Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oldgeezer

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2012
Maryland
I pack a Manfrotto backpack with lots of goodies. A Manfrotto tripod and monopod, sync cord, wireless remote, wired remote, a set of filters for each lens filter size, extra batteries, extra SD cards, sensor cleaning bulb, lens cleaning kit, and all my chargers. I put all the small stuff in two lowepro compact camera cases to keep them from rattling around the backpack.

Completely loaded, with my D7000, three lenses, and SB-910, plus all the above it weighs in at about 21 pounds.

The nice part about the Manfrotto backpack is that it all fits inside -- no tripods strapped to the back.

All this is way too heavy to carry all the time so I use a smaller backpack as a day pack when shooting.

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
I've often been in situations where I'm traveling in back country (high on Mauna Kea, in Hawai'i) in a 4WD, very rough, windy, dusty, the gear needs protection from dust and shock, and it has to be easily available in case I need to shoot something quickly.

I've been happy with my Thinktank and Domke bags -- no complaint there, but they weren't very useful in these vehicular situations.

I've always been a Pelican fan, but then I found these in the Porta-Brace line:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...600F_PB_2600F_Safeguard_Field_Production.html

They come in different sizes.

It's just another high-quality hard case and I wouldn't be mentioning this at all except for the way I have mine prepped. I have it cut out so that there's a space for each of my lenses with a body attached. It's always the same D800 body, but what makes it work for me is that when I've finished at one location and am ready to move, I open the case and drop in whatever combo I have mounted -- into its own fitted space -- and then go crashing on.

The case will have the D800, the 70-200, the 28-300, and the 14-24, and a few accessories.

Bottom line is that there's always a lens mounted, but the each lens/body combo is always in its own fitted space, no matter what the lens is. This would be foolishly wasteful if space was tight or the gear had to be carried (because it requires a larger case), but it's in or near the vehicle always.

The Porta-Brace hard case line is pretty nice and (for anybody who might not know) Porta-Brace is a well-respected manufacturer.

ocabj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
If we want to talk about bags, I'm currently using a Think Tank Photo Streetwalker Pro backpack and a Think Tank Photo Airport Navigator wheeled bag:

The Streetwalker Pro is a solid backpack whereas I use the Airport Navigator when I need to lug a little more in a kit and with the convenience of wheels.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
I've quickly learned that this is one expensive hobby. I recently bought these:

Attachments

• __.png
    __.png
    56.8 KB · Views: 215

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
I recently purchased the RS-W1 women's Blackrapid camera strap... and it's driving me nuts. I think I just got too used to having my camera slung on one shoulder with the factory strap. It was more comfortable for long hikes, but annoying because it screws into the hole for the tripod.

Any suggestions for a replacement?

@Melissa, I just bought the Curve RS-7 with the Bert extender. I am the opposite, i could not stand the factory strap! Did you look at the replacement fastener that fits the Manfrotto quick release plate? Haven't purchased it yet but will shortly. ~Joe

Like Joe, I cannot stand the factory strap. Especially in this Florida heat. The BlackRapid strap is awesome. I can't believe I waited as long as I did. As for the tripod dilemma, and assuming you use a Manfrotto RC2 release plate, this adapter should fix that. I bought mine the same day I got the strap and it works great. The only thing I don't like is that you have to untether the camera when going on the tripod but at least you can keep the tripod plate screwed on to your camera at all times. I got mine at a local camera store and there were two types of BlackRapid tripod adapters, so you might want to do some research if you're using something other than a Manfrotto RC2 release plate.

Attachments

• Photo Aug 20, 3 32 37 PM.jpg
    Photo Aug 20, 3 32 37 PM.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 284

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
Out of interest what made you choose the wired shutter release over the wireless version (assuming your camera supports it).

