Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Evernote and Adonit today announced a partnership that will see the latter producing the new Jot Script Evernote Edition Stylus, which has a tip that measures just 1.9mm. The large, inaccurate tip of current capacitive styluses is a common complaint that the Jot Script aims to overcome.

The stylus uses Adonit's newly developed Pixelpoint technology, which utilizes the accelerometer, Bluetooth, and Adonit's SDK to communicate the location of the stylus tip to compatible apps like Evernote's Penultimate.

jot.jpg
In a first for any active stylus, Penultimate's digital inking features pair with Adonit's Bluetooth-enabled Pixelpoint technology for accuracy previously unattainable on any touch screen. With Penultimate's new Zoom feature, the interaction between app and stylus becomes dynamic. As the Jot Script's fine tip approaches the screen, Penultimate responds by enlarging the writing space for better visual feedback. And as the user writes, the digital paper drifts along with them mimicking the natural feeling of handwriting.
In addition to a fine point, the Jot Script features a metal finish, ribbed grip, and a weighted hand balance designed for taking notes. It is powered by a standard AAA battery and uses Bluetooth 4.0 to connect to iPads and iPhones. It is compatible with the third-generation iPad and later, the iPad mini, and the iPhone 5 and later.

The Jot Script can be pre-ordered from either Evernote or Adonit for $74.95 and has an estimated ship time of three to four weeks.

Evernote has also introduced a number of other products in its Evernote Market, including backpacks, scanners, t-shirts, and other accessories.

Article Link: Evernote Teams Up With Adonit for Fine-Point Bluetooth Stylus

lewisd25

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Is this exclusive to Penultimate only? Adonit needs to open up their SDK to other developers, or this stylus will flop.

Adonit Jot Script + Notability = WIN

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
This is going to be an AWESOME Christmas present for the hubby! Also wondering what apps will support this!

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
If this works well and more apps support the same approach soon it will be fantastic.

Bhatu

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2013
Not so ergonomic!

I think they should make the grip a little thin, like a pen or pencil. Its difficult to hold a thick stylus and write, not so ergonomic I say!

lewisd25

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
It looks like the Jot Script is the successor to the Jot Touch, and the Jot Script homepage links to the Jot Touch's app list...but sadly Notability still isn't listed.

goinskiing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Meridian, ID
iPad + S-Pen would be the ultimate win, would kill the galaxy note series in one fell swoop (coming from a Galaxy Note 8.0 user). This however looks to be the next best thing, would love to see it compared to the S-Pen in terms of accuracy and lag. If it's only usable in Evernote, that'd be fine by me, though it never hurts to have added functionality.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Who wants a stylus!?

God gave us 10 styluses—let’s not invent another.

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
I want this so bad. Get that SDK to all th art apps on iphone and ipad.

I love art and the iphone an ipad are both great for creating wonderful pices but they have had blatant restrictions that notmal capactive pens and fingers are large and cumberson and restrict thw detail you can gove to a piece.

This if opened up will be an amazing seller as it will truly allow the iPad to become the canvas Apple claimed it to be.

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
Wow! Do want! I know they are pushing this for writing notes, but I'm guessing it'll work just as well for painting? It'll be like cheap Cintiq, without pressure sensitivity (well, well you consider I already have the iPad)

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I'd love this too. I've mostly replaced pen and paper with a Samsung Note 8, but if I could do the same thing with an iPad - and without it picking up wrist input - I'd be all over it in a New York minute.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Wow! Do want! I know they are pushing this for writing notes, but I'm guessing it'll work just as well for painting? It'll be like cheap Cintiq, without pressure sensitivity (well, well you consider I already have the iPad)
This. So true.

And really, if somebody shipped a relatively fine-point bluetooth stylus with some degree of pressure sensitivity, the 10" iPad would be basically the ultimate budget art tool. Heck, I'd probably buy one for the artist who does work for me just to increase his output.

RVijay007

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2010
The Stylus isn't the problem

I have tried numerous styli in the hopes to be able to handwrite on my iPad. All these styli try to make smaller and smaller tips, which is definitely needed, (although there is a minimum radius needed for touchscreen detection, and that is still bigger than any pen I use).

However, the main issue is touchscreen latency, which is still way TOO HIGH for any amount of speedy writing. Until Apple brings it down from 100ms to 1ms (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOvQCPLkPt4 - Microsoft Research), handwriting on touch devices will be too cumbersome.

zecks420

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2011
This and Notability is gonna be amazing... :D

----------

I have tried numerous styli in the hopes to be able to handwrite on my iPad. All these styli try to make smaller and smaller tips, which is definitely needed, (although there is a minimum radius needed for touchscreen detection, and that is still bigger than any pen I use).

However, the main issue is touchscreen latency, which is still way TOO HIGH for any amount of speedy writing. Until they bring it down from 100ms to 1ms (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOvQCPLkPt4 - Microsoft Research), handwriting on touch devices will be too cumbersome.

I find Notability to be amazing... they have the magnification in the bottom that allows to write effortless and small even with the bulbous tip stylus they have now. It really is a ingenious app..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.