Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
What do unlimited data users do whom do not have wifi? Come on Apple make it a soft cap that people can override.:mad:

Jailbreak. The silliness of having a couple 60MB apps that aren't allowed is just dumb. Obviously, extremely large apps could be a different story.

I don't do it typically, but I have downloaded a 1.4GB app over cellular. Usually for truly large apps, I use wifi at home, and while others are sleeping or absent, so I can have the pipe to myself and get it done reasonably fast. Like IB III yesterday morning.

(of course, I do have wifi also)

kwrzesien

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2013
100 MB sounds right

50 MB didn't cut it, I often wanted to try a new app while out and about and was blocked from installing it. Meanwhile I am tethering my laptop and VPN'ing to work via my phone using GB's.

Looking at my Usage my apps are either under 100 MB or over 1.2 GB. A few look like they are 177 MB (Facebook) but are really 112 MB of data.

----------

Ahhh, I see your point now. Well said.

I couldn't agree more that 32GB should be the base(especially with the iPad)- with app, video, and picture sizes being what they are.

lol I never buy any iDevice that doesn't have the max storage capacity anymore so I totally get where you are coming from.

I see your point on the 5s and would argue that the 32 GB iPhone 5c should have been $149-$179.

evaporateddwarf

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2010
Stop wrapping us in bubble wrap Apple. Set it to 100mb as default and let US decide our own damn limit in the settings. For those of us on (real) unlimited data we couldnt give a crap if the file is 100mb or 1000mb.

----------

It's really not. No dev is going to sacrifice app quality just because Apple is enforcing a stupid download limit when you're not on wifi.

ORLY? So it's just coincidence that tons of apps slide in just under 50mb?

flurffmeister

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2008
And 14.8GB of your apps, you don't use.

I've seen that argument a lot. "You don't need that much storage, blah blah stream, something something cloud"

A lot of music use is moving to live streaming, and that's fine, because audio is comparably tiny - 256 kbps or less, a few megs a song for a few minutes of use, which is easy for any connection to muster most days. So for a lot of people, they don't need to keep their music libraries on device. That's great. Then there's apps, photos, and videos. There is no "app streaming" to speak of--you either have the app or you don't, you can't live stream just the parts of the app you're using. Photos and videos still don't have a good integrated "streaming" solution on iPhone (iCloud photo stream is incomplete and doesn't save videos). Combine that with some particular quirks about running out of capacity on the device, and you have a pretty good case for a larger capacity.

Have you ever wanted to play something that you haven't played in a while, but oh shucks, seems you deleted it and you'll have to download it again. But wait, you remember that you skimped out and got the 16 gig phone, which is effectively 14 gigs, but really only 11 gigs, because if you try to install an app when there's only a few gigs free, it'll complain about not having enough space until you delete a few more. That, plus the inconvenience of the 100 MB download limit or the requirement to hang around at a wifi hotspot.

Have you ever taken a video umpteen years ago and wanted to go back and relive that memory, but oh shucks, seems it's stuck on your computer meanwhile you're on a boat or a plane (or are superman). Sure, you could pay the outrageous fees for an internet connection in the air/sea, and then fetch it through iClou...oh wait, you can't.

These are just a couple of the many reasons why I want a 128 gig iPhone. Sync ALL the things. Not just to hoard, but because you never know when and what you'll want to share with friends and family, and you don't want to delete those things just to make space for using it day to day.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Really? How many of those apps do you use on a daily basis? Weekly basis?

I use Twitter, Facebook, iBank, 3 bank apps, 2 investment bank apps, bloomberg, accufuel, pages, microsoft lync, iphoto, 1password, dropbox, google voice, foursquare, remote, linkedin, yelp, and 4-5 games at least on a daily or weekly basis. Then there's apps like pages and numbers i use for work on and off or for personal use. Then you have the apps when you pay your bills online or check balances like my AT&T, Target, American Express apps..

On my iPad I use SHOtime, HBO Go, ABC, etc..

That's just what I can think of off the top of my head - there's so many more apps I use between work and personal use. I don't keep apps on my iPhone that I don't use regularly.

Zordar

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2013
So my daughter has a new iphone 5, and while we were doing errands yesterday she was trying to download a new game. She was getting the message that the app was greater than 100mb, and would download only via wifi. I played with the settings for a while with no luck of course, and finally googled the problem which led me to this thread.
I can't believe that a company could be this controlling about an issue that is none of their business. A warning about download size would suffice. This issue alone is enough to ensure I will never have an iphone.
My daughter and I are on a family plan, both with LTE and unlimited data, but it seems her "unlimited" is not equal to mine.
Ironically enough, my Galaxy s4 came to the rescue by giving my daughter wifi Hotspot access! (On the same network she SHOULD be able use without limits or arbitrary 100mb caps.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So my daughter has a new iphone 5, and while we were doing errands yesterday she was trying to download a new game. She was getting the message that the app was greater than 100mb, and would download only via wifi. I played with the settings for a while with no luck of course, and finally googled the problem which led me to this thread.
I can't believe that a company could be this controlling about an issue that is none of their business. A warning about download size would suffice. This issue alone is enough to ensure I will never have an iphone.
My daughter and I are on a family plan, both with LTE and unlimited data, but it seems her "unlimited" is not equal to mine.
Ironically enough, my Galaxy s4 came to the rescue by giving my daughter wifi Hotspot access! (On the same network she SHOULD be able use without limits or arbitrary 100mb caps.
The carriers don't want to have the bandwidth they provide used up by large application downloads. That's mostly what it comes down to. Not exactly all that irrational on their part.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.