I'd thought about getting a wireless one but I shoot fireworks quite often and because they're timed and bursts come and go very quickly, I need to be able to release the shutter instantly. My concern with a wireless remote was finding myself missing out on shots because of it potentially not making contact with the IR sensors on the camera at the exact moment I want to release the shutter. I've read some reviews where people said to have had occasional problems with that so I just decided to get a wired one. Granted, that mostly depends on your camera body, not so much on the remote itself, but I didn't want to chance it.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I'd thought about getting a wireless one but I shoot fireworks quite often and because they're timed and bursts come and go very quickly, I need to be able to release the shutter instantly. My concern with a wireless remote was finding myself missing out on shots because of it potentially not making contact with the IR sensors on the camera at the exact moment I want to release the shutter. I've read some reviews where people said to have had occasional problems with that so I just decided to get a wired one. Granted, that mostly depends on your camera body, not so much on the remote itself, but I didn't want to chance it.

Understood. I got the wireless one the other week, but haven't used it yet. My wife is making me wait until my birthday to 'give' me the tripod I bought for myself! I'll let you know how it goes.

ocabj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
My concern with a wireless remote was finding myself missing out on shots because of it potentially not making contact with the IR sensors on the camera at the exact moment I want to release the shutter.

I just hook up a motor drive cable from a PocketWizard to the camera body and do remote shutter release using PocketWizards (RF).

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Suggested on here by someone. Got it Wednesday, but been really busy. Hopefully get a chance to start reading it over the weekend.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 208

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
On my hunt for rain covers I came across this seller on eBay who looked well priced.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Camera-ra...990?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c29f90566

When I asked him if it would work well with my set up, I got this reply:

Sorry about the delay, but really busy..
In answer to your question... Your 18-55 lens is to small for our covers to be effective, so we dont make them for this lens. To be honest I think you will find the 70-200 cover will be of little use on the small lens.
Sorry we cant be of more help, but its better to be honest and not make a sale, than send one to a disappointed customer.
With best regards,
Phill

I thought it was good to find somebody with a bit of integrity rather than just looking to make a quick buck.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Got some filters today. Imagine my disappointment when my wife sent me this text.
Your Lenses have arrived!
Lenses? She must have got me it for our wedding anniversary as a surprise! I wonder what she got? But no it was just the cheap filters I ordered. UV, Circular Polarisation and Florescent. Not sure I'll use that last one much.
Came in a nice little case as well which for about £15 is not bad. I'll give them a go at the weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_1285.JPG
    IMG_1285.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 209

oldgeezer

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2012
Maryland
My wife bought me this CarrySafe strap before our trip to France. It's not slash able so thieves can't slash and run, it doesn't have any brand identity (although a Nikon stands out all on its own), and it's really much more comfortable than the Nikon strap that comes with the camera. Available from TravelSmith, among others.

Attachments

• 3990_170_PD061BK_CarrySafe-100.jpg
    3990_170_PD061BK_CarrySafe-100.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 795

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
My wife bought me this CarrySafe strap before our trip to France. It's not slash able so thieves can't slash and run, it doesn't have any brand identity (although a Nikon stands out all on its own), and it's really much more comfortable than the Nikon strap that comes with the camera. Available from TravelSmith, among others.

Looks nice. The stock one is fine for me at the moment, but I just have a little camera and lens. Now my mate from work borrowed a 600 mm Nikon Lens for his D3S on the weekend. He walked around Silverstone and has been in agony ever since.

Melizard

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
Canada/Germany
I'm pretty slow to buy new gear, I generally will have something in mind for a few months before I can decide if it's something I want to invest in. These days I'm thinking about getting a good flash for my D5000. Does anybody have any suggestions for a good starter flash? My budget is flexible. I've had trouble finding a good resource to compare my options so a point in the right direction would also be appreciated! :)

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
ImageAnybody had any experience using Rain covers? Not sure if I need one or not? I'm not thinking of going out in the pouring rain, just wondering if when I'm out and it starts with a few drops do you bother or just carry on regardless and give it a good wipe afterwards?
Also I was a bit surprised at the cost!

I use a bin bag if it's totally bad rain and i'm not moving around (ie on a tripod for hours). I also use ziplock freezer bags for my lights. About 10€ gets me about two years worth if i dry them at home. It's pretty cheap.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
I'm pretty slow to buy new gear, I generally will have something in mind for a few months before I can decide if it's something I want to invest in. These days I'm thinking about getting a good flash for my D5000. Does anybody have any suggestions for a good starter flash? My budget is flexible. I've had trouble finding a good resource to compare my options so a point in the right direction would also be appreciated! :)

Look at stuff from Yongnuo.

