Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bibbler

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2007
The Mon Valley!
A good question would be who walks into Staples anymore :D

I'm in Staples at least once a week. There is one just a few miles from my house. I buy cartridges for all 3 of my printers as well accessories (cables, keyboards, mice, jump drives). I also buy all my supplies such as printer paper, blank CD's and DVD's).... I have also found it an excellent place to buy RAM, and have on several occasions. Since I ship a lot overnight, I take advantage of their UPS service regularly....

I've actually bought a Hard Drive there for my home server as well. Over the years, I think I've bought several there. The place is generally very busy when I'm there (which is usually early in morning).

I guess a good question would be what kind a person comes off as an elitist trying to act like he is too good to walk into staples? :D

Last edited:

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
This. I thought retailers generally did not make much on Apple products.. And that they only sold them to sell accessories and other stuff..

Agreed. It's like Walmart and iPhones. It gets people in the door where they hopefully buy other typical Walmart items that they make a profit on.

hashholly

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2008
ink recycling --> Staples rewards --> free ipads.

And this is the question of the day, will Staple allow you to use rewards to buy Apple iPads / iPods......because if they do, they may have our company switching from Office Depot to Staples, lol.

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
A good question would be who walks into Staples anymore :D

Not me, I get free Amazon Prime deliveries of paper and inks and, so much more, to the door cheaper and don't waste gas or have to stand in line waiting for a slow check out person who tries to sell me a warrantee on my paper ... (Kidding but you know what I mean).

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
My experiences shopping at staples over the years have been pretty consistent, no matter the location. Whatever I've been there to buy has usually been in some locked cabinet, requiring an employee to get it for me. Most of be employees are either shuffling around and avoiding making eye contact with customers, or busy talking amongst themselves. No registers are open, so you have checkout at the service desk behind a couple people who are returning items.

Other than a few locations that seemed to have decent business, most of the stores have been sleepy, dusty affairs where not a whole lot seems to be getting done.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Not me, I get free Amazon Prime deliveries of paper and inks and, so much more, to the door cheaper and don't waste gas or have to stand in line waiting for a slow check out person who tries to sell me a warrantee on my paper ... (Kidding but you know what I mean).

No way Amazon would beat Staples on ink or paper pricing (and possibly other office supply items too) if you live or work near a Staples store.

Staples has their Rewards program (free to sign up for) which gives you 5% back on your purchases and $2 back for each ink or toner cartridge you recycle with them.

Then there's the frequent paper and ink specials they run such as:

- a ream of paper for free or $1 after Staples Easy Rebate (an Easy Rebate is one that's submitted online)
- a pack of photo paper for free or $1 after Easy Rebate
- a 10 ream case of paper for free or $20 after Easy Rebate. You can sometimes even make money (such as $16) on a case of paper when you combine one of their coupons with an Easy Rebate.
- double rewards, i.e. 10% back instead of the regular 5% on ink and toner purchases and $4 back instead of the regular $2 for ink recycling.

Then there's all the coupons you can get... 10% off, 15% off, $5 off, $10 off, $20 off, etc.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Staples has their Rewards program (free to sign up for) which gives you 5% back on your purchases and $2 back for each ink or toner cartridge you recycle with them.

I saved up some ink carts and went to Staples to buy a resupply, hoping to get the $2 per cart. Nope. You had to have bought the ink there in the first place, it had to be $30 worth or more, and it had to have been within a certain time limit which is too short for how long my ink cartridges last. You also had to have a Staples member card and tracked the purchases in the first place.

These offers have so many hidden conditions that it's not worth my time and effort to attempt to follow the system for $2. It's far easier to simply buy them when they are on sale.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
I'm in Staples at least once a week. There is one just a few miles from my house. I buy cartridges for all 3 of my printers as well accessories (cables, keyboards, mice, jump drives). I also buy all my supplies such as printer paper, blank CD's and DVD's).... I have also found it an excellent place to buy RAM, and have on several occasions. Since I ship a lot overnight, I take advantage of their UPS service regularly....

I've actually bought a Hard Drive there for my home server as well. Over the years, I think I've bought several there. The place is generally very busy when I'm there (which is usually early in morning).

I guess a good question would be what kind a person comes off as an elitist trying to act like he is too good to walk into staples? :D

Elitist? :confused:
It has nothing to do with being an 'elitist'. It's just that I haven't had a need to go into a Staples in forever. I never hear any of my friends saying "I've got to run to Staples real quick" or anytime I ask where did you get insert electronic/other item here and they answer Staples.

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
And this is the question of the day, will Staple allow you to use rewards to buy Apple iPads / iPods......because if they do, they may have our company switching from Office Depot to Staples, lol.

you can use rewards to buy anything in the store or online (if you have a balance left in store, you get a balance coupon; if you have a balance online, you lose it)

Here are the exclusions:
Staples Rewards cannot be redeemed for or applied against cash, taxes, credit remittance, delivery charges, custom printing orders placed online, promotional products, any purchases made on print.staples.com, documents.staples.com, staplespromotionalproducts.com, staplescustomprinting.btobsource.com, appcenter.staples.com, gift cards, prepaid phone cards, postage stamps, prior purchases, Staples Industrial(sm) purchases, purchases made on staplesmobile.com, or purchases on third-party Web sites.

Besides ... some coupons work on Apple products right now too (online and in store), even though it's in the exclusions... Trust me, you want Staples to sell iPads and iPods ..

Last edited:

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Not sure why it's a big deal. Apple products are sold almost everywhere now.. :confused:

Good for them; what took them so long? I agree it's a moot point now for many consumers. When I think of Apple products, I don't immediately think of Staples, in fact I don't think of Staples at all. No offense intended.
Nevertheless more options for us can only be good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.