Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
iPad + S-Pen would be the ultimate win, would kill the galaxy note series in one fell swoop (coming from a Galaxy Note 8.0 user). This however looks to be the next best thing, would love to see it compared to the S-Pen in terms of accuracy and lag. If it's only usable in Evernote, that'd be fine by me, though it never hurts to have added functionality.

Coming from a Note 2 to iphone 5s I disagree with your comment. Apple needs to release a S-pen like device with full OS integration; not some third party app developer supporting just a handful of apps. The s-pen is the heart of the Note series, pulls right out from the body and does not require batteries.
I would have gotten a Note 3 but I'm tired of rooting/hacking my phone in order to have the latest software or remove bloatware that carriers love to add. If Android oem's updated their software as quick as Google releases it I would not have an iphone. I would have gotten a Nexus 5 but some how Verizon was able to mess that up.

nicroma

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009
Midwest, USA
Out of curiosity, can someone explain to me why the stylus needs bluetooth for it to work? I figured it would work without it. :confused:

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
I have tried numerous styli in the hopes to be able to handwrite on my iPad. All these styli try to make smaller and smaller tips, which is definitely needed, (although there is a minimum radius needed for touchscreen detection, and that is still bigger than any pen I use).

However, the main issue is touchscreen latency, which is still way TOO HIGH for any amount of speedy writing. Until Apple brings it down from 100ms to 1ms (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOvQCPLkPt4 - Microsoft Research), handwriting on touch devices will be too cumbersome.

If I assume correctly from this article, the iPad with Retina has only half of that latency measurement.

http://m.imore.com/iphone-5-touchscreen-latency-measured-found-be-25-times-faster-closest-android-device

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
Who wants a stylus!?

God gave us 10 styluses—let’s not invent another.

There's a huge difference between a stylus and a pen.

A stylus is a primary input device; a pen is a supplemental input device for handwriting and drawing.

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
So what's the deal with this stylus? Is it pressure sensitive? Bluetooth as far as I can tell. Are the tips replaceable?

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Hmmmm, interesting, I'd like to check this out further. I bought a Maglus with my mini thinking it'd be great for school and taking notes, but the nib is just too fat and though a stylus can work with the iPads, they're not great and I don't use it anymore. This, however, might be better, the thin nib looks great, but as someone points out, what's the lag, also, what's the accuracy.

I can't imagine that Apple isn't thinking about supporting these properly in the future, this latest release even saw support for game controllers, so there is hope perhaps one day they might wake up and support these properly.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Me. I would like a stylus. Hand writing notes with your finger does not work.

I do.

Why dont you go paint something with your fingers and then compare it to using a brush?

For those of us that weren't taught to write by dipping our finger tips in ink a fine tip pen provides immensely better results.

there's a reason only children paint with their fingers. precision and control.

There's a huge difference between a stylus and a pen.

A stylus is a primary input device; a pen is a supplemental input device for handwriting and drawing.

What you responded to was something that Steve Jobs had said. It did not originate with me.

Google it.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I like it, just too expensive for my wallet, I would get it for $40 if it works as advertised and if many apps would use it plus make it work for both android & iOS.

mac 2005

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Chicago
$75? I wish Apple would invest more resources into supporting a pen that worked like a traditional stylus instead of visual gimmicks like the parallax effect. How does a visual trick improve the usability of the device? :mad:

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
I would love to see an officially-supported stylus on the iPad. Jobs' views notwithstanding, this area is one where Apple currently lags behind the competition.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
$75? I wish Apple would invest more resources into supporting a pen that worked like a traditional stylus instead of visual gimmicks like the parallax effect. How does a visual trick improve the usability of the device? :mad:

Form AND function, both.

I agree it's something they should look at, I'm not sure why they don't (or perhaps it's more they haven't yet but plan to at some point), but "visual gimmicks" as you judgmentally declare them to be are quite interesting to other people and rather visually appealing and add to the aesthetics of iOS, which should complement the focus on design of the hardware, something that sets Apple apart from other companies.

Xeperu

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2010
Form AND function, both.

I agree it's something they should look at, I'm not sure why they don't (or perhaps it's more they haven't yet but plan to at some point), but "visual gimmicks" as you judgmentally declare them to be are quite interesting to other people and rather visually appealing and add to the aesthetics of iOS, which should complement the focus on design of the hardware, something that sets Apple apart from other companies.

YEah, no. Apple is turning into a "me too" company. You use fancy words to give your comment "more worth", but it's full of fanboyish bs.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
1, I really hope it'll be as precise as they say. I, though, have doubts - there is just no way to create a pen as dependable and precise as a Wacom pen based on simply accelerometer / gyroscope readings. Absolutely impossible.

2, hope they also give us a JB tool to allow the use of the pen in any app as a generic pointing device. it's certainly posssible - see BluTrol, for example.

----------

Absolutely agreed. A lot of people would welcome decent Wacom pen support in iPads. These people may go straight for the 2014 model of the Samsung Note 10.1 or the new Surface Pro mostly because

- the pen support
- they aren't (considerably) more expensive than the comparable iPad
- the new Surface Pro is a GREAT device

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
YEah, no. Apple is turning into a "me too" company. You use fancy words to give your comment "more worth", but it's full of fanboyish bs.

[rolls eyes]

Just because you claim it is so doesn't make it so, and I never said anything that should lead you to say what you said, except it seems to me that some people will use any excuse whatsoever to attack Apple, it's quite popular with some people to do such silly and juvenile things, and if you read my signature you'll admit now that you just lost this conversation.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Sure, because writing class notes using your finger is awesome.

I used to use Palm OS stuff. The handwriting recognition was awesome. The stylus worked great.

When Steve spouted that stuff about using your fingers, I had thoughts similar to yours.

But what flummoxes me is when similar statements are made today by the current execs, people still eat it up instead of thinking about it and responding using critical reasoning.

cheesyappleuser

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
Portugal
I used to use Palm OS stuff. The handwriting recognition was awesome. The stylus worked great.

When Steve spouted that stuff about using your fingers, I had thoughts similar to yours.

But what flummoxes me is when similar statements are made today by the current execs, people still eat it up instead of thinking about it and responding using critical reasoning.

I don't mean stylus for using the device per se. That simply doesn't work and it's not practic.
But if you want to write notes for class it is much better with a stylus. Call it a pen if you like, because it works more that way

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
I don't mean stylus for using the device per se. That simply doesn't work and it's not practic.
But if you want to write notes for class it is much better with a stylus. Call it a pen if you like, because it works more that way

I used to use my finger with the Palm device too. The iDevices made it such that a good stylus could no longer be used.

I find that having no stylus available is much like having no file system available. I really dislike how iOS is so dumbed down.

Simple is good. Dumbed down is not.

i was appalled at how little functionality iOS had compared to Palm. Heck - you can't even put the icons where you want them, much less switch to a more fully-functioned launcher. You still cannot use an iOS device as portable external storage, can you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.