I just looked at the stuff in Canons flash line up, decided what I would like, then found the equivalent in Yongnuo's line up.

It took a lot of reading reviews (generally I find general public reviews more useful than 'official' reviews, as long as you can sort the wheat from the chaff that is).

I was um-ing and ar-ing (don't really know how to spell that!) about buying 'cheap'... but they make great flashes. Ended up going with YN560 II.

I now I have 5 of them. Use them with Yongnuo triggers and receivers. Pretty good set up. The cheapness is just a pleasant side effect.

I shoot Canon, but I'm sure it's the same with Nikon. Also I only use them in manual off camera. Not sure how compatible they are with the on camera auto flash shiz. Just research a bit and see what you reckon.

Joe.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I use a bin bag if it's totally bad rain and i'm not moving around (ie on a tripod for hours). I also use ziplock freezer bags for my lights. About 10€ gets me about two years worth if i dry them at home. It's pretty cheap.

So do you cut a hole for the lens? Next time you are out in the rain, could you take a picture?

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
So do you cut a hole for the lens? Next time you are out in the rain, could you take a picture?

no just drape it over the camera, not the whole lens, I leave it just short of the end of the hood. if its windy a bit of tape holds it in place..
Was doing it last night actually. I only do it when Im using a tripod, My stuffs weather sealed, but when its hammering it down and its just sat there i feel i've got to use something. So i set up, and use a remote to shoot. It works perfectly. and like I said pretty cheap. I cut hole in the bags for the strobes if i need direct light though.
If im shooting hand held, then whatever. it gets wet!
I suspect you think I was being sarcastic in my original post, but I wasn't.
I'm sure you don't really want a picture of my camera draped in a bin bag do you??
Joe.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
no just drape it over the camera, not the whole lens, I leave it just short of the end of the hood. if its windy a bit of tape holds it in place..
Was doing it last night actually. I only do it when Im using a tripod, My stuffs weather sealed, but when its hammering it down and its just sat there i feel i've got to use something. So i set up, and use a remote to shoot. It works perfectly. and like I said pretty cheap. I cut hole in the bags for the strobes if i need direct light though.
If im shooting hand held, then whatever. it gets wet!
I suspect you think I was being sarcastic in my original post, but I wasn't.
I'm sure you don't really want a picture of my camera draped in a bin bag do you??
Joe.

No I didn't think you were being sarcastic. I was trying to picture in my head how it would work. I think I'll have a play in the dry. My stuff isn't weather sealed so I need to be a little careful.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
No I didn't think you were being sarcastic. I was trying to picture in my head how it would work. I think I'll have a play in the dry. My stuff isn't weather sealed so I need to be a little careful.

Ah ok, well picture the camera on your tripod, (when you're allowed to use it ;) ) get the bin bag and open it out and put it over the top of the set up. Leave the edge just at the top of the hood, and let the rest drape down. I'm normally using a long lens, so I don't know if that makes things easier or not. If it's windy, I use a bit of tape to hold it on. If i think I'll take a picture next time.

On a side note.. Things for your camera bag.. Bin bags (for this mentioned use, and to sit on, and I have even had a model using one as a sort of coat) freezer bags for the same but with lights, and tape. I use just normal masking tape. seems to work in the wet, and also you can write on it and use it to label stuff.

Joe.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
Another bag for the forum.

As my old Lowe Pro Mini Trekker is falling to bits (strap going and I managed to smash the belt clip in the car's boot (trunk) lid. So as I was near a rather wonderful camera shop in Brixham (Mifsuds) I treated myself to a Lowe Pro Runner 300AW - it's much the same bag, but with the All Weather cover.

steveash

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
UK
Anybody used polaroid macro filters?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Polaroid-Macro-Close-Piece-Filter/dp/B003UI0194/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I don't know if these or some cheap extension tubes will give me the best macro images on a budget? Anybody care to offer an opinion?

I'd go for extension tubes because they don't put any more glass between you and the subject. A macro 'filter' is just an extra magnifying lens element which is likely to add distortion and aberrations to your image. Extension tubes alternatively, allow you to focus at a closer distance to reduce the field of view. They will work with all your lenses and not just one filter size.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.