger storage options as well as replacing the 16GB option with 32GB
-USB 3.0 connectivity so I don't spend forever (on USB 2.0) transferring tons of content
-jaw-dropping Siri functionality/improvements thanks to newer CPU/iOS
-direct device-to-device Airplay support so I don't have to go through my router/network.

On a side note, I have seen iOS 7.0 on a friend's iPhone 5. YUCK! The whole style/colors is horrific, Calendar is all new look and feel, ditto for Notepad...just terrible from a UI perspective IMO. Oh, and she hates it too...she's gonna try to restore a backup.

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
The Verge: "...the 5S is “the most forward-thinking iPhone yet” and “the best smartphone in the world.”

(complete line: Apple says the 5S is “the most forward-thinking iPhone yet” and “the best smartphone in the world.”)

adm58

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2007
the 5s gold. best phone money can't buy right now

Or the best phone money *can't* buy right now.

I wonder if the shortages are because they are having trouble making the gold ones, or if they just hugely underestimated the demand for that color.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Well, they sold them as quickly as they could make them. It was the same last year. There's only so many they can make at a time. I'm sure they'd rather have twice as many on hand to strike while the iron is hot.

It may just be personal preception, however this launch doesn't feel as smooth, or as plentiful as previous years.

I still think the inventory was a bit thin to begin with. No Preorders meant that people who wanted to order online had to do it at Midnight in order to have had it ship by now. Many people who did go that route, are still waiting for delivery for their device. It is not hard to predict that the lack of pre-orders would also push buyers into the retail stores in order for them to have an early copy of the 5S.

I am personally waiting until the hype dies down a bit, as I am fine running my existing iPhone. That said, it is hard to ignore the many threads on this topic within the iPhone forum here on MacRumors, and on various other tech sites / Podcasts.

rolfbert

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
EU
I dont like that one of the quotes they have chosen claims the iphone had the best camera out of all phones, when that is objectively wrong.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Did Apple do promotion like this before? Just for interest.

Usually on a keynote, where they would quotes some of media reviews.

This is kinda new (on apple site), but I like it so far. It's quite a personal touch and gives a sense of apple being the underdog, imo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.