Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ios_7_ota-250x287.jpg
A week after the introduction of Apple's new iOS 7 mobile operating system, users of iOS 6 across the internet are expressing discontent due to automatic downloads of the new software update, reports CNET.

Specifically, users who still have iOS 6 installed are experiencing self-starting over-the-air (OTA) downloads for iOS 7 to their devices when connected to AC power, averaging around 1 GB per download and occupying 3.1 GB of storage. While the update does not automatically install itself and requires user authentication, the download does not show up in the storage submenu within settings.

The issue is especially problematic for users with little space on their existing devices, as filled space can cause various problems with file management and device efficiency.
CNET confirmed the behavior on both an iPhone 4 as well as a fourth-generation iPad, both of which were running the latest version of iOS 6 before 7 arrived. For the iPad, the download began within minutes of turning on the device and plugging it into A/C power. When finished on both devices, it accounted for a little more than 3GB of space that was previously available on the device, and did not show up in the storage management settings submenu.
Last year, users reported similar behavior with the iOS 6 OTA update occurring for those on iOS 5. Earlier this week, Apple claimed that more than 200 million iOS devices are running iOS 7, making it the fastest software upgrade in history.

Article Link: iOS 6 Users Expressing Discontent Over Automatic iOS 7 Over-the-Air Downloads

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
When you're forced to give up 3GB+ of storage for an update you may not even want, that's unacceptable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Treq

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2009
Santa Monica, CA
Not until there is a jailbreak so I can fix the horrible UI.
There are some nice improvements but the UI is just not one of them... Flat is not where it's at.

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
There are some nice improvements but the UI is just not one of them... Flat is not where it's at.

Used to jailbreak. Not anymore. Meh.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
It's often not up to the users. At my work, company-owned phones may not be updated to 7.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Have you spent any time with it? You'll find that flat is not so bad. When I first heard that iOS 7 was going to be "flat", I said "yuck!", but it's more than just a flat UI, it's an entirely different approach that works really well. Depth was added in a different way.

DoctorFedora

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
When you're forced to give up 3GB+ of storage for an update you may not even want, that's unacceptable.

But… that 3GB is just unpacking space for setup. You get it all back once installation is complete.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC

So why wouldn't you want it? It performs better than iOS 6 on the same hardware. My 3 year old iPhone 4 is like a brand new phone. Performance is better all around, especially activating the camera. That used to drive me NUTS in iOS 6! Sometimes it would take 10 seconds or more for the camera to become active. Now it's nearly instant in iOS 7.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013

Nah, I'll just fix the icons. Overall GUI hacks don't sound good.

----------

So why wouldn't you want it? It performs better than iOS 6 on the same hardware. My 3 year old iPhone 4 is like a brand new phone. Performance is better all around, especially activating the camera. That used to drive me NUTS in iOS 6! Sometimes it would take 10 seconds or more for the camera to active. Quick and instant in iOS 7.

Ugh, the camera in iOS 6 took forever on an iPhone 4. iOS 7 is also noticeably faster on my iPhone 5 than iOS 6 was.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
Have you spent any time with it? You'll find that flat is not so bad. When I first heard that iOS 7 was going to be "flat", I said "yuck!", but it's more than just a flat UI, it's an entirely different approach that works really well. Depth was added in a different way.

I did, and it still sucks.

BillyTrimble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013
Cry me a river. Update your damn phones. 7 is heaven.

How ignorant. If someone chooses not update, that's their business. Just remember what you said when you are forced to do something you don't want to do, such as when your parents forced you to eat your vegetables at dinner tonight.

BillyTrimble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013
But… that 3GB is just unpacking space for setup. You get it all back once installation is complete.

And if you don't want the update how do get that space back. I'm sure you have already thought about this and can explain to those interested.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
It's not heaven on a 4. Slower, and not as pretty without all the translucency. Ditto with an ipad3! So all it's greatness is only supported on iPad 4 (a measly 6 months newer). It's white interface is meh. The app switcher is lame. Folders are lame. Notifications are messy. Control center is cool.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
How ignorant. If someone chooses not update, that's their business. Just remember what you said when you are forced to do something you don't want to do, such as when your parents forced you to eat your vegetables at dinner tonight.

You're not forced to enable automatic over-the-air updates. Why enable it if you don't want the update? Sounds like a problem that demands the "world's smallest violin" to play.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
So why wouldn't you want it? It performs better than iOS 6 on the same hardware. My 3 year old iPhone 4 is like a brand new phone. Performance is better all around, especially activating the camera. That used to drive me NUTS in iOS 6! Sometimes it would take 10 seconds or more for the camera to become active. Now it's nearly instant in iOS 7.

It's been tested and every single function on ios7 is slower than its counterpart on ios6 on iPhone 4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.